Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ain't gonna talk about how, haha, but this plastichrome piece is broken. Anyone know if I can access the internals from beneath the plastic liner on the interior of the rear door?

I'm trying to formulate an idea of how to fix/reattach it.

Tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Is the visible trim broken, or just the mounting stud? If it's just the stud, then you should visit the shrine of the epoxy god, JBWELD. Remove the trim piece and stud carefully, epoxy the stud back together, and reinstall carefully.

I don't think that you can access this from the inside of the door. The trim appears to be pushed into place from the outside. The mounting stud simply pushes into the socket mounted in the door panel. You can probably get a new stud at Honda, (just a guess, I have not worked on this spot.) Use a plastic body pry to finish removing the trim from door panel. Pry right next to the studs. If they don't want to let go, use a heat gun, or maybe spray a little silicone in there. Work it out gently, so you don't break anything else. When you are ready to tap the trim back into position, you can put a little silicone grease in the receptors first, and use a rubber hammer gently right over the stud points.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Epoxy should put it back together or even some windshield silicone in case you ever decide to remove it and replace. The other issue is the dent behind the plastic/chrome trim piece. That might need to be bumped back out for a proper fit.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I backed into a shopping cart, on purpose sort of almost, like I thokught I had enough room and was gonna stop and go slowly but I badly misjudged where it was at it was stuck in place so it didn't bounce off but jammed up and pushed this piece off the posts.

I can't figure out yet how to push it back on, doesn't fit. It might be ok even broken I just need to get it squeezed onto the posts.

·
Registered
2007 EX-L
420 Posts
You can't push it back on. The stud needs to be put in the piece that's loose, and then attached to the body. The stud may need to be JB welded to the trim piece first, as that plastic gets brittle.

·
Registered
746 Posts
As I fairly recently replaced the camera on my Pilot, the sequence is:
Carefully pry off the upper inner trim on the tailgate. It is just clips.
On the inside of the tailgate, there is a pull strap. Pop off the cover, remove the bolt underneath.
On the bottom edge of the tailgate, there is an insert with a detent - like a handle. On power tailgate models it also houses the button. Kinda hard to pry it out without breaking, but it needs to come out.
Make sure your tailgate glass is also open. Now you can carefully pry off the lower inner trim of the tailgate. Work slowly, be patient. Loosen the bottom and sides, then you can unhook it from glass lock.
Once trim is off, you can access the two nuts that hold in place those studs. You also want to disconnect the connectors coming through that rubber grommet (camera, glass release button, license plate lights) so that you can remove the piece completely for repair. That white plastic clip in the middle, squeeze it with pliers a bit from the inside so you can remove it too.

On the trim piece, the plastic likely broke/deformed around the stud and center clip slots. Try to restore the shape as much as you can and epoxy the stud back in place. If center clip will not stay in its place, glue it in as well. Then reassemble.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,323 Posts
Is it the photo, or did you dent the tailgate as well? If so that dent will have to be sorted out before you can put the trim back on properly. If you want to Mcgyver it in the short term, some double sided 3m tape will hold the plastichrome on the door.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My kid was like "that's not like you dad... 😳". Lol I surprised myself too. Stupid.

I don't think it's dented, it looks like the shape of the metal underneath. But I don't know for sure.

Thanks for all the ideas and comments.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
at first i saw the reflected driveway crack and though daaaaamn
Hahaha yah I posted this from my phone and now looking at my computer screen I'm all examining my carport and the details you can see, lol. Bunch of stuff I didn't notice before.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
119 Posts
I would recommend looking into paint less dent removal to straighten out this area. It is a perfect candidate for this method of repair for the body work. Search PDR in YouTube. Pretty incredible what can be done.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yah the car came with a line-shaped dent on the back door, next to the license plate, like someone let if lift up and bang into something. I have wanted to get that dent removed and I am considering having it all repaired at the same time.

If I don't just tape it on, hahaha (joking)

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
I would recommend looking into paint less dent removal to straighten out this area. It is a perfect candidate for this method of repair for the body work. Search PDR in YouTube. Pretty incredible what can be done.
PDR guy was an inexpensive and beautiful fix, in my case. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have little/no experience removing interior panels on a car, like for the rear hatch I want to get off.

Is there like a tool kit somewhere with flat prying things to get them off? What do I need, where do I get it/them?

@scorrpio @Cousin Itt or anyone else who sees this, thanks

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I have little/no experience removing interior panels on a car, like for the rear hatch I want to get off.

Is there like a tool kit somewhere with flat prying things to get them off? What do I need, where do I get it/them?
This is a great starter set to start the job . You’ll be taking the whole interior out in no time
Gesture Font Rectangle Slope Paper product

1 - 20 of 24 Posts