Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I went to the dealer to pick up my white Pilot EX-L today only to find out that it was damaged while being unloaded off the truck. The roof was dented and rails were damaged....

Do I let the dealer fix it and ask for a discount or wait for an '04 whe n they arrive? The dealer was only slightly under MSRP and I don't think he will move to much even with the damage.

What to do ...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry to hear it - you will be waiting no matter what you choose - I would not let them fix it - get you a new 03 or give you a 04...since they are not discounting that much, they should be able to absorb the increase on the 04... remember they are only paying around 27000 for an EXL...(at least for the 03) Good luck my friend...

·
Registered
365 Posts
I wouldn't take it unless they discounted it like a demo model. Even then, I wouldn't want that kind of damage on a new $30,000 vehicle. The 04's will be out next month, so I would hold off if you can.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
IMO, get what you paid for, a brand new Pilot. Don't settle for less.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My suggestion....don't let emotions drive your decision. I know you've been waiting for this vehicle and had your heart set on picking it up. But, it ain't now the vehicle you had hoped for. Ask them for another '03 or negotiate a deal on an '04.

·
Registered
158 Posts
DO NOT take that repaired 03 no matter what. That does not sound like very minor damage. When you buy a brand new car, you should expect to get a brand new car.

Look for another 03 or wait for an 04 model. I know prices are very dependent on the demand in your area. In my area (Los Angeles, CA) Pilots are still in very short supply. Most dealers do not have the specific model or color I was looking for and practically every one was asking for MSRP or only giving $500 to $700 off MSRP - for 03 models that are practically 1 yr old!

So, I took wwong's advice and e-mailed every Honda dealer in my area with an offer of $300 over invoice for the 03 model pilots. Within 1 hour, I had 3 offers for the exact model I was looking for for $1,500 off MSRP.

I guess my point is, while Pilots are in high demand, they are NOT RARE by any means. Walk away and keep looking. e-mail all the dealers that are close enough to your area that you wouldn't mind driving to with a clear offer. Let them know you are ready to buy immediately. It is very likely that you will get a better deal and definitely a car w/o any damage.

Good luck.

Glen

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just an FYI if you want to wait for an '04. My dealer told me today my '04 will be built the 3rd week of August and should arrive the first week in Sept. Not too long to wait if you choose to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The salesman that I am dealing with willnot negociate on price until the vehicle is back from repair. It is the last '03 they are receiving that is not already sold and they do not have an ETA on the '04's yet. I am trying to work some other deals, but almost everything in the state is coming in pre-sold. I have started looking in Utah, Idaho and Wyoming.

I still have my Audi A6 to drive until I find one.

Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
alexc said:
So, I went to the dealer to pick up my white Pilot EX-L today only to find out that it was damaged while being unloaded off the truck. The roof was dented and rails were damaged....
...What to do ...
Did you get the VIN number? It would be interesting to see if it shows up here sometime.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can get it. The body that is fixing it is owned by a friend of mine.

I was also told by the dealership that one of the early '03's they had come in had over $3700.00 in damage from shipping, they showed it to the customer and they still bought it for MSRP. I think they were trying to tell they won't deal on it after it has been repaired.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hey alexc, there is no way that they could discount that vehicle enough to be worth buying after that repair, even by a quailified body shop. You will never match the quality of a factory refinish.

The only way I would consider taking that vehicle is if you were going to lease it, but if you're buying it, I'd rather wait and find another vehicle.

Best of luck !

·
Registered
113 Posts
DEALER BS!!! Do not fall for it.....

Hey,

As most of the other members have said. Just say no!! I would drop the deal and go to another dealer.

Check with Park Honda in Akron Ohio. Shipping is not too bad... From Akron to Montana would problebly run you 600 to 700 bucks. Of course their discount off MSRP will depend on their supply.

I think I would wait for a 2k4 myself.....

I had a dealer tell me one time that Honda doesn't sell its demo vehicles, it crushes them....... Needless to say that dealer will never get my business.

Heck I wouldn't even recommend the dealer I bought it from to anyone.

GET THAT VIN AND POST IT ON THE WEBSITE.... Then if someone buys it and shows up we can let them know. If the dealer doesn't tell them there could be a big rukus!

Wait for the 2004.........

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I am going to try and wait for the 04, I just hope I can get one before the middle of September for a family road trip from Bozeman to San Diego. If not I will just need to rent a car since my Audi will be sold by then and I don't want to drive my F-150 2500 miles round trip.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
:rolleyes: if it is dented or damaged do not take it! should be $5000 off the msrp or even less.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Don't take it-check CA for Pilots on trip

I guess we all agree.Don't take the damaged one.
You are right about the dealer setting you up for no discount"someone bought one with $3700 worth of damage for full MSRP"-that statement means he doesn't intend to discount it much.I wonder if they have to disclose repaired cosmetic damage on a new car-probably not.
I would try to hold out for a 04,but I doubt there will be significant upgrades(like curtain airbags).Might have the heated seats??In Louisiana they would be a complete waste(I didn't even know there was such a thing till 6 months ago),but in Montana they might come in handy.
Why don't you troll CA-online-for Pilots-03 or 04?I have seen some claims of good prices in CA-well under MSRP(also seen clains of many dealers not budging off MSRP-very regional).I have noticed that there seem to be fewer Pilots on the lots lately;the dealers claim it is because of continuing demand,but more likely they are being cautious because they don't want to be stuck with 03's once the 04's come out.Make a separate posting for good CA prices.
You could rent something,and then drop it off(will cost more to do this),or just drive 2 vehicles back-if the price is right.Might defeat the purpose of a vacation,of course.Luck,Charlie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's my next option. I just spoke with another dealer about 400 miles from here that said he has 2 '04s being built next week with an ETA of the last week of August. He wants MSRP + $990.00. He told me it would include the Heated Seats and Mirrors. He also mentioned that the Sunroof and standard 6 disc in-dash changer will be standard 2005.

I have talked with all 7 dealers in the state and there are only 2 pilots in stock, one is 2k over MSRP.

I'll keep shopping.

·
Registered
305 Posts
OK, so we just recently found out what the '04s have and this guy is claiming he knows what will be in the '05s? Ok then..:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Qbrozen said:
OK, so we just recently found out what the '04s have and this guy is claiming he knows what will be in the '05s? Ok then..:rolleyes:
For $50 I'll let you in on what the '06 Pilots will have!!!

:5: :5:

Although - the two items listed for the '05 do sound almost believable. Time will tell!!

:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Qbrozen said:
When did we find out what the '04s have? I've heard rumors, but nothing confirmed. I would love to know since my '04 is suppose to be here in 3-4 weeks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts