Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are these things related?

Well, in doing my reading on this site, I came across several postings related to the fact that Saturn is going to put Honda engines in its "RED LINE" version VUEs (and other vehicles). It also stated that there woud be a hybrid VUE in 2005....

Which led me to conclude that it would be a Honda hybrid stuff in the VUE in 2005...

Which led me to ponder whether the hybrid might be available in a real vehicle (e.g., the Pilot) in 2005...

Which led me to ponder whether "HOV" access currently provided to hybrids and motorcycles is based on achieving a certain MPG or whether any "hybrid" engine would be able to obtain the special license plate allowing HOV access (a BIG deal for those of us sitting in traffic in the DC area). Or what MPG a hybrid Pilot might obtain. But then... would you want a hybrid in its first production year? The acquisition horizon just keeps getting further away...

Just when Florida_Guy was settling in on the 2004, along comes this unsettling thread...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Flurry of activity... what happened DC Gang?

in response to this post?

Not even a sheepish "Baaahhhhhhhh, guess I'll be looking at the 2006 Pilots now" from Florida_Boy.

seriously, anyone know what the HOV rule is with respect to hybrids?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Flurry of activity... what happened DC Gang?

Bigrob said:

Not even a sheepish "Baaahhhhhhhh, guess I'll be looking at the 2006 Pilots now" from Florida_Boy.

Okay - here you go!!!

When I want to run in the HOV lane, I simply ride my motorcycle!!
:2:

(sorry - couldn't resist)

In answer to your question - I bet it will start at the FED level and work down to a state level in any kind of "ruling" as to what qualifies for the HOV lane.

YMMV

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Flurry of activity... what happened DC Gang?

Bigrob said:

If 1 person in a 30MPG Accord does not get to drive in the HOV lanes, then why would one person in a 30MPG Pilot?
:2: :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good question. Maybe the answer is that the government is willing to help "subsidize" hybrid technology by providing a benefit to those willing to be early adopters. Certainly a 30 MPG ULEV Pilot is better for the environment than a 17 MPG Pilot.

But maybe the requirements will be hybrid and minimum MPG rating.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
one explanation

Pulled this off the WashingtonDOT website.....

--------------
Can single drivers in fuel-efficient vehicles or hybrids travel in the HOV lane?
No. Fuel-efficient and clean-fuel vehicles reduce the amount of pollutants in the environment and improve the air we breathe. These vehicles do not, however, contribute to reducing traffic congestion when they are operated with only a single occupant. The main purpose of the HOV system is to move people, not vehicles. As a single-occupant vehicle, fuel-efficient cars do not increase the number of people moved on a freeway HOV lane.

The state of California recently made a change to their HOV policy to allow electric cars, or gas/electric hybrids to use HOV lanes with only one person in the vehicle. They instituted this change because of severe air quality conditions and an existing state environmental law requiring that a certain percentage of all vehicles sold in California be low emission vehicles. Allowing electric vehicles in the HOV lane gives citizens and carmakers incentive to buy/produce vehicles. Air quality in Washington urban areas has not reached a level to warrant implementing similar laws allowing electric vehicles use of HOV lanes.

------------

At least they are thinking about it in some places. I don't think the door is closed to a change (someday).

YMMV

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess that's Washington State, because in the DC area... at least Northern Virginia... single-passenger gas/electric hybrids ARE allowed in HOV lanes and have special license plates.

But interesting article, does explain the rationale. Another interesting observation... as more vehicles qualify for travel in HOVs, the advantage of traveling in them decreases. I have noticed in our area that there is often little advantage to the HOV lanes, at least on I-66, and they can be difficult to get to (crossing several lanes to get to and from them.) Add the fact that it's a benefit that could get "whacked" at any point... and... I think Florida_Boy is getting reassured that a 2004 might not be a mistakenly early purchase after all.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is off the topic, but

Bigrob,

I notice from your signature that you live in Nothern Virginia. Kemosabe is calling a lunch gathering on June 14th. We havn't decided where to go, however, if you are interested, please check the MD/DC/VA lunch thread down on the Club section.

About HOV,

I agree with the WashingtonDOT. It is congestion not the polution that is the major headache of the DC traffic problem.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, thanks for the pointer about the luncheon on the 14th... maybe I can join in even though I'm competing with Florida_Guy for the award of Most Posts Prior to Pilot Purchase. (MPPPP).

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Bigrob said:
Hey, thanks for the pointer about the luncheon on the 14th... maybe I can join in even though I'm competing with Florida_Guy for the award of Most Posts Prior to Pilot Purchase. (MPPPP).
I can loan you my Maisto diecast model of a Silver Pilot so that you don't feel left out... :D

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Bigrob: I missed this thread yesterday... First, is that HOV hybrid/electric car rule only valid in VA? Because across the Potomac here in MD on I-270, AFAIK, the only exceptions for the HOV lanes are motorcycles and buses. No mention of hybrid or electric cars, nor special license plates either....

When I cruise the HOV lanes, I just blow up my inflatable doll and plop it in the passenger seat..... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: This is off the topic, but

aerostar45 said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

About HOV,

I agree with the WashingtonDOT. It is congestion not the polution that is the major headache of the DC traffic problem.
Agree wit'cha on that one there, aerostar45!!!! Throw in an accident on a Friday afternoon on the Beltway and get ready to spend hours to get to Happy Hour..... :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Bigrob said:
I guess that's Washington State, because in the DC area... at least Northern Virginia... single-passenger gas/electric hybrids ARE allowed in HOV lanes and have special license plates.

But interesting article, does explain the rationale. Another interesting observation... as more vehicles qualify for travel in HOVs, the advantage of traveling in them decreases. I have noticed in our area that there is often little advantage to the HOV lanes, at least on I-66, and they can be difficult to get to (crossing several lanes to get to and from them.) Add the fact that it's a benefit that could get "whacked" at any point... and... I think Florida_Boy is getting reassured that a 2004 might not be a mistakenly early purchase after all.
Yes - it was the Washington State DOT website - sorry for the confusion. :confused: It was one of the first that popped up when I did a Google search for HOV and Hybrid.

I have made the same observation about the HOV lane when travling I-25 through Denver at certain times. The flow is actually better in the NON-HOV lane. Go figure!!

YMMV

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kemosabe... I would think you would be preparing to paint your model with the sandstone touch-up kit to more accurately reflect the mini-me concept... and I hope that's not the particular model of blow-up doll you have!

I only know about Northern Virginia, it is for sure that they allow hybrids in the HOV lanes. At one of the few times the HOV lane was flowing significantly better than the other lanes (including the one I was sitting in next to the HOV lane), a solo driver in a hybrid Civic cruised by with the license plate, "ILUVHOV".

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Bigrob: Sometimes it cracks me up driving on I-270 (in MD, of course) and there's this person in the HOV lane (legally, with the requisite 2 people) and they're doing 55mph while the rest of the non-HOV lanes are cruising at 65mph, passing that driver -- I guess they figure that the qualify for the HOV lane, so by golly, they're going to drive in it despite holding up traffic behind them and causing a few choice words from the other HOV'ers behind them..... :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pilot Vs. Saturn VUE

Everyone seems to like to compare the pilot and the MDX, now it is time to look at the Pilot and the Saturn VUE.

Now the VUE does have the same :eek: 3.5 V6 SOHC Honda motor :eek: that is in the pilot, also the same 5 speed transmission. The Saturn version seems to list there peak hp at 5800rpm and with 250hp, while the pilot lists theres at 240 at 5400rpm. I took the time to price one out and found that with

Standard Vehicle Pricing $23,610

Power sunroof $725
Floor mats - carpeted $80
Head Curtain Side Air Bags (2) $395
Leather Package $695
(Includes leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, leather seating surfaces)
Comfort Package $595
(Includes six-way power driver's seat with adjustable lumbar support and heated front seats. Requires Power Package.)
AM/FM CD stereo and MP3 player and six speakers $150
Advanced Audio System $295
Total Vehicle Plus Options $26,545
Transportation Charge $575

Total Vehicle M.S.R.P. (factory) $27,120

Now look at what it has that the Honda doesn't, SUNROOF:4: , Mp3 CD player, Head Curtain side air bags.

Also it is known that The Honda pilot will have better resale, possibly service since its not a GM product. Still this could be the alternative to those who don't need the extra size of the pilot.

Not planning on replacing the pilot with one of these, but what does everyone else think about the VUE?
Saturn VUE homepage

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Pilot Vs. Saturn VUE

mcd said:
Now the VUE does have the same :eek: 3.5 V6 SOHC Honda motor :eek: that is in the pilot, also the same 5 speed transmission.
My understanding is the VUE engine is being designed ande produced by Honda to GM specs and was not the same as teh Homda V6 engine.
But I could be wrong!:2: :2: :2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts