Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

My wife and I bought a 2019 odyssey elite last March with 40k miles on the clock. Car has been great, however given that we are in Ohio, winter is here and thus we are running the heater. The past month or so I have noticed that when we crank the heat up to 80 or 90, then turn it back down to 70-75, the heat output remains exactly the same as if it were still at 80-90. It only drops down in temp until a few minutes later. Even if i drop it to 65 it still takes a minute or two to cool down. So not sure if the blend door isnt functioning properly or if there is some quirk with the controls that Im missing. Has anyone else ever had this issue?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Hey Everyone,

My wife and I bought a 2019 odyssey elite last March with 40k miles on the clock. Car has been great, however given that we are in Ohio, winter is here and thus we are running the heater. The past month or so I have noticed that when we crank the heat up to 80 or 90, then turn it back down to 70-75, the heat output remains exactly the same as if it were still at 80-90. It only drops down in temp until a few minutes later. Even if i drop it to 65 it still takes a minute or two to cool down. So not sure if the blend door isnt functioning properly or if there is some quirk with the controls that Im missing. Has anyone else ever had this issue?
If you're on Sync, do the rear vents keep blowing hot air when you turn down the heat setting? If not it's probably the front mix motor or something blocking the door. Have you changed the cabin air filter and checked for debris in the area?

When you put it on 65, what is the temperature of the air at the vents?

This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but why are you "cranking the heat up to 80 or 90" and "turn it back down to 70-75" ... I have an almost daily thermostat war here where the person turning it up to 80-90 thinks it will heat the house faster than if the thermostat is just set to the desired temperature. Once the setting is more than a few degrees above the actual temperature, the auxiliary heat kicks on and nothing will make it heat any faster.

As long as the blending/mixing door is working (albeit not as fast as you'd like) maybe setting the temp to less of a radical range might help as the door will hopefully move, however slowly, to the right positions as the actual cabin temp and setting you've made get closer together.

One thing you can try is taking the fan off auto and turning it way down when you turn the heat down so you aren't blasted with hot air until the blend door closes off the heat. Once cool air shows up at the vents, either run the fan up or put it back on auto.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim,

In regards to setting the temp, for a house you are correct, turning it up and down is worse than setting and forgetting as you are fighting against the walls, floor, furniture etc., as heat sinks. However when you have two kids in the car and its 10 degree out, its just natural to crank it up.

Ill check the rear and see if its doing the same. Given that its a 3 zone system, just trying to make sure its not some setting causing it. I personally never use the Auto feature. Drives me nuts when it kicks on and off, to each their own though. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Thanks Jim,

In regards to setting the temp, for a house you are correct, turning it up and down is worse than setting and forgetting as you are fighting against the walls, floor, furniture etc., as heat sinks. However when you have two kids in the car and its 10 degree out, its just natural to crank it up.

Ill check the rear and see if its doing the same. Given that its a 3 zone system, just trying to make sure its not some setting causing it. I personally never use the Auto feature. Drives me nuts when it kicks on and off, to each their own though. Thanks!
If it's 10 degrees out, I'm assuming you know to set the recirculation on. Conversely, when you want it cooler faster, let the fresh air in by turning recirculation off.

The same person that turns the house thermostat up also turns the heat setting way up in the car when starting out in the morning under the impression the heat will come on sooner at a higher setting. When I asked if this person thought setting the heat setting to max would make the cold engine warm up faster, the answer was ... "It might. What's your point?"

·
Registered
92 Posts
Maybe it takes a few minutes for the heater core to cool down to the desired temperature? If you're dropping from 80 down to 70 it will take a moment or two. I've found that the remote start and a few minutes of patience brings the Pilot up to the desired 72 degrees in winter.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If it's 10 degrees out, I'm assuming you know to set the recirculation on. Conversely, when you want it cooler faster, let the fresh air in by turning recirculation off.

The same person that turns the house thermostat up also turns the heat setting way up in the car when starting out in the morning under the impression the heat will come on sooner at a higher setting. When I asked if this person thought setting the heat setting to max would make the cold engine warm up faster, the answer was ... "It might. What's your point?"
Don't use recirc with heat unless you like fogged windows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe it takes a few minutes for the heater core to cool down to the desired temperature? If you're dropping from 80 down to 70 it will take a moment or two. I've found that the remote start and a few minutes of patience brings the Pilot up to the desired 72 degrees in winter.
Not really how a heater works. Heater core is the same temp as the coolant flowing through the block. Blend door mixes the cold air coming in from the outside with hot air passing through the heater core to achieve desired temp. You want hotter air at the vents, blend door closes more to prevent cold air from mixing and vice versa. Core itself and the air passing through it remain the same temp.

Ya, recirc has nothing to do with that. Running recirc when its 10 degrees out just fogs everything as the recirculated warm air becomes more and more condensed as it hits cold glass.

Never had that problem as long as I didn't turn off the AC compressor.
Sooo, its 10 degrees out and your setting your heater at 72 degrees on recirc with the ac compressor on?? Makes sense...

Going back to my original quesiton, its either blend door or im just missing something given that its a zone system. Just curious if anyone has had a blend door problem with the 16 and newer models or if its setting issue....

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Not really how a heater works. Heater core is the same temp as the coolant flowing through the block. Blend door mixes the cold air coming in from the outside with hot air passing through the heater core to achieve desired temp. You want hotter air at the vents, blend door closes more to prevent cold air from mixing and vice versa. Core itself and the air passing through it remain the same temp.

Ya, recirc has nothing to do with that. Running recirc when its 10 degrees out just fogs everything as the recirculated warm air becomes more and more condensed as it hits cold glass.
If the climate control is working properly, the recirculated air is dried and heated so the relative humidity is too low to cause condensation on the cold windows. The condensation takes place in the evaporator core. Of course, I can only speculate what happens when it's 10 degree out since I can't even pronounce that temperature let alone go out in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts