Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, sorry if this has been asked before. I'm on vacation & don't have much internet access.
Our 04 Pilot recently had the HVAC fan stop working and no ac. i think possibly the fan does blow internally, but it doesn't seem to come out into the vehicle.

My quick search made it look like the blower motor transistor is a common cause. https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/honda/1.7L/blower-motor-resistor-test-1

If anyone can give me a quick rundown I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,934 Posts
Resistor or transistor module (depending on trim level) are common blower failure points. The Pilot has both a front and rear blower. Do you hear one of the running? Front is behind glovebox and rear is under center console. Do you get AC and/or heat from either of those if one is running?
If the issue is the rear and you can hear the motor spinning then have you cleaned the lint screen?
If you can hear the front blower spinning but no airflow then has the cabin air filter been changed recently?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I don't believe my rear has ever worked. I have not changed the cabin air filter since I have owned the car around 136k (160k now).
As of a few days ago, I don't get AC from either.
Where is the lint screen for the rear?

·
Administrator
15,510 Posts
It's in the center console, drivers side, the lower panel removes easily

·
Administrator
15,510 Posts
It's in the center console, drivers side, the lower panel removes easily

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
If you’re in the driver seat remove the center console panel you kick with your right foot. Look for a lint covered circle after removing the panel.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
And if the rear blower doesn’t spin chances are its resistor or transistor module overheated and died due to lack of airflow across its heatfins, caused by the clogged lint screen.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
If you set it to fan only or even heater with the highest manually set fan setting, does any air come out? If not, next step is to check fuses/ relays.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you set it to fan only or even heater with the highest manually set fan setting, does any air come out? If not, next step is to check fuses/ relays.
I finally had a chance to go out and check it out more. When I turn the fan on manually, it will turn all the way to high. But it doesn't seem come out of any vents. I swapped the AC relay for another relay of the same part number. It doesn't seem like my ac comes on, nor that anything actually blows out of the vents.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally had a chance to go out and check it out more. When I turn the fan on manually, it will turn all the way to high. But it doesn't seem come out of any vents. I swapped the AC relay for another relay of the same part number. It doesn't seem like my ac comes on, nor that anything actually blows out of the vents.
All of my fuses & relays are okay. I have the transistor coming in the mail on Monday and a new cabin air filter. We'll see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All of my fuses & relays are okay. I have the transistor coming in the mail on Monday and a new cabin air filter. We'll see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
For the fuses did you visually check them or perform a continuity check with a meter? Sometimes the eyeball test provides incorrect results.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For the fuses did you visually check them or perform a continuity check with a meter? Sometimes the eyeball test provides incorrect results.
Both. They all checked out. The only thing I can think of is the transistor which should be coming on Monday. I'll post my results. Thanks everyone for the help... This is why I always bring a full tool set when I take the family on a long road trip :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts