Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I hate troubleshooting noises as probably most of us do. I have searched and can't find anything.

I have a 2015 2wd EX-L I purchased brand new. It currently has 117k miles. For the past few months, I have noticed a roaring/humming sound coming from the front. It is somewhat similar to that of the roar when your riding a commercial airline, just not as load lol. It is consistent with the speed of the vehicle, not the RPMs of the engine. It becomes noticable at about 35-40 MPH, and is consistent above. I had the tires rotated...no change. Changed trans fluid...no change. You can throw it into neutral at 70 MPH...it continues. I wondered if one of the electric fans wasn't working and the incoming wind was blowing it, but they are both working. Turning didn't seem to make a difference, like a bad wheel bearing. Plus, I haven't noticed any excessive heat from either front wheel.

I'm sure I may be leaving something out I've tried, but please ask anything you can think of. Just hoping someone here has experienced this.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Tires with cupping or belt separation can make that noise but it's probably your wheel bearings. Jack up the front end & check for play. Bearings can be fickle bastards in that sometimes they make noise with no play, or have play but no noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thank y'all! I just jacked it up and checked for play left/right, up/down and didn't notice any. It still makes the noise with it in the air. I ran it up to about 55 and could hear it. I will say I do think I notice a slight vibration also. I would describe it as a high frequency vibration. As far as tires, they are fairly new BF Goodrich all the way around. I rotate every 5k, and it made no difference last rotation... The noise stayed at the front. I'm probably going to run it to my local mechanic and have him listen to it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah it sounds like a wheel bearing. I had rear break work done on mine at the dealer and when I left, it sounded like I had a traditional rear diff that had no fluid in it...lol. The service advisor didn't believe me so I took him for a drive and showed him...He couldn't believe it. But my issue only occurred while breaking at high speeds. I agree with the others on this forum that it sounds like a wheel bearing issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts