Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

i just hit 200,000 miles on my Pilot. Recently have done driver side CV shaft, pads all the way around, with 2 new rotors in the front. I also did the strutA on both sides. This car has been very reliable. These are the first repairs I’ve had to do aside from normal matience items.

Anyway, I have a little bit of a humming noise that’s a lot more noticeable when I hit at least 70mph. Also, it’s louder when going 70, if I turn even the slightest to the left. I assumed wheel bearings, but I can’t seem to find any movement in my front tires. everything else looks good. Boots are all good. Nothing leaking.
Any ideas? Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’ll throw in, Ive never done a timing belt on this bad boy. Considering I have just about doubled my mileage since I should of done it, anyone think it’s time for a timing belt? :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Does the noise track with engine rpm, or wheel rotation (mph)? With wheel speed, perhaps a tire issue, or elsewhere in the drivetrain. With engine rpm, maybe your timing belt is giving you a clue. In any case, do the timing belt asap, and worry about the humming noise later. You've used up all your luck already.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sure it’s the wheel speed. I had intentions of doing timing belt. I completely forgot. It’s my wife’s car. I need to get on that. Probably a bit too much for me to handle though.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Pretty sure it’s the wheel speed. I had intentions of doing timing belt. I completely forgot. It’s my wife’s car. I need to get on that. Probably a bit too much for me to handle though.
Lots of how to videos on YouTube. If your handy with tools, then you can do it. The savings will afford you any tools your missing.
I recommend the Aisin kit (TKH002) from Rockauto. There is a 5% discount code available.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lots of how to videos on YouTube. If your handy with tools, then you can do it. The savings will afford you any tools your missing.
I recommend the Aisin kit (TKH002) from Rockauto. There is a 5% discount code available.
I am pretty handy with tools. I did all the other work myself. However, timing belt just seems like a much bigger job. Not fully sure I have the confidence to do that. I may try though. So much cheaper.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I am pretty handy with tools. I did all the other work myself. However, timing belt just seems like a much bigger job. Not fully sure I have the confidence to do that. I may try though. So much cheaper.
I watched YouTube videos by well known mechanics for hours till I had the steps burned into my brain. The main problem is getting that crankshaft pulley bolt broke loose. If you don't have a large compressor and impact to use the Leslie Socket . Then your going to need about 3 feet of good quality 1/2 drive extentions (impact grade works), a breaker bar, a 6 point 19mm socket, a 2 ton jack stand and a 3 to 4ft long cheater pipe to slide over your breaker bar to give yourself some more leverage. You will also need the Honda crank pully removal tool (along with a 1/2 drive rachet or another breaker bar to hold) . Some auto parts stores let you check this tool out for a refundable deposit. Lots of videos for removing the Honda crankshaft pulley bolt using tbis method. Another tool you will need is a torque wrench to torque bolts to the proper specs.
It's also a great time to flush your cooling system out and replace antifreeze/coolant.
Yes huge savings and add to your tool collection . 🙄

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wouldn't use the impact socket. That's too harsh on the crank, I'd be worries about what it does to the bearings or connecting rod bearings.

I bought the pulley holder tool but couldn't get enough leverage to break the nut free. On jackstands there just isn't enough room for any leverage even with a cheater pipe.
I ended up taking my car to a old Honda mechanic (owner operated shop, not a franchise). The guy raised my car on the lift and used his Honda crank pulley holding tool and a 6 foot breaker bar to loosen the crank bolt. Then snugged it back up and I drove home where I was able to get it off with my short breaker bar to do the job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts