Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are looking at getting a Pilot for our family vehicle (two kids, 5 and 3) and I'm wondering about insurance. We have a 2000 Mazda MPV right now and insurance isn't too bad...about $650 per year with AAA.

What was your last vehicle, and did your premiums go up or down with the Pilot?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Best to call you agent

There are too many variable to tell.
Mine comprehensive and medical down, and collision went up.
The wonders of new safety and anti-theft features.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I currently own a 2001 Infiniti. When I called my insurance company to get a quote for the Pilot I was informed for the same coverage it would be $40 less per year. I was shocked...my agent advised the Pilot was considered a "safer" car. Yay!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree, there are lots of variables, and whether the insurance goes up or down depends upon what you've been driving and the deductible you carry on collision.

Honda's Pilot will benefit from several factors: demographic of drivers; safety/crash ratings; safety features; anti-theft features; lower cost-to-repair ratio than many other vehicles in that price range.

In other words, even though the vehicle itself might be more costly, and therefore more costly for the insurance company to replace if it's totalled, the insurance could still be lower on it because the cost to insure has several different components. (Acturarial Tables for things like crash per 1K vehicle mile; Injury per 1K vehicle mile; repair costs per accident; etc. etc. etc.)

Of course, your agent will also ask how it will be used, how many miles it will be driven, and so forth. Because it's a safe vehicle and appeals to a "mature, safe" driving demographic, you may find it surprisingly affordable to insure.

·
Registered
180 Posts
And in re-reading your post, I noticed that for you it's replacing a Mazda MPV, which shares many characteristics in terms of type of driver, accident incidence, etc. There may be a couple of safety features on the Pilot that could help, but in your case, the insurance cost is likely to go up due to the higher value of the vehicle.

Insurance cost is also extremely sensitive to where the vehicle is driven and by whom. I don't see how a teenage boy could ever insure anything in NYC or Boston.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
I replaced a '99 Buick Park Avenue which is one of the lower cost to insure vehicles. The Pilot was less than $20 more/month for the same coverage. Seemed like a decent deal, considering the switch from a "family sedan" to a SUV.

YMMV

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
I went from a 98 Dodge stratus to a 03 Pilot (EXL-RES) and the insurance increased $19/month for the same coverage. I thing the difference is reasonable.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't have the numbers right in front of me, but the cost of going from a V-6 Accord to the Pilot was negligble.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We replaced a '96 Ford Explorer and the increase was very small. I was told that the Pilot was a much safer vehicle. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
T-Rex said:
My wife and I are looking at getting a Pilot for our family vehicle (two kids, 5 and 3) and I'm wondering about insurance. We have a 2000 Mazda MPV right now and insurance isn't too bad...about $650 per year with AAA.

Thanks!
Went from a Subie Forester (loved it, had two, but out-grew them) to a Pilot EXL( love it more, much more). $10 difference in insurance. Erie Insurance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I went from a '98 Accord V-6 to the Pilot and they billed me an additional $59.00 for the last almost 2.5 months of the year, so for me(or i should say my work) it's going up about $250.00/year -
then again I live in New Jersey the HIGH Insurance rate Capital
:1zhelp: :16:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Went from a 95 T-Bird with a V8 ($1400 yr) to my Pilot ($1600 yr)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it won't be too much difference...that's good news.

As for the other variables- we're both 30, have clean driving records, will put about 14K miles a year on it and we live in a mid-size city. Portland metro has about 2 million residents. We carry $500 deductables for comp/collision.

Wow, if we decide to trade the MPV, we're really going to take a hit though! We paid nearly $22K three years ago and the dealers are only offering $10.5K in trade! :eek: Now I wish we went with the Odyssey back then. Problem was...dealers around here were charging 3-4K premiums more than MSRP and we refused to pay that! But now, Odysseys are still really retaining their value, while the value of MPVs tanked :(

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
T-Rex said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

Wow, if we decide to trade the MPV, we're really going to take a hit though! We paid nearly $22K three years ago and the dealers are only offering $10.5K in trade! :eek:

[ S N I P P E D ]

Yeah, the dealer will not offer you enough for your trade-in -- that's why if you have the time and desire, you can get more money if you sell it yourself ("For Sale" sign, classified ad, word-of-mouth).

If you take a look at Kelley Blue Book's web site, www.kbb.com, you'll see that there are two values:
  1. Trade-In Value
  2. Private Party Value
and the trade-in value is always less than what you would get if you sold it on your own. The dealer trade-in offers the convenience of not having to go through the selling process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You must think I'm a total newbie :D Oh, yeah, it's only my third post :2:

I've covered all of those bases and it's for sale, advertised in my local paper. I've already checked values on kbb, Nadaguides and edmunds.com TMV...thanks though ;)

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
T-Rex said:
You must think I'm a total newbie :D Oh, yeah, it's only my third post :2:

I've covered all of those bases and it's for sale, advertised in my local paper. I've already checked values on kbb, Nadaguides and edmunds.com TMV...thanks though ;)
Nah... it's just hard to determine (from afar and behind a computer) what some people already know and what don't -- I've run across a few folks who didn't know about sites like kbb and edmunds and stuff like that. Soooooo, my last post was in no way intended to insult your intelligence!! Just trying to cover the basics.... :4:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No problem...

I think it's safe to assume that anyone who's found a board like this one has does their homework.:4:

·
Registered
62 Posts
T-Rex said:

Thanks!
T-Rex,
My insurance premium actually went down!:D I went from a '99 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS to the Pilot, and I am one of the happiest people on earth right now due to my decision to ditch it. Depreciation is horrible :eek: on that vehicle! When I lived in MD, I used Erie Insurance and stayed with them since moving to PA a few years ago. Also, I went from large city to small town, so I do not look forward to paying HIGH city rates again -- but you never know!! Anyways, good luck on your search for the best premium.

Happy Piloting!:2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts