Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Glue-fix maybe as a temporary visual-impact-only 'solution'. The next time you put a carton eggs there, an RTV glue-up will likely fail. Do It Like You Mean It.

Tangent-- I added some grommets to cheap Harbor Freight moving pads. The smaller ones are just the right width to be correct front-to-back over the third row. Mine lives there full time, under the plastic Honda cargo tray. I added some support cords that hook over the plastic loops in the back on either side, and same up to the shoulder-belt loops for the second row outer. That rear pad protects the side panels up about a foot. The one for the middle seat just drapes over the seats, but has enough to pull up over the rear of the center console to protect it all from cargo. That one rolls and stuffs behind the second-row seats when not in use. Maybe $10-15 for both depending on their sales promotions at the time.
I had a feeling you wouldn't go for the glue down hack. I'm not that fond of it either. Note to self: Hacker! hacker!

I'll look into the moving pads at HF. Doesn't WeatherTech have a solution for this although I'm sure it costs more than what it protects ...?

I used to keep a moving blanket in the minivan, but I kept finding it in the garage without naming any names.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Tangent-- I added some grommets to cheap Harbor Freight moving pads. The smaller ones are just the right width to be correct front-to-back over the third row. Mine lives there full time, under the plastic Honda cargo tray. I added some support cords that hook over the plastic loops in the back on either side, and same up to the shoulder-belt loops for the second row outer. That rear pad protects the side panels up about a foot. The one for the middle seat just drapes over the seats, but has enough to pull up over the rear of the center console to protect it all from cargo. That one rolls and stuffs behind the second-row seats when not in use. Maybe $10-15 for both depending on their sales promotions at the time.
That deserves a pic.

I know I won't get any sympathy from northerners,
None whatsoever. And it's still balmy here.

Montreal, Canada 10-Day Weather Forecast | Weather Underground

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Maybe. Might have to wait until tomorrow to look at it. I know I won't get any sympathy from northerners, but right now it's too cold to go mess with it. Feels like it could snow any minute. Brrrrr. I'd suck it up buttercup but my big boy pants are at the drycleaners.

View attachment 143957
Time to break out the LL Bean Maine Mountain Parka.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Maybe. Might have to wait until tomorrow to look at it. I know I won't get any sympathy from northerners, but right now it's too cold to go mess with it. Feels like it could snow any minute. Brrrrr. I'd suck it up buttercup but my big boy pants are at the drycleaners.

View attachment 143957
We hit 33°F again, 2 nights in a row. Can't even mow the grass.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Our grass quit growing two months ago ... but the weeds are growing gangbusters!
Grass, weeds, same same in the semi arid climate. 😑 Anyway, I gave up on the Saint Augustine when we hit 105°F + several days in a row, a few years back. You couldn't pump enough water onto the lawn.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I needed to disassemble the seats when I installed seat heaters. Once a couple plastic trim bits are removed, that back is actually quite easy to pop off. You might wanna invest into a clip removal tool though.

The clips go into that board via keyhole-shaped slots. You could buy a slotted steel strap in Home Depot cut it so a slot is open on one end, and epoxy that strap in to reinforce the composite board.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I needed to disassemble the seats when I installed seat heaters. Once a couple plastic trim bits are removed, that back is actually quite easy to pop off. You might wanna invest into a clip removal tool though.

The clips go into that board via keyhole-shaped slots. You could buy a slotted steel strap in Home Depot cut it so a slot is open on one end, and epoxy that strap in to reinforce the composite board.
Thanks so much ... that's encouraging. I have that tool. Good to know that's what I need to remove the clips. Are all the keyholes in the same direction? i.e., can you push the back off the clips by moving it in one direction? (wishful thinking, I know)

I think I have some steel slotted straps left over from the garage door opener installation. Great idea!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Good ideas. Not sure what glue sticks to a plastic sheet other than maybe contact cement. (like used to glue formica counter tops). But not sure how well it holds up to a hot closed car in Florida summer heat.

I doubt I'll ever remove that seat back in the future, so I'm thinking of just using silicone adhesive to permanently glue the corner down using a heavy weight to hold it down while it cures. Push come to shove I guess it could be removed with a sharp putty knife. Another idea I had was to put a sheet of plastic wrap down to protect the seat back, and then saturate the cardboard with epoxy and hold it down on the plastic wrap with weights as a mold. My concern is that the epoxy might migrate up through the cardboard and the carpeting and make a hard spot on the carpeting. I guess I could use 5-minute epoxy.

Eeeek, I'm starting to sound like a hack!!

Nevermind ......!
This is the solution I was actually going to suggest, given how relatively small the tear is and it's location in the back of the vehicle. Contact cement will probably have a stronger bond than silicone adhesive. You might also want to look up your specific vehicle on some Honda part's web site to get an idea of what the composite board backing looks like and how it is attached to your rear seat. Here is an example of what I'm talking about from hondapartsnow.com: rear seat. It may actually be possible to reorder a replacement if the color matches, cost isn't sky high, and its something within your realm of possibilities. I've been known to visit my local Honda dealer to ask about odd ball parts like this simply to get them to verify part number, availabilty, color, fit, ... whatever, when I'm unsure. And then feign surprise when they quote a price, and say sorry, but thanks (without letting on that I was only looking for the info they verified). :devilish:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This is the solution I was actually going to suggest, given how relatively small the tear is and it's location in the back of the vehicle. Contact cement will probably have a stronger bond than silicone adhesive. You might also want to look up your specific vehicle on some Honda part's web site to get an idea of what the composite board backing looks like and how it is attached to your rear seat. Here is an example of what I'm talking about from hondapartsnow.com: rear seat. It may actually be possible to reorder a replacement if the color matches, cost isn't sky high, and its something within your realm of possibilities. I've been known to visit my local Honda dealer to ask about odd ball parts like this simply to get them to verify part number, availabilty, color, fit, ... whatever, when I'm unsure. And then feign surprise when they quote a price, and say sorry, but thanks (without letting on that I was only looking for the info they verified). :devilish:
Thanks for the ideas. So you're the guy that put the parts counter man in such a bad mood by the time I got there to actually buy something. :rolleyes:

I did find a parts blow up ... looks like about a dozen plastic ribbed clips hold that panel on. I have the tool. The trick will be to pry them loose without destroying the cheap particle board they're keylocked into. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks so much ... that's encouraging. I have that tool. Good to know that's what I need to remove the clips. Are all the keyholes in the same direction? i.e., can you push the back off the clips by moving it in one direction? (wishful thinking, I know)

I think I have some steel slotted straps left over from the garage door opener installation. Great idea!
Pretty sure those slots were in different directions. But I think once I popped out the two top clips, I was able to slide the thing off.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Brrrr. My blood doesn't move fast enough anymore to keep me thawed out in those kinds of temps.
Flip side is as soon as it gets over 25°C, I'm out. What is that... hold on,
°Fahrenheit = 9/5 * °Celsius + 32, OK about 77°F. Fire up the A/C; I'm wilting.

That said, a lot of Canadians inexplicably like the heat, hence why snowbirds are a major contributor to the Florida economy
, perhaps just behind Disney and cocaine. You'd have to check, I’m not entirely sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I couldn't attach a photo, but honda makes rigid seat back protectors, such as 08p42-tg7-100c

Might be a nice cover up and hold that in place

21 - 40 of 62 Posts