Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting a large heavy box curbside loaded in the back of the Pilot and as they pushed it forward it grabbed the corner of the back of the laid down second row seat. It ripped the corner out of the plastic clip and shattered the composite board backing the carpet is attached to into several pieces in addition to breaking it and folding it back. I would like to fix it without taking the whole thing apart and turning it into a major project. But I don't know how to glue the broken pieces back together an get the clip back through the slot since the backing is very thin, cheap and fragile. It reminds me of really cheap composite board ... one baby step up from cardboard.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Umm, Have the box loaders pay for it to get fixed? It's their fault. Otherwise consider an upholstery shop.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,350 Posts
I was getting a large heavy box curbside loaded in the back of the Pilot and as they pushed it forward it grabbed the corner of the back of the laid down second row seat. It ripped the corner out of the plastic clip and shattered the composite board backing the carpet is attached to into several pieces in addition to breaking it and folding it back. I would like to fix it without taking the whole thing apart and turning it into a major project. But I don't know how to glue the broken pieces back together an get the clip back through the slot since the backing is very thin, cheap and fragile. It reminds me of really cheap composite board ... one baby step up from cardboard.

View attachment 143941
The white clip won't go back into the grey matting?

·
Registered
10,196 Posts
Not a fix, but what I use to prevent such damage is the vinyl carpet protector/utility runner material available at home improvement stores.
It comes in a 27" width and is cut to length.
I bought two 6' long sections and overlap them slightly.
They have little nubs/spikes on the reverse side to keep them from sliding.
Carpet Protector | tenex-retail

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,860 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The white clip won't go back into the grey matting?
The grey matting (carpet) is somehow bonded to the "cardboard" backing with a vapor shield inbetween. Or it could be a double sided adhesive sheet. The plastic clips snap into a slot in the "cardboard" or whatever it is. The backing board in which the slot used to exist is busted into multiple pieces, evidently that happened when the clip was ripped out of it.

I'm not far along enough into it to know much about what goesintowhat. I think my next move will be to try to release the other clips from the seat back and free up the whole cardboard piece with carpet attached and piece the cardboard back together and reinforce it with something thin and strong. My concern is breaking up the backing board even more prying up on the remaining clips. I have some plastic panel removal tools that will hopefully be gentle enough.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a fix, but what I use to prevent such damage is the vinyl carpet protector/utility runner material available at home improvement stores.
It comes in a 27" width and is cut to length.
I bought two 6' long sections and overlap them slightly.
They have little nubs/spikes on the reverse side to keep them from sliding.
Carpet Protector | tenex-retail
Thanks, believe it or not I had the Honda Plastic carpet mat/protector there but it only goes to the hinge point of the second row (so the seat backs can be brought upright), which is right where the box grabbed the corner of the seat back covering.

I should have loaded it myself or had it delivered, but shoulda coulda woulda won't help now.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Use plastic pry tools to get the corner or most of the carpet backing board pieces raised up enough to glue a plastic sheet. Once the glue dries this should stabilize the area for the next step of securing the plastic sheet to the seat back. Next time use some moving blankets or tarp that will go beyond the plastic cargo liner.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Go to pick-your-part with tools, and find your replacement seat. Unless you need a project for its own sake (and I do that sometimes...) the most expeditious and maybe economical solution is another seat.

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
pipipllllppiplplpii ... I would have expected no less a useful solution from you. Thanks, I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it first ... or yet.
Hope you got that it was the first step of dealing with the loaders if they didn't want to pay. Next steps are up to you.

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
Go to pick-your-part with tools, and find your replacement seat. Unless you need a project for its own sake (and I do that sometimes...) the most expeditious and maybe economical solution is another seat.
Come to think of it, this is more reasonable. :)

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, another project is just what I need after I finish the17 in the queue. I may get another seat but I'm seeing visions dance in my head of a tube of black (or gray) silicone seal, some masking tape and a 40 pound block of water softener salt as a weight.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Use plastic pry tools to get the corner or most of the carpet backing board pieces raised up enough to glue a plastic sheet. Once the glue dries this should stabilize the area for the next step of securing the plastic sheet to the seat back. Next time use some moving blankets or tarp that will go beyond the plastic cargo liner.
Good ideas. Not sure what glue sticks to a plastic sheet other than maybe contact cement. (like used to glue formica counter tops). But not sure how well it holds up to a hot closed car in Florida summer heat.

I doubt I'll ever remove that seat back in the future, so I'm thinking of just using silicone adhesive to permanently glue the corner down using a heavy weight to hold it down while it cures. Push come to shove I guess it could be removed with a sharp putty knife. Another idea I had was to put a sheet of plastic wrap down to protect the seat back, and then saturate the cardboard with epoxy and hold it down on the plastic wrap with weights as a mold. My concern is that the epoxy might migrate up through the cardboard and the carpeting and make a hard spot on the carpeting. I guess I could use 5-minute epoxy.

Eeeek, I'm starting to sound like a hack!!

Nevermind ......!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Glue-fix maybe as a temporary visual-impact-only 'solution'. The next time you put a carton eggs there, an RTV glue-up will likely fail. Do It Like You Mean It.

Tangent-- I added some grommets to cheap Harbor Freight moving pads. The smaller ones are just the right width to be correct front-to-back over the third row. Mine lives there full time, under the plastic Honda cargo tray. I added some support cords that hook over the plastic loops in the back on either side, and same up to the shoulder-belt loops for the second row outer. That rear pad protects the side panels up about a foot. The one for the middle seat just drapes over the seats, but has enough to pull up over the rear of the center console to protect it all from cargo. That one rolls and stuffs behind the second-row seats when not in use. Maybe $10-15 for both depending on their sales promotions at the time.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Good ideas. Not sure what glue sticks to a plastic sheet other than maybe contact cement. (like used to glue formica counter tops). But not sure how well it holds up to a hot closed car in Florida summer heat.

I doubt I'll ever remove that seat back in the future, so I'm thinking of just using silicone adhesive to permanently glue the corner down using a heavy weight to hold it down while it cures. Push come to shove I guess it could be removed with a sharp putty knife. Another idea I had was to put a sheet of plastic wrap down to protect the seat back, and then saturate the cardboard with epoxy and hold it down on the plastic wrap with weights as a mold. My concern is that the epoxy might migrate up through the cardboard and the carpeting and make a hard spot on the carpeting. I guess I could use 5-minute epoxy.
Forgot to consider the hot environment in sunny Florida. Since there won't be a reason to lift the carpet again silicone adhesive sounds like a good idea since it works well holding windshields and aquariums.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are going to have to disassemble it first before you can repair it.
Maybe. Might have to wait until tomorrow to look at it. I know I won't get any sympathy from northerners, but right now it's too cold to go mess with it. Feels like it could snow any minute. Brrrrr. I'd suck it up buttercup but my big boy pants are at the drycleaners.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts