Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP. I've begun following the instructions on replacing the automatic transmission fluid, however I'm stuck as I cannot figure out how I'm supposed to remove the filler bolt.

As you can see in the attached photo, above the ATF filler bolt there are many hoses and even a fuse box which prevent sufficient access to get a socket wrench and extension and then generate enough torque to remove the bolt.

Do I need to remove any of these hoses or is there a special tool I should use?

Please share the methods you used to remove this filler bolt.

2016 Honda Pilot EX-L, 6-speed automatic transmission.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
HELP. I've begun following the instructions on replacing the automatic transmission fluid, however I'm stuck as I cannot figure out how I'm supposed to remove the filler bolt.

As you can see in the attached photo, above the ATF filler bolt there are many hoses and even a fuse box which prevent sufficient access to get a socket wrench and extension and then generate enough torque to remove the bolt.

Do I need to remove any of these hoses or is there a special tool I should use?

Please share the methods you used to remove this filler bolt.

2016 Honda Pilot EX-L, 6-speed automatic transmission.

Don’t bother removing fill plug - drain it and refill through the dipstick tube. I’ve done it twice on my wife’s 16 EXL with no issues at all. Just grab a long neck funnel and you’re good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also filled through the tranny dipstick tube with help of a "funny pipe" and tranny fluid spout from Hopkins. Worked really well, no spills. I was only topping it off after installing tranny cooler but will use the same method when I need to replace the fluid. 20180831_144653.jpeg 20180831_144836.jpeg 20180831_145348.jpeg 20180831_145350.jpeg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys... Anyone else out there have a good reason why we should add transmission fluid through the ATF filler hole rather than the dipstick opening?

Sorry for being a pain but I'm really concerned about not following the service manual. Many years ago on another vehicle I may have ruined an A/C compressor by not servicing it correctly and it cost me $1500 to replace. Would hate to do anything to ruin the transmission which would cost a lot more.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I’ve had no issues using a socket and enough extensions to get the 1/2” breaker bar above the engine bay and break the bolt loose.

That being said, filling through the dipstick tube has been done by many people with no issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks guys... Anyone else out there have a good reason why we should add transmission fluid through the ATF filler hole rather than the dipstick opening?

Sorry for being a pain but I'm really concerned about not following the service manual. Many years ago on another vehicle I may have ruined an A/C compressor by not servicing it correctly and it cost me $1500 to replace. Would hate to do anything to ruin the transmission which would cost a lot more.

I’ve had the same concern and gave it a try. Worked twice for me with no issues. Planning on another D&F on the next OCI

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don’t bother removing fill plug - drain it and refill through the dipstick tube. I’ve done it twice on my wife’s 16 EXL with no issues at all. Just grab a long neck funnel and you’re good to go
I went to the dealer today to buy the transmission fluid and they told me they always fill from the dip stick on Honda Pilots too. When I told them I need ATF they said I only need 1 crush washer since the filler bolt is not removed. So you were right!!

I got the job done. My only concern now is that I am a measuring little high on the ATF dip stick so I might have a little too much fluid. I drove around the block and checked it while running. Of note, according to the manual it is supposed to take 3.3 qts during a ATF change. I measured and drained about 3.8 qts so I put 3.8 qts back in as well. I will check in a week and may drain a little out if it is still too high.

·
Registered
160 Posts
How many miles do you all have that you are changing the ATF? I'd check in the manual but Honda, in all of their infinite wisdom, does not include a service/maintenance interval schedule.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went to the dealer today to buy the transmission fluid and they told me they always fill from the dip stick on Honda Pilots too. When I told them I need ATF they said I only need 1 crush washer since the filler bolt is not removed. So you were right!!

I got the job done. My only concern now is that I am a measuring little high on the ATF dip stick so I might have a little too much fluid. I drove around the block and checked it while running. Of note, according to the manual it is supposed to take 3.3 qts during a ATF change. I measured and drained about 3.8 qts so I put 3.8 qts back in as well. I will check in a week and may drain a little out if it is still too high.

Around the block is not enough Sir. You’d need to go highway speed for a torque converter to lock up. Get some good 20-30min drive on the highway and then check. I’ve done the same mistake and pulled some fluid out which turned out to completely unnecessary. Not sure how many miles on your pilot but mine was around 19K and first fluid drain was quite dark. Second consecutive D&F looked much better. If money are not tight i’s suggest another D&F, you can use same crush washer (that’s what i did). BTW, i drained fluid with the car leveled, you really don’t even need to jack it up, there’s plenty of room off of the ground

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How many miles do you all have that you are changing the ATF? I'd check in the manual but Honda, in all of their infinite wisdom, does not include a service/maintenance interval schedule.
I was at 52,000 miles and the ATF was very dark. I think I waited too long. If I could do it over again I would change at 35,000 miles. It is a much easier process than I expected, probably even easier than an oil change.

As you may know Honda replaced the "paper" recommended maintenance chart with the supposedly wise maintenance minder that is calculated by your computer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Around the block is not enough Sir. You’d need to go highway speed for a torque converter to lock up. Get some good 20-30min drive on the highway and then check. I’ve done the same mistake and pulled some fluid out which turned out to completely unnecessary. Not sure how many miles on your pilot but mine was around 19K and first fluid drain was quite dark. Second consecutive D&F looked much better. If money are not tight i’s suggest another D&F, you can use same crush washer (that’s what i did). BTW, i drained fluid with the car leveled, you really don’t even need to jack it up, there’s plenty of room off of the ground
Thanks for all your advise. I will check the level again next week.

Since this is my first ATF change and I am at 52K miles the fluid was very dark. I had planned on another ATF change after 1000 miles.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mezab can you provide a pic or location of the dip stick as last time i checked with the dealership they informed me the PILOT no longer have a dip stick but rather a vent hole covered by a cap

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mezab can you provide a pic or location of the dip stick as last time i checked with the dealership they informed me the PILOT no longer have a dip stick but rather a vent hole covered by a cap
The best video to show the location of the dipstick is here, click this youtube link: YouTube. Pay attention of the 4:25 point of the video.

This video is of an Acura MDX, which is made by Honda and has the exact same internals as the Honda Pilot.

·
Registered
302 Posts

The 6 speed does have the dip stick.
The Elite/Touring that uses the 9 speed transmission does not have a dip stick. Yes there is a air breather tube coming off the top but that is not for refilling your ATF.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The 6 speed does have the dip stick.
The Elite/Touring that uses the 9 speed transmission does not have a dip stick. Yes there is a air breather tube coming off the top but that is not for refilling your ATF.
thanks, now we have to wait and see who does the 9 speed first as i know mine will be due early next year and i would hate to pay someone just to open a bolt, drain fluid and fill it up for X dollars when i can do it myself better

·
Registered
23 Posts
thanks, now we have to wait and see who does the 9 speed first as i know mine will be due early next year and i would hate to pay someone just to open a bolt, drain fluid and fill it up for X dollars when i can do it myself better
Most respectfully, sir, we should all wish that servicing the 9-speed transmission were as simple as a drain-and-fill. Unhappily, it's a bit more complicated than that, to say the least. If you're a DIY-er, you may wish to Google the subject as a forewarning of what's involved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts