Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 03 only came with a single set of keys and remote.

1. Can I just buy any compatible remote off E-bay and follow these instructions?
2. I also want a set of backup keys, whats the programming steps for that?

Entering the programming mode cancels all learned keyless remotes, so none of the previously programmed remotes will work.
You must reprogram all of the keyless remotes once you are in the programming mode. You must complete each step within 5 seconds of the previous step to keep the system from exiting the programming mode.

Note: a maximum of 3 remote transmitters can be programmed.

Make sure all the doors are UNLOCKED before starting this programming procedure.

1. Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
2. Press the LOCK or UNLOCK button on one of the remotes. (An unprogrammed remote can be used for this step.)
3. Turn ignition switch to ACCESSORY (I) or LOCK (O)
4. Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
5. Press the LOCK or UNLOCK button on one of the remotes.
6. Turn ignition switch to ACCESSORY (I) or LOCK (O)
7. Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
8. Press the LOCK or UNLOCK button on one of the remotes.
9. Turn ignition switch to ACCESSORY (I) or LOCK (O)

10. Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
11. Press the LOCK or UNLOCK button the same remote. Make sure the power door locks cycle to confirm you are in programming mode.
12.Press the LOCK or UNLOCK button on each remote you want to program. Make sure door locks cycle after you push each remote button to confirm system has accepted the remote.
13.Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (O) to exit programming mode.

14. Test remote(s)

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,325 Posts
In theory you should be able to, however flEbay is filled with cheap knockoffs and fake items. While more expensive if it were me I would see what Rock Auto or one of the local Auto Parts stores had. If it doesn't work you not out the time, money and grief.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In theory you should be able to, however flEbay is filled with cheap knockoffs and fake items. While more expensive if it were me I would see what Rock Auto or one of the local Auto Parts stores had. If it doesn't work you not out the time, money and grief.
what about the immobilizer component? Is that a DIY programming or I'll need a locksmith for that?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,310 Posts
Get a new fob off Amazon or eBay Then reprogram all remotes together.

2005 2006 2007 2008 Honda Pilot Keyless Entry Car Remote Key Fob | eBay

Worked for me.

Best source for key fob

My Key Fob Keeps Falling Apart! Get New Screw? Or whole new Fob?

New Key Fob not working!!!!

Ones with ID46 immobilizer chips included are rarer:

Or you can buy the ID46 immobilizer by itself:

ID46 immobilizer chip honda | eBay

To program the immobilizer chip, if the dealer charges you more than one of these, just get one.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The 03 only came with a single set of keys and remote.

1. Can I just buy any compatible remote off E-bay and follow these instructions?
2. I also want a set of backup keys, whats the programming steps for that?

You can get 2 Replacement keys for under $20 on Ebay.. (make sure they have Transponder included ) no need to pay $40 or $70 each.
( look on the back or inside the Honda Key/Fob for a model number and add it to your Ebay search to get correct keys.) for example the number found for 2008 Honda Pilot Key/Fob was
CWTWB1U545

I wanted 2 extra/spare keys also for my Pilot, this is what I did >>>>

·
Registered
526 Posts
IF... IF the blade length , and width, and thickness for 2003 honda pilot is the same as the 2008 Honda Pilot keys, and you are looking for a 1-piece ( all-in-one ) then this might work

That is IF... if the Key Fob transmitter FREQUENCY for 2008 is also the same for 2003

or maybe this
2 New Replacement Keyless Entry Remote Car Fob T5 Chip Key For Honda HO01T5 | eBay

-------------------------------------------------------------
next...
If 2003 Honda Pilots KEY and FOB are only available in 2-Piece (separate) then THIS might be your key

Replacement For 2003 2004 2005 Honda Pilot Car Key + Fob Remote | eBay

or (this SWITCHBLADE type, from Taiwan so shipping might take WEEKS - didn't find any seller from USA on Ebay...)..

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L
1 Posts
Hi,

I had to have my key programmed at Batteries Plus Bulbs

the Key Fob / Keyless Entry is simple and easy to self program!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I programmed the remote entry, however, the key will not start the car.
So. I have missed a step, got the key with the appropriate part number.
Got the Key cut.
Programmed the remote.
Original key will start the car, but neither of the other 2 will.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
81 Posts
I programmed the remote entry, however, the key will not start the car.
So. I have missed a step, got the key with the appropriate part number.
Got the Key cut.
Programmed the remote.
Original key will start the car, but neither of the other 2 will.
sounds as if the new keys did not come with immobilizers, or you need to program them in a separate step.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,310 Posts
For the immobilizer chip, either dig them out of the original keys and secure them in your new keys, or buy new immobilizer chips and a little immobilizer programmer, or pay the dealership to do it, which will likely cost you more.

It's the immobilizer chip.

My AliExpress key worked just fine because I transferred the little immobilizer chip from my previous key.

Was your new key without a chip, as most are? Or did it specify it came "with chip" as this one does?

US $11.95 33% OFF|1pcs 433MHz 3 Buttons Keyless Entry Remote Key Fob Clicker with 46 Chip CWTWB1U545 fit for Honda Pilot 2005 2006 2007 2008|Car Key| - AliExpress

Since you don't have a previous key to transfer the immobilizer chip, in either case you'll need to get it programmed, either by the dealer or with a little chip programming tool.

If your new key didn't specify that it comes "with chip," you can one here, for example:

US $4.19 33% OFF|Blank T5 ID20 Carbon Chip Car Key Transponder Chip Replacement fit for VW AUDI HONDA|Car Key| - AliExpress

Next, program the chip either at the dealer ($) or get one of the blue Honda immobilizer chip programmers from AliExpress or eBay or wherever. Be sure it says "For Honda" and to buy from a seller you think you can trust.

honda easy key maker – Buy honda easy key maker with free shipping on AliExpress version

Once you have programmed the chip, install in that little space for it near the hilt of the key. Secure it there. I used blue sticky tack, like for putting up posters, but others have used glue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts