Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok love key fobs...but one unfortunate thing is now there does not seem to be a way to lock a spare key in the car after your favorite mechanic services your pilot So you can pick the car up the next morning...

does anyone know of a way To ”trick” the key FOB?

·
Registered
722 Posts
You can try tin foil or maybe one of those anti read bags for a toll pass. Last thought would be the simple approach, remove the battery.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok love key fobs...but one unfortunate thing is now there does not seem to be a way to lock a spare key in the car after your favorite mechanic services your pilot So you can pick the car up the next morning...

does anyone know of a way To ”trick” the key FOB?
This assumes you have a second FOB. Here's several ideas for you.
1. Have them pull the battery and leave it in the cup holder just before they lock the fob inside your vehicle.
2. My FOB has an actual key that can be used in the event of a battery/fob failure. Can you pull that key for them to use. There may be some procedural gymnastics to use the remote key without the fob.
3. Ask the dealer to lock the car and hold onto the FOB so you can pick it up at a later time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So all good ideas .. yes we have 2nd FOB for our 2021 awd exl

Toll bag or tin foil.. (what is a toll pass bag?)
Do these work?? Have you tried? Do these “shield” the fob from the vehicle

regarding the key removal out of fob.. I am not aware of anyway to use the “key” part of the fob to start the car.

And yes the latter idea is the logical logistic solution...though requires 2 trips.

thanks again

·
Registered
722 Posts
Toll bag or tin foil.. (what is a toll pass bag?)
Do these work?? Have you tried? Do these “shield” the fob from the vehicle

thanks again
I wasn't sure if you lived in an area that had toll passes or not, I guess not. It's a bag you put your E-ZPass or other RF frequency device in to block it from being read. It's similar to the anti-static bags they ship computer components in. I really don't know if those would 100% work, I no longer own a pilot so I couldn't check on one but I could try it on my current Volvo. Foil you can check on your own easily enough. I bet Google could also yield a solution if you don't care to test anything on your own.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My suggestion is that you experiment at home with your own two keys before taking the vehicle to a mechanic. My '16 Pilot will lock the doors with the key fob inside even though the owners manual clearly states that it will not. It makes no difference if I have the Walk Away Lock feature in Settings activated or disabled. Furthermore I do have a Ticonn faraday bag and it does not do what you are asking. I was so befuddled by these results I repeated them over and over, and got the same disappointing results every time. So either my car has a problem I didn't know it had before reading your post, my faraday bag is deficient, my owners manual is wrong, or I'm an idiot. Perhaps all of the above. :eek:

Quite honestly I would not do what you are asking about. If you did something like this and the vehicle really was stolen, the mechanic probably would not take responsibility & say its your fault.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Have you tried sitting in the passenger seat, opening the door, reaching over to manually lock the front drivers side door and exit via the passenger door and then manually lock and close the passenger side door with the fob in the car? It works on other car manufacturers but I've yet to try on the Pilot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My suggestion is that you experiment at home with your own two keys before taking the vehicle to a mechanic. My '16 Pilot will lock the doors with the key fob inside even though the owners manual clearly states that it will not. It makes no difference if I have the Walk Away Lock feature in Settings activated or disabled. Furthermore I do have a Ticonn faraday bag and it does not do what you are asking. I was so befuddled by these results I repeated them over and over, and got the same disappointing results every time. So either my car has a problem I didn't know it had before reading your post, my faraday bag is deficient, my owners manual is wrong, or I'm an idiot. Perhaps all of the above. :eek:

Quite honestly I would not do what you are asking about. If you did something like this and the vehicle really was stolen, the mechanic probably would not take responsibility & say its your fault.
i appreciate and wholeheartedly enjoyed your reply..particularly your choice of words. That said....given the lack of consistency in your results..this obviously makes me leary I would meet with a different outcome.

thanks again... will likely just plan to leave keys with dealer and pick up at later date

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hey, what if you locked the doors from the inside button with the doors closed, fob inside, but the window open. Then use the removable key to roll the windows up?

·
Registered
261 Posts
i appreciate and wholeheartedly enjoyed your reply..particularly your choice of words. That said....given the lack of consistency in your results..this obviously makes me leary I would meet with a different outcome.

thanks again... will likely just plan to leave keys with dealer and pick up at later date
This post is another great example of how I keep learning new things about my Pilot on this forum that I was totally unaware of before hand. Like you ckmerc, I was so leery of what I ran into checking my own key Fobs yesterday that I gave it another try today. Here is what I discovered this time.

My Pilot will lock and unlock with the keys in the vehicle contrary to what the owner manual states. Since the Fob batteries are 2 years old and I actually had some new Energizer 2032 batteries on hand in the house, I installed new ones. No change, same results. Incidentally, the 2-year old 3V battery in the Fob tested 3.01 volts on my voltmeter and the new ones tested 3.14v. I also have a trickle charger on the main car battery that I use to maintain it since it is over 4 1/2 years old. That battery was fully charged too, so I assume the car's systems are reading the key Fobs okay. When I put the key Fob inside my brand new Ticonn Faraday bag (it was a Christmas present a couple of weeks ago) they still functioned normally. The Pilot started, plus I was able to lock and unlock the vehicle by pressing on the outside of the Faraday bag where the Fob buttons were located inside the bag. I'm not happy about that at all. Then I wrapped the key Fob in aluminum foil, and ... drum roll please ... the key Fobs DID NOT start, lock, or unlock any of the vehicles at all. Honest, they were totally dead! I own a 2018 CRV and tried the very same things with the key Fobs on that car. Same results as the Pilot.

I did some searching on this forum and discovered other Pilot owners reporting the same thing, that their car locks with the key Fob inside. Including one scary post where a woman threw her purse that had her keys in it on the front seats after putting her baby in his backseat child seat. The auto lock activated when she closed the rear door before she could open her drivers door. That is the best reason in the world I can think of to deactivate Honda's Walk Away Lock feature. If I am doing something wrong to cause the car to lock while the key Fob is inside, I don't know what that is.

Back to your original question ckmerc. The only thing I can think of to lock a spare key in your car is to separate the removable key from the Fob as TWINTRBO suggests. I would leave the Fob in the glove box, lock the car and keep the removable key with you, or safely hide it somewhere within reach under the car frame. When you need to get in the Pilot, use the removable key to unlock the drivers door and get the Fob out of the glove box. As Tom Hanks told Wilson in the movie Cast Away, "It might work." ;) I used to hide a second key under the frame years ago when automakers only provided a key, and Fobs didn't exist. I learned the hard way after our own kids accidentally locked us out of the car a few times.

Hardwood Technology Material property Gadget Everyday carry

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This post is another great example of how I keep learning new things about my Pilot on this forum that I was totally unaware of before hand. Like you ckmerc, I was so leery of what I ran into checking my own key Fobs yesterday that I gave it another try today. Here is what I discovered this time.

My Pilot will lock and unlock with the keys in the vehicle contrary to what the owner manual states. Since the Fob batteries are 2 years old and I actually had some new Energizer 2032 batteries on hand in the house, I installed new ones. No change, same results. Incidentally, the 2-year old 3V battery in the Fob tested 3.01 volts on my voltmeter and the new ones tested 3.14v. I also have a trickle charger on the main car battery that I use to maintain it since it is over 4 1/2 years old. That battery was fully charged too, so I assume the car's systems are reading the key Fobs okay. When I put the key Fob inside my brand new Ticonn Faraday bag (it was a Christmas present a couple of weeks ago) they still functioned normally. The Pilot started, plus I was able to lock and unlock the vehicle by pressing on the outside of the Faraday bag where the Fob buttons were located inside the bag. I'm not happy about that at all. Then I wrapped the key Fob in aluminum foil, and ... drum roll please ... the key Fobs DID NOT start, lock, or unlock any of the vehicles at all. Honest, they were totally dead! I own a 2018 CRV and tried the very same things with the key Fobs on that car. Same results as the Pilot.

I did some searching on this forum and discovered other Pilot owners reporting the same thing, that their car locks with the key Fob inside. Including one scary post where a woman threw her purse that had her keys in it on the front seats after putting her baby in his backseat child seat. The auto lock activated when she closed the rear door before she could open her drivers door. That is the best reason in the world I can think of to deactivate Honda's Walk Away Lock feature. If I am doing something wrong to cause the car to lock while the key Fob is inside, I don't know what that is.

Back to your original question ckmerc. The only thing I can think of to lock a spare key in your car is to separate the removable key from the Fob as TWINTRBO suggests. I would leave the Fob in the glove box, lock the car and keep the removable key with you, or safely hide it somewhere within reach under the car frame. When you need to get in the Pilot, use the removable key to unlock the drivers door and get the Fob out of the glove box. As Tom Hanks told Wilson in the movie Cast Away, "It might work." ;) I used to hide a second key under the frame years ago when automakers only provided a key, and Fobs didn't exist. I learned the hard way after our own kids accidentally locked us out of the car a few times.

View attachment 143797
Ok. Thanks so....you are saying...(I think)

when I drop car off to have serviced... just leave the key fob without removable key...with the service folks... have them do the service Work and ask the to wrap the fob in tin foil and place the fob in glove box and the car will lock successfully?

apologies. Have not had my coffee yet.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah pretty much. You keep the removable key, but they should make sure the car is locked. Probably best by them using the lock button in the door handle after the fob is left inside. I don't think it matters in this case if the fob is wrapped in tin foil or not. Whichever you prefer. (I did all that to see if one really could block the fob's signal since my Faraday bag didn't work) What is important is that they let you know where to find the fob in the car when you pick it up. Without the fob, you won't be able to start the engine. You may want to try this at home first so you can experience how this approach works out before leaving it at the mechanic. Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts