Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Car Fax has a 9-26-17 Service Record at 62,930 miles (at this point 11 yrs old) at a Honda Shop in Harrisburg PA but all it says is " Vehicle Serviced, -Maintenance inspection completed -right airbag assembly replaced"...

I called and spoke to a woman in the Service Dept and all she could tell me is it said ENGINE also on her paper work but not much else, then added the mechanic who wrote that no longer works there..... so I left a message for someone else to call me back..

I hate to turn around and pay another $1,000 because they they didn't record a TIMING BELT PACKAGE on a Car Fax... Is there any way to learn who the Previous owner is to ask them ?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had a Honda guy look up my VIN in their system and he gave me a report of everything that had been logged in their system. It even listed part numbers.... but again, someone has to put that in. I'd ask the Honda dealer if they can give you a report of all service records they have, including any part numbers. If you cannot prove beyond a doubt that the timing belt was done, it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just yesterday we paid over $700 for our 1997 Crv to have the timing belt replaced,again no records.. and guess what.. it was LIKE NEW... it didn't need done.. that sucks! I did call there, the last Honda Shop.. all she said was it said ENGINE... obviously they have not pulled the records .... how do I ask for this in a way they will do it for me ?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just yesterday we paid over $700 for our 1997 Crv to have the timing belt replaced,again no records.. and guess what.. it was LIKE NEW... it didn't need done.. that sucks! I did call there, the last Honda Shop.. all she said was it said ENGINE... obviously they have not pulled the records .... how do I ask for this in a way they will do it for me ?
You cannot visibly determine the age nor condition of the belt. The one I took off that was 9 years old with over 100k miles looked brand new. That's more a testament to the driving conditions and the number of oil leaks on the vehicle than anything else.

I don't know how to get them to pull all the records. It is quite possible some shops wont. I just found a guy who was willing to help. Ask nicely? :)

It does not have to be the shop that did the work. I had a person in a different state look up mine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just called our local Honda Shop where we paid $100 last week to have this same Pilot Scanned... she told me that NO, they can not look this up for me, no Honda database like that.. that I would have to call directly to the Harrisburg Honda Shop (still waiting for another Service employee to call me back).... bummer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If not about whether the belt looks new or not. It’s the condition of the tensioner, water pump and pulleys around the timing belt. These wear out faster then the belt which can lead to timing belt failure and force the belt into snapping or jumping time.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you cannot prove beyond a doubt that the timing belt was done, it needs to be replaced.
First, I would be very surprised if the PO proactively asked the dealer to do a timing belt replacement at 63K miles. If the dealer did a normal "maintenance inspection" according to the MM, they wouldn't have done the TB as it would not have called for because....

According to Honda, the only governing requirement for TB replacement is when the MM says so. I have to repeat this over and over in this forum, but there is NO requirement for a MM-equipped Pilot (which is 2006 and later) to have the TB replaced based on calendar time. NONE. So by the book, this car did not need a TB replacement back in '17 nor does it need one now. Some might argue that it should be done based on the calendar-time requirement in earlier models, but not according to Honda.

If this were my car and I recently purchased it expecting to start put more normal yearly miles on it, I'd just wait until the MM trips in another year or two, probably around 100K.

- Mark

·
Registered
267 Posts
You are already ahead (that is, on borrowed time tho) even if you have TB replaced now. That Pilot is almost 14 years old ( I have 2005). I will not drive it out of town if I'm not sure major maintenance were not done. Knowing now (and having the insight!) what I have put into my Pilot, I would do this if I had bought the same car since I have not put a lot of $ on repairs and maintenance yet. Moreover, for insurance (or reassurance purposes), I will replace all fluids (brakes, power steering, coolant, VTM4 and tranny (D&F x 3) and belts. Also inspect the radiator and the undersides for severe corrosion. Investing in an old vehicle (no matter how good it is) is a serious investment as well as commitment (if not more so), imho. Only then, I will be reassured! Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Acura TLX A-Spec; 2006 Honda Pilot EXL- AWD
9 Posts
The Car Fax has a 9-26-17 Service Record at 62,930 miles (at this point 11 yrs old) at a Honda Shop in Harrisburg PA but all it says is " Vehicle Serviced, -Maintenance inspection completed -right airbag assembly replaced"...

I called and spoke to a woman in the Service Dept and all she could tell me is it said ENGINE also on her paper work but not much else, then added the mechanic who wrote that no longer works there..... so I left a message for someone else to call me back..

I hate to turn around and pay another $1,000 because they they didn't record a TIMING BELT PACKAGE on a Car Fax... Is there any way to learn who the Previous owner is to ask them ?
Car Fax can only report the information given to them by the dealership but the service records would certainly contain more information. My advice as an Acura employee is to make friends with a Service Advisor or call the Service Manager/Directly. They should be willing to read you the line item entries of work completed. They would probably be less inclined to send you copies, but you never know. Honda/Acura dealerships do not share service work history, however they can research recall and warranty claims. If there are multiple Honda dealerships in the area call them all. Aisin does supply a sticker with the timing belt package for the tech to put in the engine bay with the date and miles at TB replacement. Mine is located near the fuses and the windshield wiper fluid cap. Check for that as well.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Car Fax can only report the information given to them by the dealership but the service records would certainly contain more information. My advice as an Acura employee is to make friends with a Service Advisor or call the Service Manager/Directly. They should be willing to read you the line item entries of work completed. They would probably be less inclined to send you copies, but you never know. Honda/Acura dealerships do not share service work history, however they can research recall and warranty claims. If there are multiple Honda dealerships in the area call them all. Aisin does supply a sticker with the timing belt package for the tech to put in the engine bay with the date and miles at TB replacement. Mine is located near the fuses and the windshield wiper fluid cap. Check for that as well.
That makes sense. What was pulled for me when I bought my Pilot was all the warranty work that had been done. It was just barely out of warranty when I bought it so it makes sense that was all the items listed.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Aisin does supply a sticker with the timing belt package for the tech to put in the engine bay with the date and miles at TB replacement. Mine is located near the fuses and the windshield wiper fluid cap. Check for that as well.
Cool to know. If it weren't -20 tonight I'd run out and check it right away. ?

·
Banned
379 Posts
Looks mean nothing. I replaced mine in a 2010 Ridgeline and it looked flawless. It was at 152k! I'm betting mine was stretched a bit though. Better to do it.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Don't think twice. Change it all out. Kit on Rockauto with 5% discount code is around $180.
Aisin TKH-002
Videos on YouTube can walk you through it.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
If concerned get the TB, WP, tensioners changed because if there is no record there won't be peace of mind. That way you are all set for the next 100K plus now the coolant is new too! A few years ago my dealer had a fall service special $150 off TB/WP and the bill was around $600.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts