Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have been using the valet key for years and thought I would help my sister fix this key. We have the shell and the chip as I understand it appear present. The button and guts are missing and the shell has a big crack in it at the base. Seems I can buy the key on amazon and get it cut at a locksmith. But it wont have the chip in it.

Ideas on what I can do here? The dealership wants $180 for a new key.

I could replace just the shell and swap my cut key into it and or buy a whole replacement key with electronics and cut the key to match. But does the dealership need to program it? What about the chip?

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,582 Posts
You"ll have to buy a new key. It won't work without the guts and I doubt you can buy that individually. I'd recommend buying the OEM Honda fob online (I've found it on eBay for around $60. Call a bunch of locksmiths in your area and see if they're able to cut and program Honda keys. The price the dealer gave you isn't insane, my dealer quoted me around $150.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok , people report that this one works:

But would I need to yank the chip out of my old one and maybe glue it into the inside of this one?
Other than trying this, it will be a more expensive option I'll have to try such as the OEM part.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,255 Posts
But would I need to yank the chip out of my old one and maybe glue it into the inside of this one?
Yes. You're lucky if you still have the chip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts