Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After watching several DIY PSF flush videos, I took the good points from them to create what I feel is the best method of getting a complete flush without starting the vehicle which allows the fluid to become aerated (foam). This can be a big problem and is unnecessary. Here are the steps....
  1. Place towels/rags all around PS reservoir, over serpentine belt and alternator to prevent any spill from getting into/on vital components.
  2. Draw out all the old PSF you can from the reservoir.
  3. Disconnect upper/smaller return line from the reservoir.
  4. Cap hose barb on reservoir. I used a rubber vacuum cap. (Assortment sold at O'Reilly's)
  5. With a double sided 3/8 hose barb I connect an additional length of hose to the return line to the floor dropping the end into a container to capture old fluid.
  6. Set parking brake, chock back wheels.
  7. Lift both front tires just slightly off the ground.
  8. Fill reservoir with fresh PSF.
  9. Unlock steering wheel with key. Do not start. Disconnect battery if you don't trust yourself.
  10. Begin turning steering wheel lock to lock, slowly. This will pump old fluid out drawing fresh fluid in from the reservoir.
  11. IMPORTANT! Stop frequently to refill reservoir, prevent air from being drawn into the system. One turn of the wheel draws a lot.
  12. Repeat until fresh fluid is observed flowing out of return line.
  13. The fluid level must drop below the 3/8 hose barb on the reservoir to reconnect the return line.
  14. Reconnect the return line to the reservoir.
  15. Fill reservoir to the max level.
  16. Replace cap.
  17. Remove towels/rags from the engine compartment.
  18. Pat self on the back for not making a mess.
I was able to do the job with one 32oz bottle of PS fluid on my Crosstour, but you must not waste a single drop. With a clean syringe, I had to draw out fluid down past the return line conection in order to reconnect hose so I didn't waste any. It was just enough to do the job. My only complaint using the LubeGaurd PSF for Honda Acura is the bottle size. No room for error or you have to buy 2 bottles. 3 Genuine Honda 12oz bottles is 36oz. More than enough to have a complete flush of the system.

· Registered
379 Posts
I poured some prestone PS fluid in to top off my reservoir when I changed the pump a few months ago. I think I'm going to take it apart again, makes sure the o-rings are ok (or change them just as a precaution) and refill with Honda fluid.

· Registered
14,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I poured some prestone PS fluid in to top off my reservoir when I changed the pump a few months ago. I think I'm going to take it apart again, makes sure the o-rings are ok (or change them just as a precaution) and refill with Honda fluid.
Was it the synthetic version ok for Honda?

· Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
5,167 Posts
Just saw this on the Tacoma forum. Instead of lifting the front wheels off the ground, the person used linoleum tile “sandwiches” (grease in between the tiles) under both front tires. I imagine he just drove his rig onto the tiles, saving the time of lifting the rig. The front tires pivoted on the sandwiches when he turned the steering wheel.

I’m going to try this method the next time I do a power steering fluid exchange.

Reactions: Nail Grease

· Registered
14,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just saw this on the Tacoma forum. Instead of lifting the front wheels off the ground, the person used linoleum tile “sandwiches” (grease in between the tiles) under both front tires. I imagine he just drove his rig onto the tiles, saving the time of lifting the rig. The front tires pivoted on the sandwiches when he turned the steering wheel.

I’m going to try this method the next time I do a power steering fluid exchange.
Yes, the idea is to not flat spot your tires turning the wheel left and right multiple times.👍

Reactions: road2cycle

· Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
5,167 Posts
Yes, the idea is to not flat spot your tires turning the wheel left and right multiple times.👍
Yup, I figure that and not put the steering rack under the stress of turning the tires on a high friction surface.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts