Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New hear so bear with me. I apologize if there is a thread here already and would appreciate the link. I tried the search and came up with nothing. Only one was for a 2011 which is a different setup.

I have installed LED bulbs in the low and high beam locations. My concern is that the high which is also the DRL on mine is a bit bright even during the day since it is full bright with the LED installed. I thought I could just pull a DRL fuse and turn off that function. I looked up the fuses and pulled the two 10A #12 & #13 fuses but I was getting a dash warning and I think also the high beams were not working or something. I did not spend a lot of time on it and was going to attempt it again. There is also a 20A fuse #18 and I think I tried that also. Anyway...something was not working as I had hoped after a quick try.

Anyone have info on what needs to be done to disable this for my 2012?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
It's a little complicated on these cars since they use pulse width modulation to limit the voltage going to the bulb, therefor producing lower brightness during DRL function. I don't remember what the solution was but there were discussions on DriveAccord by a member (dreaminaccord I believe) and how he handled bypassing the PWM without getting a DRL code. His issue was on his retrofitted bi-xenon headlights the PWM was wearing out the solenoids since it was constantly trying to activate and deactivate.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not having any issues with the reduced voltage. The LED's see that and are able to increase it to full power though the inline controller/transformer. No flickering or anything. I just feel it will be best to disable it. I never really liked how dim the halogens are with that on. Just looks like the car has lights that are nearly burnt out all the time.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I am not having any issues with the reduced voltage. The LED's see that and are able to increase it to full power though the inline controller/transformer. No flickering or anything. I just feel it will be best to disable it. I never really liked how dim the halogens are with that on. Just looks like the car has lights that are nearly burnt out all the time.
Right but the DRL system expects to see some sort of voltage come through the system, so you have to put in a resistor or fooler of some sort that will receive the PWM voltage and send it out so the system thinks the bulb is functioning even though you have a resistor in place. But then you need to have it set up where the high beam still functions... I can look on DA for dreaminaccord's threads later, he describes it much better than I am.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don’t know exactly but it’s on the interior fuse box . Page 456 of owners manual from owners.honda.com. Didn’t want to give wrong info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhh...I did not see #37 marked as Day Light initially. I will try that out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@dblees thanks for your reply. That did it. Not sure why they have so many others in the fuse box labeled Daytime Running Light...but the 7.5A fuse #37 labeled "Day Light" did the trick.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
Well, if you ever go to visit our neighbors to the north, just remember to put the fuse back before you cross the border. They are a required piece of equipment in Canada.

As for Mexico I'm not sure anyone knows. I think they just make it up as they go along. Their rules are so convoluted that I'm not why anyone would want to take a vehicle to Mexico or drive there. I haven't been in Mexico since the late 70's when my wife Grandmother owned a snowbird park in Brownsville and have no desire to go there now.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Easy enough to flip on the headlights if I ever need to make a run for some syrup. But HEB generally has plenty.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
Hey, its a really nice place to visit. Canada that is. Been there a few times and always enjoyed it. Plus to get there I don't need to crawl into a recirculating germ factory crammed in to tiny seats with no leg room just waiting with all the other cattle in the box car for my complimentary 1/3 can of pop and bag of peanuts.

With the way things are right now It may be a while before I get to go back, but I'll get there again someday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts