Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a fluid change on my transmission.What is the official way to check transmission fluid on 3rd gen pilots. Owners manual just says go to dealer. What I think I’ve learned so far is to:

1. Warm up engine to operating temp on level ground (this doesn’t warm up the transmission though?)

2. Turn car off

3. With in about 60sec or so check the fluid level via dip stick

What about after you change the fluid and put cold new fluid in? Put aprox the correct amount and then drive it around to warm it up? Then check?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
295 Posts
Doing a fluid change on my transmission.What is the official way to check transmission fluid on 3rd gen pilots. Owners manual just says go to dealer. What I think I’ve learned so far is to:

1. Warm up engine to operating temp on level ground (this doesn’t warm up the transmission though?)

2. Turn car off

What about after you change the fluid and put cold new fluid in? Put aprox the correct amount and then drive it around to warm it up? Then check?

Thanks guys
As i was going to attempt to do this myself since i usually replace my own oil. The 3rd Gen pilot does not have a dipstick rather it has a fill hole that serves as a level indicator hence, when full it will drip and it is located in the driver side front wheel. The part that made me go to the dealer (for the 9 Speed) is, you need to measure the temperature using a $300 tool before topping it off so what i did was buy the transmission oil cheaper at Acura and head on to honda to have it done at a negotiated price of C$150. Do the front transaxle yourself and save the money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As i was going to attempt to do this myself since i usually replace my own oil. The 3rd Gen pilot does not have a dipstick rather it has a fill hole that serves as a level indicator hence, when full it will drip and it is located in the driver side front wheel. The part that made me go to the dealer (for the 9 Speed) is, you need to measure the temperature using a $300 tool before topping it off so what i did was buy the transmission oil cheaper at Acura and head on to honda to have it done at a negotiated price of C$150. Do the front transaxle yourself and save the money.
Sorry, I forgot to mention mine is the 6speed.

·
Registered
183 Posts

2. Turn car off

Thanks guys
Yes,,try to measure the amount that you drain out and replace that amount. Drive around some and then check the level on the dipstick. There are a couple of good threads on this forum on best ways to drain and refill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes,,try to measure the amount that you drain out and replace that amount. Drive around some and then check the level on the dipstick. There are a couple of good threads on this forum on best ways to drain and refill.

So I cut the top off the top of a milk jug, just making a hole big enough to put a hand through, not really loosing much capacity. When I pulled the drain plug off the transmission and put the jug under, it just about overfilled it. When I measured how much came out, it was around 3.8 qts. When I went back and fill the transmission I just put 3.3qts in to start. After warming the fluid up and pulling the dip, it just barely registered on the dip stick. Before I started all of this, I checked the current levels and they where perfect. Funny how the technical specs only want 3.3qts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts