Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally developed enough courage and decided to take a peek at the timing belt to see if it's too lose, which I thoght might be attributable to the pinging sound I've had to put up with for a very long time now on my 2003 Pilot (purchased last Aug.)

What I noticed is that the timing belt, while not what I'd call lose, was noticeably less taut or had less tension than the narrower steering belt right next to it. I don't know exactly how tight the timing belt is supposed to be, but I read in another Honda forum that they both should be pretty tight.

I know the steering belt is thicker and narrower than the timing belt and also, there probably has to be a bit more give in the timing belt to account for the teeth on it and the teeth on the pulley it spins on, but still, I found the timing belt with more give than I thought there'd be.

Is this something I should take to the dealer to have them look at or is the timing belt supposed to be like this? I should mention that this is my first time ever taking a look at to check the timing belt. All I'm comparing the tautness of the timing belt is against the steering belt's.

Also, it probably was just me with my "all thumbs" syndrome, but it was really difficult and tricky to get the darn timing belt cover back on. Taking it off wasn't too bad, but the steering belt gets in the way of properly putting the cover back into the right place. Ended up with alot of scratches on the cover.:3:

Lastly, let's say the dealer deems that the belt was too lose and they decided to tighten it somehow or end up replacing whatever part that needed replacing. Is a valve leak test warranted since I've been driving with the lose timing belt for such a long time now? I would say the problem started about last October at the latest (purchased in Aug.) and have about 22,000KM (13,500miles) on it.

Any input, suggestions, tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Maybe someone with a service manual will chime in. But- a v or serpentine belt depends on friction to grip, so it has to be somewhat tight. A gearbelt grabs and stays indexed by the teeth, so it doesn't need to be near as tight since friction doesn't come into play. It, of course, has to be tight enough to never jump a tooth, but any more isn't really needed. Maybe kemosabe will scan the page in for us before Honda sends him the threatening legal letter:p Hurry up kemo--I want to scarf all the free manual stuff I can;)

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
RipRock,

The only # I can find in the X manual is for the power steering belt: 1/2-5/8 inches deflection (w/22lbs of force midway between the pulleys). There is no commentary at all re: deflection of the timing belt, which as you and AlH have mentioned is toothed. The only info in the "inspection" section is to check for cracks or oil on it. The installation section (lengthy) also does not mention tension or deflection measures.

There is even less info on the auto tensioner, beyond the fact that one exists and how to remove/replace (i.e. no inspection/function info).

Perhaps an 03 Pilot manual will have more info; this is from an 01 X manual.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AlH & TW, thanks for your input. TW, I doubt if the '03 manual would have more specific since yours didn't, but it was good enough for me. It wasn't as though I needed more info so I can get in there and take the timing belt components apart:p Thanks again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Timing Belt Tension Unit

Hi RipRock,

Better safe then sorry, I have it checked out. My Honda just turned 1 year old in August, but 3 months ago. I noticed a buzzing sound at 2000 RPM while driving. Took it into the dealer and they said I had a bad timing belt tension unit. Car was in the shop for a week while waiting for this part which was back ordered. Guess they had a few issues with this part. Dealer was nice, Got a rental for the week.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vinograd : yeah, thanks for the link. Looks like the same TSB/Recall notice was issued for some of the Pilots out there too.

storm : That's super that your dealer took action right away like that. Did a technician go for a testdrive in your Pilot at all after you mentioned your noise issue or did they just take it in right away and started the diagnosis? Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Timing Belt

Hi Rip Rock,

They had a technician take me to the back of bay where my pilot was. He got in and started it. I asked him to rev up to about 2000 RPM and right away he here the buzzing sounds. They took the car and call me later that afternoon saying the pilot needed a new tension timing belt. I went down to the dealer and got an Enterprise Rental.

So far no issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts