Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried so hard to be patient, but the salesman I'm working with does not communicate well. :confused: His manager told us the build date for my Pilot was Aug 10-14. However, the salesman says he doesn't have a VIN and says it might come one or two days before the car arrives. I questioned him how he gets VINs and he said via fax. He also said not all customers get VINs before the car is delivered.

Supposedly "the computer says" the car will arrive around Aug 20 and the manager said it could be up to 3 weeks after build which is Sep 4. I hate it when people say "the computer says".

Does anyone who has an Aug 10-14 build date have a VIN yet? Those of you who got VINs before delivery - how long was it after build when you got the VIN and how long was it before delivery? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My sales rep told my my build date was August 9-11, and i still do not have a VIN number, but then i have not called either. I think i will soon. They told me that i would get my vehicle about two weeks later.... let me know when you get your VIN and delivery date. What options were you thinking of?

Steve

·
Registered
347 Posts
My build date was Aug 11-14, and they gave me a VIN on the 15. They told me that it will be in transit for 10 days. Hopefully :6: "praying" it will be here the 25th.

·
Registered
509 Posts
dsmith said:
I have tried so hard to be patient, but the salesman I'm working with does not communicate well. :confused:
They must all attend the same Honda School of Communications! I know there are lots of good experiences out there, but it seems like there are far too many bad ones too!

His manager told us the build date for my Pilot was Aug 10-14.

Just keep in mind, that because he's the manager, doesn't necessarily mean that he knows any more than the salesman. In my experience, some of them even know less!

However, the salesman says he doesn't have a VIN and says it might come one or two days before the car arrives. I questioned him how he gets VINs and he said via fax. He also said not all customers get VINs before the car is delivered.

I'm not exactly sure of the process, but this could possibly be true? My sales manager claimed that the VIN is available as soon as the vehicle is produced. I thought he said that the VINs showed up on their daily report, but I could be wrong? Don't recall anything about faxes.

Supposedly "the computer says" the car will arrive around Aug 20 and the manager said it could be up to 3 weeks after build which is Sep 4. I hate it when people say "the computer says".

Yeah, that really takes the "personal" touch out of it, doesn't it?! Sometimes they act like they can't pick up a darn phone and find out for themselves. I think there is a thread somewhere that discussed transit times. I thought they were averaging 10-14 days?

Does anyone who has an Aug 10-14 build date have a VIN yet? Those of you who got VINs before delivery - how long was it after build when you got the VIN and how long was it before delivery? Thanks for the info.

Our Sandstone EX-L RES was also scheduled to be built from 8/10 - 8/14, and I happened to be talking to the dealer on Thursday 8/15 about financing and inquired into its status. I was told that it completed production on 8/14, and was scheduled for pick up on 8/15 - right on time (too good to be true). We talked for a while about other things, and he said that someone just slipped him a piece of paper with our VIN on it. I was able to go into the Honda Owner Link, and it pulled up our correct vehicle, which seemed to confirm the production. Of course, I could still be sitting around 2 weeks from now and cursing my head off when I still don't have my Pilot! :3:

I'm located near Harrisburg, PA, and the dealer all along has been telling me about 2 weeks transit from Alliston, Ontario, however during our conversation the other day, they indicated that they're been seeing about 10 days transit on average.

I'll also throw in that the dealer said, strange things happen from time to time, like Pilots being done early, and some even showing up unannounced! I thought he said that one just showed up the other day that they weren't expecting. Sounds like the timing of things might have a little left to be desired?

I know that copilot's Pilot was supposed to be built at the same time as ours, but he still didn't have confirmation or a VIN. I guess that makes me lucky and you guys SOL! :12:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just spoke with my friendly sales manager,
and he told me that the VIN will be available
about 2 weeks prior to
the build date. Go figure...
My build date is Sept 28, so we'll see.

Oh, btw, if someone is in Boston area and is
looking for red EXL -- send me a private message,
I think this guys have one coming that is
not pre-sold.

·
Registered
138 Posts
:32: I know there is a tread about how you determined the VIN# of the car as the no# of car.

How can I tell what no# is my car? :confused:

·
Registered
509 Posts
chinalfr said:
:32: I know there is a thread about how you determined the VIN# of the car as the no# of car.

How can I tell what no# is my car? :confused:
Its going to be the last 5 digits in the VIN #...

Its normally the last 6 digits, but they haven't made that many Pilots yet. I thought I read somewhere that they were going to build about 80K units per year?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks, SoapPlant.

That makes my car #18404

·
Registered
186 Posts
SoapPlant; My Pilot was built 8/10 - not only did I receive the Vin# the following Monday - My Pilot was at the dealer on Saturday the 17th (Madison, Wisconsin). It's number 20604 - I went to see it today - have painted gray pinstripe completed - they are installing accessories (Steps, Mirror Covers, Fog lights, Flaps, Deflector - Day-night mirror is on back order)....Havasu Blue looks GREAT. I'm not taking delivery until Thursday - it's surprise for my wife, and my daughters are going to get her to the dealer for pickup!

Bake in Wisconsin
Havasu Blue - EX-L RES

·
Registered
900 Posts
bakerlar:
Ours was built 8/11 and we got VIN shortly after that
(20,620) -- as we discussed before, our Pilots (both Havasu Blue)
were probably close on the assembly line.

Ours isn't here yet - we're jealous!
Kentucky is a bit more of a drive than Wisconsin, however.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mine was...

supposed to be built the 12th thru 16th and I still don't have the VIN. Dealer (who strangly enough) I trust doesn't have it. SoapPlant got his within a day or so. Hopefully mine was built on Friday the 16th (DID I SAY THAT):eek: I never wanted a car built on Friday or Monday.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Look at the proximity of some of the VIN's I wonder how many pilots the plant is pushing out a day? My guess is that Honda will wind making closer to 100,000 pilots rather than their targeted 80,000 for the model year.

·
Registered
120 Posts
build date and VIN

Soaplant: Forget everything you ever believed about cars being built on Monday or Friday. Mine was built on Sunday. You see, Honda is working shifts of 4 days on and 4 days off. The plant never shuts down. Every day of the week consists of two 12 hour shifts. Assembly occurs for about 10 hours during each shift. The remaining 2 hrs/shift are for lunch, breaks and maintanence. So, it would be hard to determine where your car falls in the 4 day week.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Re: build date and VIN

tibbitts said:
Soaplant: Forget everything you ever believed about cars being built on Monday or Friday. Mine was built on Sunday. You see, Honda is working shifts of 4 days on and 4 days off. The plant never shuts down. Every day of the week consists of two 12 hour shifts. Assembly occurs for about 10 hours during each shift. The remaining 2 hrs/shift are for lunch, breaks and maintanence. So, it would be hard to determine where your car falls in the 4 day week.
Actually, I think it was copilot who was concerned about the whole Monday/Friday thing! But that's OK, I've totally fogotten about it already! :26:

I'll just be glad to get my freakin' Pilot, built on any day of the week at this point!

·
Registered
289 Posts
It was me...

worried about Fri or Mon. I'm old and haven't bought a car in 12 model years so what the heck do I know. Thanks for the info;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
BIG WHOOOPS

Sorry for the mixup. I am with you Copilot, this is the first time in 31 years that I didn't just pick a car off the lot. That car was a "71" Nova. Had to have been a Wednesday car. Held it for 10 years 100+K, (not bad for a chevy, Huh?)
In that time the only thing I replaced that wasn't normal maintanence was the water pump. Anyway, I digress, as my partner pointed out in another thread, our Pilot was supposedly built on 8/11, a Sunday, and is currently waiting to hitch a ride from Nashville to Lexington.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I was 50 miles south visiting relatives and dropped in on the dealership where I am purchasing my Pilot. My salesman wasn't there. Today was the day he told me "the computer said" it was to arrive. No follow-up with me since then.

I said half joking/ half serious I was there because I was told my car was supposed to be in. They laughed - There's no Pilot in.

Another salesman pulled a sheet of paper out and said it was in transit. I looked at the page and it had the VIN, the assignment date of 8/12, and a ship date that was cut off. Of course the salesman didn't offer to find out what that ship date was. I was in a hurry or I would have made him find it. I guess it will get here when it gets here whether I know the ship date or not - should be soon.

So I finally have my VIN number and I took comfort in seeing my name next to it on their list. Of course it took a personal visit to get it. Not sure why my salesman wasn't the one to get that info to me when I asked for it so many times? I'll see how long putting on the tow package delays me getting it.

Thanks all for the info on getting the VIN.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts