Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Pilot 240,000 miles. Wife said "battery" light was on for a half day. Kept driving it. Heard a noise on highway and then oil light came on and then car lost all power. She made it to side of the road. Got car towed home. Car cranks but won't start. Oddly I didn't see any codes on my code reader. Does this sound like a timing belt issue? How screwed am I if it went while driving? Has this happened to any of you?
Thank you for your help

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,866 Posts
Timing belt issue? Yep, I'd put money on it. When was the last time you put a new timing belt, water pump, tensioner, etc in.

As for screwed, you could be somewhat screwed ie: $4000 +/- for a rebuilt engine, or really screwed $8000 +/- for a new engine. When a timing belt breaks in an interference engine the engine is toast. Sorry to hear about the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The timing belt was overdue. It was on my “to do” list as I was giving the car to my son. I replaced the entire front suspension, motor mounts, rear shocks and I literally did the brakes/rotors yesterday afternoon!! This is so disappointing. Is the battery light a sign of timing belt issues? That was the first indication of an issue.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Timing belt issue? Yep, I'd put money on it. When was the last time you put a new timing belt, water pump, tensioner, etc in.

As for screwed, you could be somewhat screwed ie: $4000 +/- for a rebuilt engine, or really screwed $8000 +/- for a new engine. When a timing belt breaks in an interference engine the engine is toast. Sorry to hear about the problem.
Are there "NEW" 2003-2008 Engines available for Honda Pilots ?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,582 Posts
Technically, you may not be screwed. You could always put a new timing belt and everything else on and see if the car starts and runs. If you DIY you'd only be out the price of the parts and you'd know for sure.

If you spend anywhere close to $4,000 on an engine, you are getting MAJORLY ripped off.
Find a motor on car-part.com. MAKE SURE IT IS THE EXACT MODEL YOU CURRENTLY HAVE...
Either do it yourself or pay a trusted mechanic to do the swap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would not be doing the timing belt myself, so it would cost me $800 or so just to find out. What worries me is that the oil light came on right when the engine quit. Would the oil light go on it there wasn’t a problem? Anyone here had a belt go while driving and not had any engine damage?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,179 Posts
Have you looked under the hood for any signs of damage?
Did you try removing the timing belt cover to get a peek at the belt?

The thing that makes me wonder if it’s not the timing belt is you mentioned the battery light was on for a long period of time. Was this a sign of the alternator failing? Perhaps the alternator failing drained the battery to the point where the Pilot died. Have you tried a new battery?

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
14 Posts
before spending the money on the timing belt swap, do a compression test to make sure you didnt bend a valve or even break one....my 05 recently did something similar, turns out the timing was fine, but #1 cylinder intake valve literally broke off and dropped into the engine..caused a random misfire..all signs of it jumping timing were there. Who would have thought a broken valve at 135k?!

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
If you find out the timing belt snapped, invest in a bore scope. Scope out each cylinder, through the spark plug port, to determine the extent of the damage. Hopefully it wasn’t the timing belt since bad things happen to interference engines when the timing belt breaks at high engine RPMs.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No signs of damage under the hood. AAA tested the alternator and battery and they are fine. I read that the battery light can be a sign of a slipping timing belt. I’m worried about the oil light coming on when my wife felt/heard the slight noise and then lost power. She said it was not a loud bang.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Have you looked under the hood for any signs of damage?
Did you try removing the timing belt cover to get a peek at the belt?

The thing that makes me wonder if it’s not the timing belt is you mentioned the battery light was on for a long period of time. Was this a sign of the alternator failing? Perhaps the alternator failing drained the battery to the point where the Pilot died. Have you tried a new battery?
Betting on the side that it's not the TB failure a driver disregarding the battery light for an extended period may not realize when the engine cuts out a lot of the idiot lights pop on. Heres hoping for a better outcome...

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
The alternator runs on a serpentine belt, which is separate from the timing belt. I doubt the timing belt was slipping for hours, but if the serpentine belt was slipping for quite some time the battery light could turn on.

Did you check the oil level with the dipstick? The oil light may have been a phantom since strange things happen when car voltage drops below a certain value.

I also have my doubts AAA checked the alternator, since the engine needs to be running to perform that test.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you have some basic tools either pull the covers of the cam gears or look in the windows as you turn the crank. See if everything lines up. If you turn the crank and the cams don’t turn the belt is broken or missing teeth. If the timing marks don’t line up it means the belt has slipped or is missing teeth. Make sure to line the mark up on the crank and if you don’t see the marks rotate it 360-degrees and check again.

·
Administrator
4,866 Posts
Technically, you may not be screwed. You could always put a new timing belt and everything else on and see if the car starts and runs. If you DIY you'd only be out the price of the parts and you'd know for sure.

If you spend anywhere close to $4,000 on an engine, you are getting MAJORLY ripped off.
Find a motor on car-part.com. MAKE SURE IT IS THE EXACT MODEL YOU CURRENTLY HAVE...
At highway speed with an interference engine, that's not a bet I would take.
Are there "NEW" 2003-2008 Engines available for Honda Pilots ?
Ever here the song One Piece At A Time?

·
Administrator
4,866 Posts

At highway speeds with an interference engine, that's not a bet I would take.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My wife only drove for about 10 miles with the battery light on before the car quit. it’s not the alternator because the battery wasn’t dead when I got to her on the side of the road. The oil level was fine. No leaks either. I brought it to the mechanic today. He said it’s the timing belt. He will do a compression test tomorrow. If the compression is good, should I be all set? What else could go wrong other than bent valves?
Thank for the responses.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Bummer it’s the timing belt. Was hoping it would be something simpler. Hopefully there is no damage to the piston heads or the cylinder walls.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My wife only drove for about 10 miles with the battery light on before the car quit. it’s not the alternator because the battery wasn’t dead when I got to her on the side of the road. The oil level was fine. No leaks either. I brought it to the mechanic today. He said it’s the timing belt. He will do a compression test tomorrow. If the compression is good, should I be all set? What else could go wrong other than bent valves?
Thank for the responses.
Broken timing belt means the valves stop moving, but the pistons keep going. Pistons hit the valves, bend the valves. Usually pistons are still ok, but no guarantee. Most likely need both cylinder heads removed, rebuilt, reinstalled, and new timing belt and tensioner and idlers and water pump. It's going to cost a bit, my WAG is a couple thousand or more. You may wish to consider a used engine instead. Price engines on car-part.com. Get a price for labor on the engine swap so you can compare the whole deal.

And the question is: is your rebuilt engine going to be better than some unknown used engine? We would need a crystal ball for that question. Compare costs and make your decision.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Bigger question is - do you keep this vehicle or get rid of it?

15 years old
~240,000 miles

Does it have any rust? Does it have any other problems? In reality, what is the car worth, and will you be able to fix it (either rebuilding or used engine) and use it long enough before another major repair? If you love the Pilot, should you consider investing the money you would throw at this one and instead spend that money on a different Pilot that's slightly newer with fewer miles?

30 years ago, it was quite common to say a vehicle was worth $200 per month - so if you invest $2400 in repairs, you needed to drive it for a full year to recoup that cost. If you increase that to $300 or $400/month in today's market - then you still need to drive it 6-8 months with no other problems. In the big picture, if you think you can get 2-3 years out of the vehicle after fixing it, then it may be worth it...

As the owner, only you can make that call. It seems like you just did a ton of work on it - so perhaps it's worth it. The other thing to consider though - if you get another first gen Pilot, you can remove all those new parts from yours before you junk it, and then you'll have the parts for the new used vehicle.

Vehicles that we've had for years become part of the family and can be difficult to part with, but eventually they all find their way to the scrap yard or U-Pull it lots...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bummer it’s the timing belt. Was hoping it would be something simpler. Hopefully there is no damage to the piston heads or the cylinder walls.
Did it quit at high or low Rpms cause my TB broke at low rpms and had to replace 18 if the 24 valves.. sorry just informing on my experience

1 - 20 of 25 Posts