Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L 4wd
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all. Been a member for a few months- bought an ‘03 in July with 140k on the clock. Car runs well and I’ve taken care of everything that (I think) it needs. Oil change, coolant flush, power steering flush, new steering rack, inner and outer tie rods, strut assemblies, lower control arms/ball joints, sway bar links, new tires and 4x drain and fills for the transmission And last week installed a trans cooler. After poking around on the forums some, I’m terrified at the thought of the transmission failing. Is this a real thing? Or overblown? I’m familiar with forums and how the bad gets posted 20x as much as the good. I’ve put about 11,000mi on it since July. It’s my daily and also our (my wife and I) camp/getaway car. I made a bed for the back, installed an ARB retractable awning and cross bars + roof basket.

Anyway, should I be concerned about my transmission suddenly going? Is this a real concern or have I just worried myself silly over a few (maybe more than a few) posts on here about sudden trans failures that so happen to be around my current mileage?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
89 Posts
Hey y’all. Been a member for a few months- bought an ‘03 in July with 140k on the clock. Car runs well and I’ve taken care of everything that (I think) it needs. Oil change, coolant flush, power steering flush, new steering rack, inner and outer tie rods, strut assemblies, lower control arms/ball joints, sway bar links, new tires and 4x drain and fills for the transmission And last week installed a trans cooler. After poking around on the forums some, I’m terrified at the thought of the transmission failing. Is this a real thing? Or overblown? I’m familiar with forums and how the bad gets posted 20x as much as the good. I’ve put about 11,000mi on it since July. It’s my daily and also our (my wife and I) camp/getaway car. I made a bed for the back, installed an ARB retractable awning and cross bars + roof basket.

Anyway, should I be concerned about my transmission suddenly going? Is this a real concern or have I just worried myself silly over a few (maybe more than a few) posts on here about sudden trans failures that so happen to be around my current mileage?

Thanks!
I don’t think so like any other vehicle take care of the maintenance and the pilot should give you many mileage especially because you installed a transmission cooler and changed the transmission fluid every 70k that’s what I do to all my vehicles I don’t have problems with my transmission 2008 pilot 117k

·
Registered
14 Posts
Setup sounds cool. Pix?

I bought a used 2005 last year. The guy already rebuilt the transmission.... I'll be sure to maintain the fluids properly. 200k on the car

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
The recall on the early units solved the issue. Lifespan depends on usage and maintenance. Hopefully you are in for many miles before it needs to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
88 Posts
On my old 2006, the only issue I had was the flashing D. Still drove and shifted fine. Replaced the 3rd and 4th sensors and completed two drain/fills. D still flashed but as often. Don't know if a third drain/fill would have helped. It got totaled before that. 163k on it, just getting broken in, sad day.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Realistically, you've already done most everything you can do short of opening it up to inspect for wear. Now it's just a matter of luck and the previous owner's treatment.

The good news is they don't fail suddenly. Mine went 1,000 miles from the first "whoa, that's no good" to replacement.

That said, I suggest that instead of worrying, make a contingency plan. It's a 16+ year old car; it won't last forever. Whether you do all the work or pay someone else, transmissions are expensive. For me, it was worth doing. Other people just walk away. It's easier to work that out in advance vs. trying to make a decision under pressure.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,264 Posts
The recall on the early units solved the issue. Lifespan depends on usage and maintenance. Hopefully you are in for many miles before it needs to be rebuilt.
Regular maintenance is your friend. I keep doing a Maxlife ATF D&F every second oil change. So far my transmission has never given me the slightest problem and it shifts without flaw.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
186K on our 08 FWD.

* The tranny fluid was OEM until 184K!, It was changed now w/ ML x 3 so far.
All this as preventative only. Still not having problems with it.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I have a 2003 with just checked, 233k miles. oem engine, waterpump, tranny, rotors and thermostat. so it lasts. i change it every other oil change the VTM fluid as well as every 30-40k the tranny oil. so far so good.

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 9 of 9 Posts