Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Currently have a 19 exl have had it since February. I've been getting the oil change every 2500 or so Mike's because maintenance minder pops up for it. I've asked dealer about it because I was told when bought it would be about every 5k or so. They say nothing wrong with car. I do live in Chicago so primary alot of city driving.

Does this seem normal or should I ignore the maintenance minder and ride it out to 5k

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Currently have a 19 exl have had it since February. I've been getting the oil change every 2500 or so Mike's because maintenance minder pops up for it. I do live in Chicago so primary alot of city driving.
Does this seem normal or should I ignore the maintenance minder and ride it out to 5k
Before the maintenance minder was introduced, the oil change intervals were 7,500 miles for "normal" use or 3,750 for "severe" use, such as mainly short trips and/or operation in temperatures above 90F/below 32F.
Are you having the oil changed when the MM alert first appears at 15% oil life remaining, or are you waiting until the oil life reaches 0%.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think oil should be changed every 5-7000 miles regardless of what the minder says. Unless your doing a lot of city driving, in which case you should change it more often.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Usually right when the sensor comes on at 15% or 10 when I can make it in.
If you wait until the oil life reaches 0%, that would extend your oil change interval to about 3,000 miles.
Changing the oil less frequently than indicated by the MM might affect any engine related warranty claims, were that to ever occur in the future.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The best bet for you would be to get a blackstone used oil analysis done on your oil when you get down to 15%. This will give you the best idea of how much life is really left in your oil at the 2500 mile mark. I think we get oil changes about every 6k on our pilot based on MM.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I only put about 4500 miles per year on my Pilot, all city driving. I change once a year as the mm only gets down to about 15% in that time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In the first three months do an oil and filter change even if the maintenance minder doesn’t call for it. You want to get any foreign material and metal shavings from beak-in out of the engine before they can cause any real wear on bearings. Then change again at six months, even if the minder doesn’t call for it. At 6 months, do a transmission fluid change for the same reasons, especially since the automatic transmission doesn’t have a filter. Then at 9 months another oil and filter change, and at 12 months another oil and filter change and transmission fluid change. In the each following year, do one more transmission fluid change even if not requested by the maintenance minder, and do engine oil and filter changes when oil life is no less than 30%. That will give your Pilot (or any Honda) the maximum chance of engine and transmission longevity. Use only Honda ATF and engine oil filters and change the drain plug crush washers every time.

·
Registered
242 Posts
In the first three months do an oil and filter change even if the maintenance minder doesn’t call for it. You want to get any foreign material and metal shavings from beak-in out of the engine before they can cause any real wear on bearings. Then change again at six months, even if the minder doesn’t call for it. At 6 months, do a transmission fluid change for the same reasons, especially since the automatic transmission doesn’t have a filter. Then at 9 months another oil and filter change, and at 12 months another oil and filter change and transmission fluid change. In the each following year, do one more transmission fluid change even if not requested by the maintenance minder, and do engine oil and filter changes when oil life is no less than 30%. That will give your Pilot (or any Honda) the maximum chance of engine and transmission longevity. Use only Honda ATF and engine oil filters and change the drain plug crush washers every time.
I believe in preventative maintenance, but this is way too excessive in my opinion. Following the maintenance minder as Honda has set it up will cover you for any damages. I don't know of any manufacturer that you have to worry about foreign material or metal shavings in an engine anymore. If you wait 3 months to do the first oil change and there is material in the engine, you have already done the damage. Might as well change it as soon as you buy it after the test drive or better yet before the test drive!

Curious if you have ever had any of your removed fluids checked by a reputable labratory to check for wear particles, contamination, break down of the fluids, etc! Also the Pilot does in fact show a transmission fluid filter under the hood on the 3rd generation models with the 6 speed transmission. Not sure if the 9 speed has one there also.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe in preventative maintenance, but this is way too excessive in my opinion. Following the maintenance minder as Honda has set it up will cover you for any damages. I don't know of any manufacturer that you have to worry about foreign material or metal shavings in an engine anymore. If you wait 3 months to do the first oil change and there is material in the engine, you have already done the damage. Might as well change it as soon as you buy it after the test drive or better yet before the test drive!

Curious if you have ever had any of your removed fluids checked by a reputable labratory to check for wear particles, contamination, break down of the fluids, etc! Also the Pilot does in fact show a transmission fluid filter under the hood on the 3rd generation models with the 6 speed transmission. Not sure if the 9 speed has one there also. View attachment 133121
The design of Honda automatic transmissions is much more predisposed to failure of fluid changes aren’t done more frequently than prescribed by Honda. A little fluid is much cheaper than replacing a transmission.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The design of Honda automatic transmissions is much more predisposed to failure of fluid changes aren’t done more frequently than prescribed by Honda. A little fluid is much cheaper than replacing a transmission.
So you are saying Honda or it's transmission manufacturers have built into the unit by design a predisposed failure if Honda recommendations for fluid changes are not done sooner????

Again, I have to ask for you to post any proof you have of your statement regarding transmission failure if the fluid is not changed sooner than Honda recommends! Just like I asked about your fluid replacements at much sooner intervals, have you ever actually had them checked for failure or contamination?

If what you say can be proved instead of just you saying something I would consider that evidence. Perhaps you should bring it to Honda's attention that their maintenance minder is leading to transmission failures and faults.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My MM just informed me I need an oil change and I’m at 6,400 miles. My wife drives a mix of hwy and city, so it makes sense. I drive all hwy in my CRV and do 7,500-8,000 miles max and the MM typically says 30-40%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is a filter on the ZF 9 speed, but it is internal and non-replaceable. But since its a sealed unit, and fluid changes are only required relatively infrequently (there is debate on what that actually is - some say 60k miles/90k km, but it's not in any of the manuals; others say never unless you overheat it as there's no way for contaminants to get in), there is no need to change the filter, it's considered lifetime.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So you are saying Honda or it's transmission manufacturers have built into the unit by design a predisposed failure if Honda recommendations for fluid changes are not done sooner????

Again, I have to ask for you to post any proof you have of your statement regarding transmission failure if the fluid is not changed sooner than Honda recommends! Just like I asked about your fluid replacements at much sooner intervals, have you ever actually had them checked for failure or contamination?

If what you say can be proved instead of just you saying something I would consider that evidence. Perhaps you should bring it to Honda's attention that their maintenance minder is leading to transmission failures and faults.
I speak from personal experience, and f that’s not relevant enough for you, it’s not my problem. Don’t go looking for hidden agendas and expect me to validate your paranoia - I won’t.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Only additional remark I'll add is that I don't have paranoia regarding having to do extra transmission fluid changes sooner than the Honda maintenance minder says to do it. I have no idea what your personal experience was with it but I am sure it was pretty atypical of the normal owner's experiences. Hope your ownership of this vehicle goes better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts