Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a poll button, but couldn't find one. Anyway, I bought a Pilot because I don't have any vehicles w/a 3rd row (currently have a 2-seater, CUV, and a pickup truck). I honestly don't think I will use the 3rd row more than a few times a year. Do most of you use your 3rd row on a regular basis or is everyone else like me?

I ask this because I just found out the CR-V actually has almost as much cargo space as the Pilot, plus gets 40% better gas mileage in city driving (I never use the highway except on long excursions). If you don't need the 3rd row, the CR-V makes a lot of sense. I used to own a 2003 CR-V and loved that thing for its practicality. It probably would've made more sense for me to buy one instead of the Pilot, but my "just in case" mentality drew me to the 3-row Pilot instead.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L, 265-60-18 on Ridgeline rims
369 Posts
Currently 1-2 times per month. That will increase during summer and beach trips with family and friends.

The good thing is that you have the seating to be able to take the kids and friends having to go somewhere.
The bad thing is that you have the seating to be able to take the kids and friends having to go somewhere. :eek:

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
In the Pilot probably 2-3 times a month, in the Traverse every time we take all of the kids since we have captain's chairs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use it everyday. We keep a car seat in the second and third row as we sometimes have to transport 5 people. We keep one side down for the extra cargo room. Works great.

If you have at least four people in your family, then having three rows is great for when friends or relatives visit. If you're only a couple, then three rows is not going to be as useful.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maybe once a month or so. But your cargo size comparison is flawed -- they may have similar cargo space with all seats up, but with the 3rd row down the Pilot has much more, and with all seats down the Pilot has LOTS more space.

Autotrader - page unavailable

That's not to say that the CRV isn't a viable contender, and if I didn't need the Pilot as both a tow vehicle (primary function) and people transporter (secondary) I would have been very tempted by the CRV. But if you want a similar sized vehicle with killer gas mileage (41+ mpg) the RAV4 Hybrid is something to look at -- that's what we have for a second car, and I will set it up for towing my smaller boat if the Pilot is in use as a people mover.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Maybe once a month or so. But your cargo size comparison is flawed -- they may have similar cargo space with all seats up, but with the 3rd row down the Pilot has much more, and with all seats down the Pilot has LOTS more space.

Autotrader - page unavailable

That's not to say that the CRV isn't a viable contender, and if I didn't need the Pilot as both a tow vehicle (primary function) and people transporter (secondary) I would have been very tempted by the CRV. But if you want a similar sized vehicle with killer gas mileage the RAV4 Hybrid is something to look at -- that's what we have for a second car, and I will set it up for towing my smaller boat if the Pilot is in use as a people mover.

Those were my thoughts too when I saw the comparison with the space between the two vehicles. Not even the Passport has the same space that the Pilot has. Maybe he was referring to the space when the seats are all up. Even at that, the Pilot has a slight edge in terms of cubic space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
The space comparison is closer than I thought!

From cars.usnews.com -

Pilot Cargo
The Pilot gives you 16.5 cubic feet of cargo space with all seats in use. Folding down the third-row seats gives you 46.8 cubic feet of space. With the second and third rows folded, you have 83.9 cubic feet.

CR-V Cargo Space
There's 39.2 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats up and 75.8 cubic feet of space when they are folded.

·
Administrator
15,585 Posts
Don't forget the Passport as an option for those of us who like the width, comfort and V6 of the Pilot, but don't need the third row.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The space comparison is closer than I thought!

From cars.usnews.com -

Pilot Cargo

The Pilot gives you 16.5 cubic feet of cargo space with all seats in use. Folding down the third-row seats gives you 46.8 cubic feet of space. With the second and third rows folded, you have 83.9 cubic feet.

CR-V Cargo Space

There's 39.2 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats up and 75.8 cubic feet of space when they are folded.

You are right! Just checked the numbers before reading your post. Was going to post the figures but you’re spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
We traded our '13 CRV in on this '19 Pilot about 3 or so months ago so we could have the ability to lug one or two of my oldest daughter's friends with the rest of us if needed. Used it once so far.

Cargo space comparison is interesting. The floor was much lower in the CRV so at first glance it almost looks as if it has more usable space. That all ended on my first mulch run with the Pilot. Swallowed nine bags plus other crap with no prob. Would have been tight in the CRV. That extra width makes a huge difference.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
Maybe once or twice a year, if that. We also got the bench seat because our dog travels with us most of the time and she has full run of the back and the smaller second row seat which is left down.

The Passport was just starting to hit the dealers inventory when we purchased the Pilot. It would have been a great vehicle for us and our use of the interior seats (or lack of). However, I posted before that the dealers thought the Passport was going to be gold, and no dealer was willing to take more than $500.00 off sticker. The discount on the Pilot Touring AWD was right around $5000.00 off sticker so it was a no brainer IMHO.

Very happy with the Pilot. Now I see big discounts on the Passport and heard a TV or radio (don't remember which) for special financing of 1.9%. Unheard of just a little over two months ago.

·
Registered
415 Posts
i use it a lot and thats why i picked the pilot over the competitors from the japanese brands. if i didnt care about the 3rd row space and usability good chance i got something else.

3rd row in the pilot is actually big enough for longer trips with small to medium size adults back there.

·
Administrator
15,585 Posts
You raise some good points about Pilot v Passport pricing. I like to get value for money and so far price and space wise the Pilot wins.

It's a little off topic (!) but I feel Honda missed the potential Passport market by saddling it with the expensive 9 speed box odd spec and "off road" suspension.
Going to be interesting to watch the sales numbers develop.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,047 Posts
We used the third row maybe once every other month when our kids were smaller and we had to take their friends along. We don’t use it now that they are teenagers. And it’s miserable sitting back there.

That is surprising the CRV has so much cargo space.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’ve used it once in the two months of ownership but the simple possibility of needing it was enough of a reason to own a 3 row SUV for me. The cargo space is not great even with the third row down, but I use a carrier basket attached to the hitch for camping trips when I really need cargo space.

If Honda made a bigger 3 row SUV like a Suburban or Tahoe, then I would have chosen that model instead.

The Pilot looks and feels like a small car to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Almost everyday. We have two kids and a third one coming in July. Currently, the 3rd row is occupied by my 8 and 5 year old kids. A great area for them and their booster seats. Will be putting the baby on on of the captain’s chairs of the second row.

One of the main reasons we bought a Pilot is the size of its 3rd row. Love it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
18 months since purchase and have not used yet. Bought for extra room, AWD, and trip comfort. Wife has Forester and useable room behind 2nd row is significant.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts