Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

How Often Do You Do an Italian Tuneup for your VTEC?

• Every chance I get.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Only when it's safe.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Once in a while, whenever I remember.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • One in a blue moon.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Never, it's useless.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • What's an Italian tuneup?

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • What's VTEC yo?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Use it or lose it, as the saying goes. My limited understanding of VTEC suggests it really gets lubed up only if it engages. Therefore, every once in a while, when accelerating on an on-ramp when there's no other traffic, I'll gun it so VTEC kicks in yo.

Am I only doing it for the Top Gun G's, or is it good to spread the oil around in there?

Vote in the poll yo! :)

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I tend to Italian Tune Up any of my engines a couple times a week. We have plenty of 50 and 55 mph local roads around here, when I get the chance when there isn't anyone in front of me I let it rip through at least 2 gears.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
You don't have my choice on the poll so I will explain it here. Never, but not that it is useless, but it is harder on the vehicle than a good clean out service. My vehicles, the ones out of warranty, get a BG treatment every 30K+/- miles. It's not a little bottle pour it in the intake thing, it is a hook the machine up to the vehicle and let it go. I generally do this about the same time as when I do regular service, however, since the BG service runs around $150 -$200 I do it when BG asks for my vehicle.

BG is a local company and several years ago the put me on their free service list. When potential new customers, corporations etc., are there looking at the product or they are training technicians they need vehicles. They call a couple of days ahead, come get the vehicle, keep it a couple of hours and then return it after the hands on training, ie. service was done. So its done on their schedule not mine. Hey free is free and it does a damn good job cleaning the internals of the engine.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Italian Tune up?

Yo, Toe-knee! youz and Guido tune this thing up, Kapeesh?

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The term originates not so much from a Tony or a Guido performing it, than from the fact that foppish posers who would buy high-end Italian sports cars, like Ferraris, Maseratis, Bugattis or Lambos, would rarely drive them for anything much more than the occasional curbside crawl to impress the ladies, and this lack of "exercise" would lead to carbon buildup. To burn off that carbon, their mechanics would rev the engines a lot and/or take them out around the track at high RPMs, then charge their clueless owners so much that if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
The term originates not so much from a Tony or a Guido performing it, than from the fact that foppish posers who would buy high-end Italian sports cars, like Ferraris, Maseratis, Bugattis or Lambos, would rarely drive them for anything much more than the occasional curbside crawl to impress the ladies, and this lack of "exercise" would lead to carbon buildup. To burn off that carbon, their mechanics would rev the engines a lot and/or take them out around the track at high RPMs, then charge their clueless owners so much that if you have to ask, you can't afford it.
Where's @dr bob when we need a proper history lesson!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
Back in the old days of carbonated engines a gallon of diesel mixed into 10 gallons of gasoline worked well to burn off deposits. Diesel has a much higher BTU output, 137,000+ BTU's vs gasolines barely 120,000 BTU's. I used to do this about every six months. The turnpike speed limit was 80mph back then. Usually about 20 minutes into a sustained drive at 80 there would be a instantaneous shudder an a ball of black smoke would emit from the exhaust pipes.

Diesel however is thicker than gasoline so I would definitely not try this in a modern fuel injected engine.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Back in the old days of carbonated engines a gallon of diesel mixed into 10 gallons of gasoline worked well to burn off deposits. Diesel has a much higher BTU output, 137,000+ BTU's vs gasolines barely 120,000 BTU's. I used to do this about every six months. The turnpike speed limit was 80mph back then. Usually about 20 minutes into a sustained drive at 80 there would be a instantaneous shudder an a ball of black smoke would emit from the exhaust pipes.

Diesel however is thicker than gasoline so I would definitely not try this in a modern fuel injected engine.
Diesel is 'less bouyant'? Thicker, right?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I thought this technique was more about increased sustained temperatures. So not necessarily short bursts of high rpm, but sustaining 3.5-4k RPMs for a long period of time, like 20 minutes, to really let the engine heat up and give it a chance to burn off some carbon. I don't really know $%!& from shinola when it comes to removing carbon though.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
517 Posts
You don't have my choice on the poll so I will explain it here. Never, but not that it is useless, but it is harder on the vehicle than a good clean out service. My vehicles, the ones out of warranty, get a BG treatment every 30K+/- miles. It's not a little bottle pour it in the intake thing, it is a hook the machine up to the vehicle and let it go. I generally do this about the same time as when I do regular service, however, since the BG service runs around $150 -$200 I do it when BG asks for my vehicle.

BG is a local company and several years ago the put me on their free service list. When potential new customers, corporations etc., are there looking at the product or they are training technicians they need vehicles. They call a couple of days ahead, come get the vehicle, keep it a couple of hours and then return it after the hands on training, ie. service was done. So its done on their schedule not mine. Hey free is free and it does a damn good job cleaning the internals of the engine.
One of my first experiences with BG was when mechanic used it to "de-carbonize" my Ford Explorer. It got rid of my pre-ignition PING and the before/after borescope showed significant cleanup. I now use BG44k on a decently regular basis that helped in other vehicles with power and fuel economy that didn't have the full treatment. I'm also planning on doing the BG EPR in my higher mileage vehicles to help clean out the rings some. If VW uses it for their stuck ring oil burners, I figure it needs to do a pretty good job at cleaning up.

I never noticed a difference with Techron and others, thought I was just maintaining clean UNTIL I used BG 44k.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts