Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a general survery. How often are you folks going to put your car through a car wash (hopefully toucheless) now that the salt and grime and snow are here?

also, is there any major problem with the standard "underbody " blasts of high pressure used by many carwash places on the pilot's undercarriage? i mean with all those awd sensors and cables, i'm worried that an underbody blast at a standard carwash could dislodge something.

thanks

·
Registered
698 Posts
Re: sorry, I meant WASHING

jhelum7 said:
wasking supposed to be washing
I thought it was kind of clever how you combined washing AND waxing. :)

Nice to meet ya,
CopperPoppy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah, I was kind of thinking those same questions myself, I'll look for replies.

·
Registered
385 Posts
In winter, I wash (at home) whenever weather (temp) permits. Not sure how valid the info is, but I've been told that the automatic washes (in this part of country anyway) recycle lots of the water they use. Thus, especially in winter, there is a heavy salt content in the water being used to wash car. I don't like the idea of pressure washing with salt water.
Automatic washes are always the absolute last resort IMHO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you really love the Pilot, you'd freeze if you had to ;) . Or spend the 20 bucks or so and go to a full service car wash.

Another option is www.protectall.com . It's a car wash that does not require bringing out the hose. I've heard a lot of great things about it. These guys ( www.autopia.org ) are serious detailers and those that have used it can vouch for it. I haven't tried it, but have heard that the stuff can be found at a good camping store. I'm giving it a shot this winter.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm finding I need to wash the Pilot more frequently than my previous cars. The SS paint does not show the dirt much, but the back hatch & window attract a lot of dust that builds up and looks bad. The side steps get dirty quickly, and of course the windshield washers leave blue spots on my hood if I use them. I'm finding that once a weeks isn't enough.

I run my Pilot through a high quality car wash with wheel bright and under-body wash. I usually run a towel over it after I exit the wash to minimize water spots. The wash does a good job on the back hatch, side steps, & wheels.

I know many will argue that hand washing will do less long-term paint damage, but I don't have the time or interest in doing it - especially during the winter months. I'm planning to keep the salt off as best I can and wax twice a year to protect the paint.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I used the ProtectAll Quick and Easy wash last night in my garage and I was very impressed. You simply add a capful or two of the wash in a bucket and go to work. What I did was simply do one section at and time and wipe down with a chamois. I would recommend using two buckets…one to rinse your sponge and one with the product added. It cuts down on the dirt you are putting back on the car. I was super skeptical before using the product, but it works very, very well. I would highly recommend it for anyone who does not want to take their Pilot through the old scratch and wash. Last night it was 15 degrees outside, but a very comfortable 34 degrees in my garage. I simply closed the garage door and went to work. You hardly use any water at all. It makes virtually no mess. The first is the product link and the second is where I ordred it from. Let us know what you guys think!!!

http://www.protectall.com/qelg.htm

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?prodID=1545&src=SRCH&tcode=37

·
Registered
168 Posts
For the people that don't like automated washes, I am sure you will cringe at this, BUT..............................We offer free automated car washes for the life of ownership of the vehicle if purchased with us. SO, I wash mine several times weekly!

I look at it like this, all those years driving in winter with a dirty vehicle, cursing the guy next to me with the pretty, clean car/truck. Now, I get to be the guy you curse while driving down the road!

·
Registered
388 Posts
tougchless the only way to go....frequncy whenever it is above 35 degrees to avoid freezing problems and as often as needed to keep the salt off of my baby

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'll be looking for another touchless. The one with just the sprayers. I'm not sure how they figured it but I had gone to one a few years back (South of Baltimore)that said it was touchless but once inside there were the cloth cleaners. I guess no one raised a hand to touch it. Other than that whenever it gets above 45 in the sun I'll be getting it. Maybe once a month (oh my!) for a full wash and probably weekly spraying off road salt, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts