Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'll soon be getting a hand-me-down '08 Pilot from my father that I will want to upgrade the head unit in. I was wondering how much of a pain in the arse would it be if I were to tackle this on my own? I am looking at a double DIN Pioneer head unit to replace the factory EX-L non navigation radio. I will be adding the steering wheel module as well to keep those controls working...

Also, another question, will the factory subwoofer remain working after swapping head unit or no?

Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Hi All,

I'll soon be getting a hand-me-down '08 Pilot from my father that I will want to upgrade the head unit in. I was wondering how much of a pain in the arse would it be if I were to tackle this on my own? I am looking at a double DIN Pioneer head unit to replace the factory EX-L non navigation radio. I will be adding the steering wheel module as well to keep those controls working...

Also, another question, will the factory subwoofer remain working after swapping head unit or no?

Thanks
Install should be relatively easy if you get all the proper wiring harnesses to splice together with the one that comes with the Panasonic (I'm thinking i'm going to get the AVH-4500NEX). Probably doesn't take more than 5 minutes to remove all the trim and gain access to the screws/bolts that hold in the factory stereo. In regards to the subwoofer, it will need it's own dedicated amp, the factory deck has one built in specifically for it at 2ohm.

I have an 08 EX-L, and to have something "stealth" and not too crazy, would probably hide this Alpine BBX-T600 in the headrest compartment, and then replace the factory sub with a Infinity REF1000S (which is designed for open-air / infinite-baffle situations) and run it at 4ohm.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
^^^^ He's right about losing the subwoofer, so if you want one you'll in all probability need to add a dedicated amp.

Removing the trim isn't too hard IF you know how to go about it on this model year. This video should save you a lot of hassle, cuss words, gouges and broken clips.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
Plenty of great threads in the audio section

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,836 Posts
If you buy from Crutchfield you’ll get the necessary harnesses plus a really good set of instructions specific to your Pilot.
Replacing the stereo isn’t too bad of a job if you have basic electrical and mechanical skills.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
694 Posts
On 2008, it is quite easy, but yes, you will lose the sub unless you provide a separate amp for it. Factory sub is only 50W/2Ohm, so if you want to keep that, you can just get a real small mono amp that can likely be on same power line as head unit, and installed somewhere in the dash close to head unit.
I.e. Amazon.com: Nobsound NS-03G Subwoofer Amplifier 100W Mini Sub Power Amp (Black): Electronics
On audio unit, 14P connector B is next to main 24P connector, and its pins 1 (white/green)) is +, pin 8 (black/white) is -, are the ones going to the sub.
Since this is not a dedicated automotive amp, you also need a relay for it.
Something like: Amazon.com: 4-PIN 40/30 AMP 12 V DC Waterproof Relay with Harness - Heavy Duty 12 AWG Tinned Copper Wires, 1 Pack SPST Bosch Style Automotive Relay: Industrial & Scientific
Inputs 85 and 86 are ground and "+12V Amp remote" from the head, input 30 is constant battery power, and 87 goes to DC + on the amp.

Another option is to upgrade your sub - which is what I did on my old 2007' EX. I got a 10" shallow mount Pioneer sub, I think it was 350W, and I got a Boss mono amp for it, mounted under passenger front seat.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2008, it is quite easy, but yes, you will lose the sub unless you provide a separate amp for it. Factory sub is only 50W/2Ohm, so if you want to keep that, you can just get a real small mono amp that can likely be on same power line as head unit, and installed somewhere in the dash close to head unit.
I.e. Amazon.com: Nobsound NS-03G Subwoofer Amplifier 100W Mini Sub Power Amp (Black): Electronics
On audio unit, 14P connector B is next to main 24P connector, and its pins 1 (white/green)) is +, pin 8 (black/white) is -, are the ones going to the sub.
Since this is not a dedicated automotive amp, you also need a relay for it.
Something like: Amazon.com: 4-PIN 40/30 AMP 12 V DC Waterproof Relay with Harness - Heavy Duty 12 AWG Tinned Copper Wires, 1 Pack SPST Bosch Style Automotive Relay: Industrial & Scientific
Inputs 85 and 86 are ground and "+12V Amp remote" from the head, input 30 is constant battery power, and 87 goes to DC + on the amp.

Another option is to upgrade your sub - which is what I did on my old 2007' EX. I got a 10" shallow mount Pioneer sub, I think it was 350W, and I got a Boss mono amp for it, mounted under passenger front seat.
Can you tell me a bit more about powering the sub in the back? I'm pretty green when it comes to this and if you have any diagrams or can elaborate in detail any further as to how I would have it wired up it would be much appreciated! The head unit I will be getting will most likely be the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
The AVH-W4500NEX has Pre-amp output for the sub per the Installation Manual. You'd just use a RCA to headphone adapter to input to that amplifier he linked, then you'd connect the subwoofer's speaker wires into the terminals. As for power, you'll need to pull at least 12V from somewhere (ideally independently fused and connected directly to the battery), and adapt a properly sized barrel connector to it.

EDIT: However, that amp doesn't have an auto-on feature / use a remote wire, so you'd have to remember to either power it off manually, or install a relay in-line with it's power/ground wire.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you that clears it up a bit but I'm not sure if I want to tackle that by myself. I had an 05 before and had the head unit professionally installed and I doubt they rewired the sub back up... I thought it sounded fine without it to be honest.

Next thing I am concerned about is wiring up the mic for calls... When I had it installed in my 05 it was placed perfectly above the rear view mirror. How exactly did they route the wire up there? Did they need to pull the panel that is between the driver window and windshield?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Thank you that clears it up a bit but I'm not sure if I want to tackle that by myself. I had an 05 before and had the head unit professionally installed and I doubt they rewired the sub back up... I thought it sounded fine without it to be honest.

Next thing I am concerned about is wiring up the mic for calls... When I had it installed in my 05 it was placed perfectly above the rear view mirror. How exactly did they route the wire up there? Did they need to pull the panel that is between the driver window and windshield?
From what I've seen, you can run the Mic wire up the driver or passenger A Pillar, it just slides/tucks behind the plastic panel, I'm not sure removal is required at all.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
If your going to keep the factory woofer, your best/easiest option is to probably get an Alpine KTP-190U which if you search around can get for $100, and you should be able to stuff it behind the head unit / tie into the factory harness. If it was me, and was already going to the lengths to add a dedicated & fused wire directly to the battery, might as well upgrade the factory "woofer" to an actual "subwoofer" that can "get low" 😁

The setup I initially linked is only about $250 after you get the wiring need, and should definitely give you some more oomph over the factory one. I'm thinking when I do the wife's, gonna put a baffle behind the woofer (with a hole cut out of it to act as a port).

·
Registered
694 Posts
Factory sub is a rather wimpy "50W" affair, powered directly by a head unit that is fed by a 15A circuit - which it shares with accessory outlet. So it really can only put out about 200W total for the entire system: door speakers AND sub.
An aftermarket head in your 2005 likely distributed all its available power to door speakers. You may have lost out a bit of response in the lows, but depending on what you listen to, that may or may not be noticeable.
Same with 2008. And if you say, upgrade your factory speakers to something better, that offers a wider frequency response, you might end up not missing the factory sub at all.

If you just want to be able to utilize OEM sub on the cheap, then my original post is likely the best suggestion. Wiring would be pretty easy, actually.
If you want quality bass, get a 10 inch shallow-mount sub in 250-350W range, and a matching mono amp for it.
If you want overall high-quality sound, you should be looking at multichannel amps. I am using a 600W (75x4 + 300) Rockford Fosgate in my '2013.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The AVH-W4500NEX has Pre-amp output for the sub per the Installation Manual. You'd just use a RCA to headphone adapter to input to that amplifier he linked, then you'd connect the subwoofer's speaker wires into the terminals. As for power, you'll need to pull at least 12V from somewhere (ideally independently fused and connected directly to the battery), and adapt a properly sized barrel connector to it.

EDIT: However, that amp doesn't have an auto-on feature / use a remote wire, so you'd have to remember to either power it off manually, or install a relay in-line with it's power/ground wire.
If we tap the ACC wire going to the HU to power the sub do we still need a relay? Won’t it only power up when the car is on or in accessory position?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
If we tap the ACC wire going to the HU to power the sub do we still need a relay? Won’t it only power up when the car is on or in accessory position?
Depends upon how much power the AMP requires. The radio circuit fuse is only 10A on most vehicles, which the radio, the cigarette lighter socket (and likely your phone charger), and possibly a few more things run off as well. So yes, I'd advise using a relay to power any additional amps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Depends upon how much power the AMP requires. The radio circuit fuse is only 10A on most vehicles, which the radio, the cigarette lighter socket (and likely your phone charger), and possibly a few more things run off as well. So yes, I'd advise using a relay to power any additional amps.
Thanks, yeah I meant use the acc wire to power the little amp for the sub. You had mentioned that it doesn’t have auto-on/off so I was wondering if using the acc wire to power it would work in that regards.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
I would rather tap the accessory socket wire.
Would that work without needing the relay? Sry, diy noob here trying to get everything planned out and the whole relay thing wasn’t something I’d planned for.
I'd recommend using a multi-meter to see what the current draw is on that circuit with everything on, then measure the device running directly if possible. That will determine if you have headroom to run it on the appropriate circuit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all just just joined recently, was wondering if the poster ever followed through and how did everything work out? I have a 2008 se (I know, different set up) that I'm looking to mess around with here soon. So just wondering how it worked out. Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey all just just joined recently, was wondering if the poster ever followed through and how did everything work out? I have a 2008 se (I know, different set up) that I'm looking to mess around with here soon. So just wondering how it worked out. Thanks
Howdy! I did get the radio replaced but I didn't end up doing it myself. When I ordered everything from Best Buy it said that installation was free, so I thought why not, and had them take care of it. Everything came out great. I ended up getting the dmh-w4660nex head unit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts