Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks:
I am interested in knowing how much you guys paid for the 7500 service in the SF Bay Area. I am in the south bay and have quotes from Los Gatos Honda for $189 for Oil Change, Filter, inpections of brakes, etc and then for $110 from Stevens Creek Honda.
This is obviously much higher than what i have read in the past.
Please advise.
TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Vaibhav said:
Hi Folks:
I am interested in knowing how much you guys paid for the 7500 service in the SF Bay Area. I am in the south bay and have quotes from Los Gatos Honda for $189 for Oil Change, Filter, inpections of brakes, etc and then for $110 from Stevens Creek Honda.
This is obviously much higher than what i have read in the past.
Please advise.
TIA
Don't know the price, but I dealt with both dealers and felt Stevens Creek was much more honest and reputable and ended up buying my Pilot there. Ask for Jim Walsh or Tai Cai for help. They are pretty flexible and accomodating.

Please tell me how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no other experiences that i can leverage upon in the bay area? C'mon guys there's got to be a few...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
I paid $26.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Vaibhav said:
no other experiences that i can leverage upon in the bay area? C'mon guys there's got to be a few...
I replied to your PM.

Walnut Creek and Concord dealerships both charge $79.95 for their 7500mi. service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
03pilot said:


I replied to your PM.

Walnut Creek and Concord dealerships both charge $79.95 for their 7500mi. service.
is'nt that just the oil change and tire rotation? Thats a lot of money for those two things :3: ...(but I guess its the bay area)
 

·
Admin Du Jour ®
Joined
·
989 Posts
Keep in mind that what the owner's manual says is 7500 service and what the dealer has on its menu for 7500 service may be entirely different. The problem is that when we ask for an x-mile service, we mean the one called out in the manual. They choose to interpret the request as *their* x-mile service. Not the same.

For example, Acura Concord adds the following not-in-the-owners-manual items to its periodic maintenance schedules:

injector cleaner ($9.50)
oil conditioner ($8.50)
windshield washer fluid ($1.95)

Just call and ask, specifically, for the items you want done. IIRC, Walnut Creek Honda charges either $19.95 or $24.95 for a basic oil change. Maybe an extra $20 or $25 for a tire rotation.

IOW, there's something else they've added to the 7500 that you don't "need". I think many dealers do this. Our Lexus dealer managed to hit me for $65 in tranny parts (fluid, filter, gasket) when they changed the LIFETIME tranny fluid during a 15k service. Their washer fluid appears to be superior to Acura's, though, as it's $2.49.

You get the idea. And, yes, I learned the hard way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
ramirami said:


is'nt that just the oil change and tire rotation? Thats a lot of money for those two things :3: ...(but I guess its the bay area)
I'm taking mine in for the first service (at 4,000 miles, didn't want to wait for 7,500). Per the coupon the dealership sent me, it's $19.95 and covers oil/filter change plus "free 19-point inspection."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
1st. maintence

I had a coupon too, for $21.95 to do 1st. maintence. I took the pilot in at 6,000 miles+ and the man there said “It is time to do the 7,500 miles service and it will cost $79.95”.
“But this coupon says $21.95 and ….”. I said. That man wasn’t too happy when I told him I didn’t want the “extra tire/wheel rotations” for the additional money. I could see it in his face.
Then, the receipt came with another coupon to do the next service for $21.95. To avoid another “encounter of this undesirable kind”, I went back to the dealership at about 14,000 miles and bought VTM fluid, crush washers, pump for VTM fluid, filter, Torque Wrench (Sears) & Castrol GTX W5-20 (walmart) and changed everything myself. By the way the used VTM fluid has a terrible smell and I nearly threw out everything from my stomach.
:2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
Ziploc said:


I'm taking mine in for the first service (at 4,000 miles, didn't want to wait for 7,500). Per the coupon the dealership sent me, it's $19.95 and covers oil/filter change plus "free 19-point inspection."
My recollection was that the Pilot arrives with a special break-in oil. I was encouraged to wait for the 7,500 mile mark before changing the oil. Can anyone else confirm this?

BTW, with only 1,500 mi on my Pilot in almost 4 months, sorry, but I can't provide any feedback on cost of first service. But two points:

1 - agree with other posts that you only need to perform the required service. Be careful of the dealer add ons when you say "7,500 mile service". Be sure you clearly set forth the scope of the desired service, ie, oil change and tire rotation.

2 - on the extended warranty, I thought that dealerships cannot force you to go to use their service department - that's in violation of anti-tying laws. You must, however, have the service performed at an authorized shop and any honda dealership would qualify - so shop around for the service AND check the dealership web sites for service coupons AND save your service records.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
sfhondapilot said:


My recollection was that the Pilot arrives with a special break-in oil. I was encouraged to wait for the 7,500 mile mark before changing the oil. Can anyone else confirm this?

If anyone is sure of the answer to the above, please jump in. I have an appt. scheduled and would need to cancel it!

P.S. Not that this necessarily means much, but it was the dealership itself that sent me the $19.95 coupon suggesting that "many Pilot customers choose to follow the Severe maintenance schedule and not wait until the 7,500 mile mark" to bring in their vehicles for the first oil change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Ziploc said:


If anyone is sure of the answer to the above, please jump in. I have an appt. scheduled and would need to cancel it!

P.S. Not that this necessarily means much, but it was the dealership itself that sent me the $19.95 coupon suggesting that "many Pilot customers choose to follow the Severe maintenance schedule and not wait until the 7,500 mile mark" to bring in their vehicles for the first oil change.
Dealer never told us about any "break-in oil". I used that stuff on my old Camaro when I broke in a new engine, but that's old school technology.

I was planning on following the "severe conditions" schedule (3750mi) because I do a lot of stop and go driving and short trips in it, as well our summers get over 90F.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Break-in oil

According to Tim in a post from last summer that I recalled from an earlier debate of this issue: "From what I've been told by reps from Honda, the initial oil contains a greater amount of molybdenum disulfide (moly) to assist engine break-in. My advice is to wait until the 7500 for the first change, and then go with a 3,000 mile interval."

I'm went with that and waited until 7500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Re: Break-in oil

From Honda OwnerLink (FWIW):

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
East Bay recommendation

The folks at Walnut Creek AutoPros specialize in Honda/Acura, treat you right (ethically), are reasonably priced, and do a great job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Re: Re: Break-in oil

hop23 said:
From Honda OwnerLink (FWIW):

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.
Wow, thanks for posting that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Hey folks,

I paid $28 bucks!

Don't believe a word of the nonsense the Honda Service Advisor person says. It's NOTHING more than an oil change at 7500 mi. Anything else you choose is extra maintanence and then if you think you need it. Otherwise, it's just a pure and simple $160 of extra profit for them to MOSTLY "check" this and "inspect" that.

"Check" and "Inspect" are the terms calling for a technician to eyeball it, look at it scratch head and move on, nothing more.

If you really ask what's different about the $180+ service vs. the "normal" $19 - $28 coupon service, it typically adds two "real" items: rear differential oil change, and a tire rotation.

The one I dealt with said they would NOT reset the service light unless I paid for their "severe service" at $189. I told them (dared them was more like it) to put that in writing on my service order. They didn't and the service light was reset "because they were being extra considerate to me."

What total BS. What--all this just because my wife drive the car into the service bay and they thought they could take advantage of another uninformed Pilot owner???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Vsinaniyev,

Were you inquiring about miles driven? Wh have over 8000 miles on the Pilot.

Or did you mean gas mileage? We get 18-20 mixed city/freeway, 21-22 freeway only (at 70-80mph).

Hope this helps.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top