·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Coolant capacity is about 8L or a little over 2 US Gal so you would need 1 Gal of concentrated type2 antifreeze and the same amount of distilled water for a 50/50 mix. I would purchase 2 gal jugs of antifreeze so that I have some extra to top off in the future. Don't use tap water for dilution.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,321 Posts
From a 3rd Gen manual.(2017)

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Depends on your flush method.
Easy way would be to do a 3 time radiator drain and fill. Drive a few miles in between to mix old antifreeze with new. I'd buy 4 gallons of 50/50.
Me being EL Cheapo..., I flush the entire system with 99¢ distilled water 3 maybe 4 times depending on how bad my OCDs are in getting all the old fluid out (heater on high). After the last drain, I pour in 1 gal of Preston Concentrate and top off with Distilled water. Costs me under $15 to do it this way. 3 hour job.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
I searched the manual but see no mention about the radiator capacity or how much coolant to use and I don't see it on the radiator cap or anywhere.

How much coolant will I need to do a flush? What is the radiator capacity?

Can I use this stuff?

If your going to follow the HONDA specified drain and fill procedure - 2 US Gal. Of 50/50 premix (of course if you need 60/40 mix to you’ll need to by the concentrate). Buy either OEM Honda Type 2, or for Asian Vehicles (aftermarket).

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
If your going to follow the HONDA specified drain and fill procedure - 2 US Gal. Of 50/50 premix (of course if you need 60/40 mix to you’ll need to by the concentrate). Buy either OEM Honda Type 2, or for Asian Vehicles (aftermarket).
Good point on the 60/40. The EL Cheapo method would be to buy 2 gallons of Prestone Concentrate and fill radiator and overflow bottle without topping off with distilled. (after following steps in post #4) You could always buy a cheap antifreeze tester to get it perfect.

Reactions: zmarke01

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
Good point on the 60/40. The EL Cheapo method would be to buy 2 gallons of Prestone Concentrate and fill radiator and overflow bottle without topping off with distilled.
Good point on the 60/40. The EL Cheapo method would be to buy 2 gallons of Prestone Concentrate and fill radiator and overflow bottle without topping off with distilled. You could always buy a cheap antifreeze tester to get it perfect.
Which PRESTONE do you use? The Asian Specific (Blue) or All-Vehicle ‘generic’?

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Which PRESTONE do you use? The Asian Specific (Blue) or All-Vehicle ‘generic’?
I just use the Multi Vehicle.
Do they have a Asian concentrate?

Reactions: zmarke01

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
I just use the Multi Vehicle.
Do they have a Asian concentrate?
Ah yes, no Asian spec concentrate that I have seen, just the standard pre-mix 50/50. Yea definitely wouldn’t be able to use the Asian spec pre-mix 50/50 if you wanna bump up to 60/40. Curious what the main difference(s) of the PRESTONE Asian 50/50 and All-Vehicle 50/50 premixed are.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Ah yes, no Asian spec concentrate that I have seen, just the standard pre-mix 50/50. Yea definitely wouldn’t be able to use the Asian spec pre-mix 50/50 if you wanna bump up to 60/40. Curious what the main difference(s) of the PRESTONE Asian 50/50 and All-Vehicle 50/50 premixed are.
Seem to remember a formulation call HOAT and OAT, That may be old info. But it is a challenge to flush a cooling system completely using 50/50. It would be wasteful like when doing a 3 time drain and fill of the ATF. I read some place that if you wanted blue coloring, you could use BMW blue concentrate. Toyota red concentrate was said to be ok to use in a Honda. 😳 I've been running Prestone Concentrate in all my vehicles for years. That includes Honda, Hyundai and Nissan.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
Ah yea HOAT vs. OAT, I don’t think your far if at all off. Certainly would make sense. Yea true, getting 100% fluid is tricky like that, but drawing the radiator & “system” then drain the engine block should give you a fairly high percentage of the coolant out. Guess good rationale to do it more frequently and maybe while not get 100% out, still good amount replaced.

Hum I guess if needed for 60/40 why not just get the OEM a Honda concentrate? Granted I like minimizing what I have to order via the dealer. I would be more inclined to think Toyota red would be more similar to Honda blue, than use European (teal vs. blue), but ultimately comes down to the chemical make up (ie., as you pointed out HOAT, OAT,etc..).

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
Seem to remember a formulation call HOAT and OAT, That may be old info. But it is a challenge to flush a cooling system completely using 50/50. It would be wasteful like when doing a 3 time drain and fill of the ATF. I read some place that if you wanted blue coloring, you could use BMW blue concentrate. Toyota red concentrate was said to be ok to use in a Honda. 😳 I've been running Prestone Concentrate in all my vehicles for years. That includes Honda, Hyundai and Nissan.
And of course, the all-vehicle PRESTONE is also as you indicate a good option.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,051 Posts
Honda genuine coolant is similar price.

I'd use that.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Honda genuine coolant is similar price.

I'd use that.
The dealership is $18 for 50/50.
Prestone Concentrate is $10.87 for full strength at Wal-Mart. I'm just having a tough time paying $9.00 for a half gallon of water at the stealership.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have used Prestone for years in all my vehicles including GM's which use the Dexcool formula. You can always add a little food colouring if you like that blue😉

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
I have used Prestone for years in all my vehicles including GM's which use the Dexcool formula. You can always add a little food colouring if you like that blue😉
I like the green, but you sure take a lot of heat for not being OEM blue.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,051 Posts
i helped take apart a Ram 6.4 Hemi a few weeks ago to diagnose issues it had, including overheating.
There are many many specifications of of coolant. Many are incompatible with each other. As we saw in this engine, it had been filled or topped up with the wrong coolant.
The result was sludge filling the galleys where the coolant should be flowing caused by incompatible coolants bing mixed together.

·
Registered
857 Posts
i helped take apart a Ram 6.4 Hemi a few weeks ago to diagnose issues it had, including overheating.
There are many many specifications of of coolant. Many are incompatible with each other. As we saw in this engine, it had been filled or topped up with the wrong coolant.
The result was sludge filling the galleys where the coolant should be flowing caused by incompatible coolants bing mixed together.
Coolants are mostly Ethylene glycol but the additives in the specific formulations can cause problems if mixed. Also some people use tap water which will cause a lot of scale and sludge to form. I know if you mix dexcool with regular antifreeze, it will turn to gel. You just have make sure that you use one that is compatible with aluminum in Honda engines. I do like Nailgrease's method of flushing the system with distilled water several times and then topping off with a gal or so of concentrated Prestone to get the 50/50 or 60/40 blend. No danger of the old additives messing things up.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
As far as Honda blue coolant goes, it's good stuff. It does a great job for thousands of miles and many years. But it's not like you can not find other good coolant that work well in aluminum block engines (OAT, HOAT). Prestone claims that you can add their multi vehicle coolant to any color. I've never tried. The greatest mistake ever made is grabbing the garden hose and shoving it into your radiator. The minerals in tap water will begin to oxidize metal internally. The thermostat will eventually fail.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts