Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L 264k miles (RIP)
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving to Florida from Minnesota right now. Want to get it done while I'm down there along with my passenger airbag recall. I'm assuming 7-900?

TIA

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Driving to Florida from Minnesota right now. Want to get it done while I'm down there along with my passenger airbag recall. I'm assuming 7-900?

TIA
As high as $1200. Some want to charge you for a power steering pump job because a line must be disconected to get it out of the way. Just call around first. $700 would be low.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,403 Posts
It totally depends. Where you go and what they do. Some dealers won't replace the water pump or tensioner. Some dealers include the power steering pump as part of their service. Is there a particular reason you want to have it done in Florida?
I have a great local mechanic who does awesome work and is super honest. My Pilot is having its timing belt service done right now and I will be paying about $1,100 for everything. My local dealer has a special where they'll do the timing belt, water pump and drive belt for $800, BUT the tensioner will add about $400 plus fees and tax. So just call around. Also budget that they may find something else that will need to be repaired as well.

·
Registered
306 Posts
For the typical job involving belt, water pump, tensioner and serpentine belt, most dealers "list" price is around $1200-$1400 all up. But they often run "specials" and knock off a hundred or two. Occasionally, you'll see a dealer doing it for sub-$800 but I bet the cut corners and use the absolutely cheapest kit they can find. Independent mechanics charge somewhat less, but here the risk of a screwup is higher so shop by reputation, not by price. I wouldn't use a random low-cost independent mechanic that I happen to chance across on a trip.

Since spark plugs and a valve adjustment are due at the same time as the timing belt, often these services are combined. And you may want to change the coolant or even replace the radiator if the mileage is high.

Is there some overriding reason you want to do this while on a trip? Occasionally things go sideways and you could be in a situation where you have a broken car in a strange city with no way to get around and no way to get home. If you're overdue, the risk of driving it round trip back home is only slightly higher than the risk of driving it one-way.

- Mark

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
It totally depends. Where you go and what they do. Some dealers won't replace the water pump or tensioner. Some dealers include the power steering pump as part of their service. Is there a particular reason you want to have it done in Florida?
I have a great local mechanic who does awesome work and is super honest. My Pilot is having its timing belt service done right now and I will be paying about $1,100 for everything. My local dealer has a special where they'll do the timing belt, water pump and drive belt for $800, BUT the tensioner will add about $400 plus fees and tax. So just call around. Also budget that they may find something else that will need to be repaired as well.
Oh wow, I didn't know that some shops don't replace the tensioner. That's a no go for me. That's why I like the Aisin kit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

TIA
For the typical job involving belt, water pump, tensioner and serpentine belt, most dealers "list" price is around $1200-$1400 all up. But they often run "specials" and knock off a hundred or two. Occasionally, you'll see a dealer doing it for sub-$800 but I bet the cut corners and use the absolutely cheapest kit they can find. Independent mechanics charge somewhat less, but here the risk of a screwup is higher so shop by reputation, not by price. I wouldn't use a random low-cost independent mechanic that I happen to chance across on a trip.

Since spark plugs and a valve adjustment are due at the same time as the timing belt, often these services are combined. And you may want to change the coolant or even replace the radiator if the mileage is high.

Is there some overriding reason you want to do this while on a trip? Occasionally things go sideways and you could be in a situation where you have a broken car in a strange city with no way to get around and no way to get home. If you're overdue, the risk of driving it round trip back home is only slightly higher than the risk of driving it one-way.

- Mark
NW Florida is my home, visiting for a couple weeks and I know there's loads of Honda shops down there. Figured I'd play it safe and use certified Honda boys. I redid the front end, plugs, power steering and several other things within the last year on my own. I'm not sure the timing has been done for the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,835 Posts
Personally I would use a local shop/dealer to perform the work. Since you’re already on your road trip, just wait until you get back at least for the timing belt job.

In my area timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, tensioner, and coolant runs about $1200 at the Honda dealer. Shop rate is $170 per hour for comparison purposes.

This, and the valve adjustment, are two of the few jobs I only trust a dealer to do since they work on these engines all the time.

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
NW Florida is my home, visiting for a couple weeks and I know there's loads of Honda shops down there. Figured I'd play it safe and use certified Honda boys. I redid the front end, plugs, power steering and several other things within the last year on my own. I'm not sure the timing has been done for the life of the vehicle.
As others have said...
It's important that all parts involved are replaced. Water pump, timing belt, timing belt idler pulley and tensioner. It's a great time to have all the old antifreeze replaced, drain radiator, serpentine belt and tensioner if needed. The brand of parts used is important, so ask who ever is doing the job. Dealerships have used after market parts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Plan your trip through NJ and visit Hamilton Honda, east of Trenton. $650 for timing belt, water pump and all drive belts with genuine Honda parts. Tensioner extra

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Oh wow, I didn't know that some shops don't replace the tensioner. That's a no go for me. That's why I like the Aisin kit.
It's not so much that some dealers/shops don't replace the tensioner (and water pump), it's that they leave it as an option so that they can advertise a lowball price for the timing belt job. Actually go to the dealer/shop and you'll probably be told that they "highly recommend" replacing the tensioner (and water pump) for an extra $$$.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
Usually the dealer has to order the air bag parts, so Honda can maintain a tight tracking system on all replacements. A visit to the dealer is needed so they can get the order in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personally I would use a local shop/dealer to perform the work. Since you’re already on your road trip, just wait until you get back at least for the timing belt job.

In my area timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, tensioner, and coolant runs about $1200 at the Honda dealer. Shop rate is $170 per hour for comparison purposes.

This, and the valve adjustment, are two of the few jobs I only trust a dealer to do since they work on these engines all the time.
Trust is my main reason for wanting to use a dealer. At least then if something screws up they're obligated to fix what they failed at.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Also keep in mind, valve adjustment isn't required. The owner's manual includes valve adjustment in that service only if needed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So if I'm not having any issues whatsoever, ya'll recommend waiting until I'm back where I live so I'm not stranded in the event of something happening?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
So if I'm not having any issues whatsoever, ya'll recommend waiting until I'm back where I live so I'm not stranded in the event of something happening?
When was the last time you did it? You should be good for at least 100k miles or 7 years. (Technically its 105k miles)
We went 178,000 miles on the original parts in a 2006 Odyssey (we just weren't paying attention). Thankfully it didn't break. I don't recommend that at all, but I'd wait until you get back home.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
Yes. Murphy's Law.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
When was the last time you did it? You should be good for at least 100k miles or 7 years. (Technically its 105k miles)
We went 178,000 miles on the original parts in a 2006 Odyssey (we just weren't paying attention). Thankfully it didn't break. I don't recommend that at all, but I'd wait until you get back home.
Yes, can't give OP an answer. By what has been shared so far, we really need to know how long since (miles/years) the last time it was done on this 255k mile Pilot built in 04. If this answer is unknown, take it to a repair shop near by, with no diversions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, can't give OP an answer. By what has been shared so far, we really need to know how long since (miles/years) the last time it was done on this 255k mile Pilot built in 04. If this answer is unknown, take it to a repair shop near by, with no diversions.
I'm the second owner and there's a massive stack of maintenance papers. I sorted them all by date and found nothing for timing etc.
258k miles but no issues with it running or idling.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
I'm the second owner and there's a massive stack of maintenance papers. I sorted them all by date and found nothing for timing etc.
Maybe check again around/after the 7 year/105K mile (and 14 year/210K mile) mark.
Based on time and mileage, the timing belt should have been done twice by now.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
258k miles but no issues with it running or idling.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts