Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to ask this for a longtime, but it seemed pretty stupid. So, I hope that the old adage, "there is no such thing as a stupid question" holds true here. If not, please bear with me.

According to the manual, it says to press on the brakes when starting the car and I've been diligently following that instruction. But is this true for all Honda cars? I've only driven domestic cars in the past, Pontiac, Ford, Chevy and Chrysler and not one of them requred the brakes applied when starting the car.

Why is this neccessary for the Pilot or for Honda cars? Thanks in advance, even if you're rolling your eyes ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
RipRocK said:
According to the manual, it says to press on the brakes when starting the car and I've been diligently following that instruction. ;)
Never did press on the brakes. Didn't know about it either.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Back in the good old days when manual transmissions were as common as the sun and I had to walk 5 miles in the snow to get to school, people would try to start their cars while in gear. Low and behold the car would jerk forward if your foot was not on the break. So manufacturers started putting safety precautions into place where you would have to press the brake and clutch before you turned the ignition key. This idea has probably carried on to even today's automatic trnasmissions.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Did not know it was required. I always do it anyway in all my vehicles.

Have you guys notice after putting the gear on PARK, engaging parking breaks, then releasing the brakes, the Pilot will kinda move almost rocking a bit? Is this normal? :confused:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2k3_nbp said:
Back in the good old days when manual transmissions were as common as the sun and I had to walk 5 miles in the snow to get to school, people would try to start their cars while in gear. Low and behold the car would jerk forward if your foot was not on the break. So manufacturers started putting safety precautions into place where you would have to press the brake and clutch before you turned the ignition key. This idea has probably carried on to even today's automatic trnasmissions.
So, it's not neccessary with our Pilots then?

·
Registered
163 Posts
vegasdude,

Call me stupid but this is what I do. First I apply parking brakes, then put the gear in park and release the brakes. Try this. Be careful this would take quite sometime to learn.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My take...

Blame the lawyers. Ever since Audi almost ceased to exist due to "unintended accleration issues" lawyers live in fear of some waahoo blasting a just started car through their neighbors' den.

Easiest way to CYA is to put something in the owner's manual: " Your honor, I would now like to quote the owner's manual - ' You must depress the brake whenever starting the vehicle', did the plaintiff do this simple thing as clearly stated? You must dismiss this frivoulous case of owner error..."

Yadda think?

·
Registered
25 Posts
hondalover,

You are not stupid. In fact, applying the parking brake before shifting into Park is what Honda wants you to do. It is in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I agree. Always put on the parking break and THEN shift the tranny into park. Then, no rocking and much less pressure on the transmision's PARK gear - i.e., it will leave PARK smoothly when you are ready to drive again.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have always done this and I still do it now, out of habit I guess. My first couple of cars were standard trannies which may have contributed to this behavior, though it seems logical to me to have the brake engaged when starting a vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the reason for this is back in the 80's or early 90's, Audi exerience with a law suit (with one of its car) when started, jerk up and run and causes some death/injuries.

As a result, Audi sale plumet and it takes a while for it to gain back customers. As a safety precaution, other car manufacturer has implemented this feature.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Maybe so your foot is already on the brake so you can shift into R or D. Have to push the brake to release the interlock - thanks to Audi.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I never thought about how I start my vehicles.

In my Trooper I have to push in the Clutch to start it.
In my Pilot, I just start it without pushing the Brake or the Gas.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I used to press the brake when starting when I first started driving becuase I always had a manual tranny. After I learned how to defeat the clutch/starter kill switch, it's the first 'mod' I made to every manual car I owned.

BTW, I brake with my left foot. Ohh, I'm bad :4:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually I keep both feet off both pedals while starting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts