Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone track how many miles they can really drive after the low gas tank warning light comes on? What's the real number?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't remember exactly, but I think it came on around 300 miles, maybe 320 .... Then, I had to fill him for the first time since buying on 9/27 and got the shock of my life .... 23+ bucks !!! :eek:

·
Registered
465 Posts
ksraja said:
I don't remember exactly, but I think it came on around 300 miles, maybe 320 .... Then, I had to fill him for the first time since buying on 9/27 and got the shock of my life .... 23+ bucks !!! :eek:
Are you saying $23 is a lot? I am thrilled to only pay around that for a fill up! My last vehicle used premium, and had the same size gas tank. That's about 18 cents more per gallon around here. I don't get quite the gas mileage that I was getting, but the price per gallon more than makes up for it!

·
Registered
138 Posts
catbert said:

Are you saying $23 is a lot? I am thrilled to only pay around that for a fill up! My last vehicle used premium, and had the same size gas tank. That's about 18 cents more per gallon around here. I don't get quite the gas mileage that I was getting, but the price per gallon more than makes up for it!
YEEEEEEESSSSSS !
This is my first SUV and I absolutely love it .... but yet to come to the reality of paying almost double for a fill-up ! :3:

·
Registered
465 Posts
ksraja said:

YEEEEEEESSSSSS !
This is my first SUV and I absolutely love it .... but yet to come to the reality of paying almost double for a fill-up ! :3:
This is my first SUV too. I have been paying more to fill up a sedan than this vehicle! I once had a VW that would go forever on 10 bucks, but that was 15 years ago.

I'm with you in wishing it were cheaper to fill up. I would trade my Pilot on a hybrid in 3-4 years if they come out with one, even though I am one to keep a car 7 years if it isn't having problems. Even if it were a more expensive vehicle, it would definitely pay off in the long run.

What kind of vehicle did you have before the Pilot?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Civic & Accent :D

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Mkell

I would not trust averages from others vehicles.
Drive till the light comes on.
Fill up and not the gallons.
Do at least 3 times.
Subtract the amount from the tank size.
Use the smallest numebr of gallons as your best assumption of what is left in the tank.
That, times your "Worst Case" MPG is your answer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had the same reaction when I first filled my Pilot up. But then again, its a big tank. 19.3 gallons!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Fillups

Well;
19 Gal. at 18.5 MPG at $1.50 for regular,
is way better than the old truck;
21 Gal. at 13 MPG at $1.70 for Premium! (Ouch!)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Mkell

N_Jay said:
I would not trust averages from others vehicles.
Drive till the light comes on.
Fill up and not the gallons.
Do at least 3 times.
Subtract the amount from the tank size.
Use the smallest numebr of gallons as your best assumption of what is left in the tank.
That, times your "Worst Case" MPG is your answer.
Good methodology. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

With regard to gas milage - the Pilot is a relief after the Durango. I swear I could hear the gas level being sucked down by that monster.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Durango hell;

Try an 91 Range Rover!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Whoah ... Pilot RULES ! :6:

·
Registered
226 Posts
how many more miles

After the light comes on?
How far were you able to push it? I pushed it to 35 more miles after the light but I was real nervous.
How many gallons really left when the light comes on is the million dollar question.

Anyone have a final answer?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
My bet

Have not checked yet, but my CR-V light comes on almost exacty 1 gal before the "E" line (Guage neddle exactly on top of line of face)
and at that point it takes almost exactlt 13.1 gal (15.1 gal tank)

My 1983 honda civic also had exactly 2 gal left when it was on the "E" line.

So, I am guessing you have 3 gal. (3 g x 18 MPG = 54 Miles)

You do not want it to come on too much later than this since highway reststops are often 30 miles apart, and one might be closed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think, at least for my car, that it is between 40-50 miles. I have filled up my car each time the light comes on and it takes about 16.3 miles to fill it which leaves about 3 gallons in the tank before fill up, multiply that by my worst case mpg of 15 mi. and I figure that I had about another 45 miles or so.

Just my .02 :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Usable Fuel

You must remember that all the fuel in the tank is not usable.
For a 19 gal tank 1 to 2 gal is not usable because the dip tube does not extend all the way to the bottom of the tank. Take this into account when making your calculations.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks, I did not know that. I guess you really do learn something new everyday......at least on this board!!:D :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
WHAT!!! Are you serious?:eek:

So basically there is gas in your tank that you will never really use?! I can't believe that. Cars are still made this way?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Yes and No

Yes thereis gas in the tank when the pump stops picking up fuel.

No, it should not throw off the calculations, as the measurment for the tank should be the number of gallons from full (by normal filling) to empty (as defined by the engine not getting gas).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Part of the reason for the "buffer" left is to allow for some minor "gunk" to build up over the years and not be drawn up by the pump. This could also be some small amount of water that would settle in the bottom also.

I have always heard you should not routinely let your tank go low all the time anyway as it is hard on your fuel pump. Not to mention the risk of running out on a dark rainy night in a bad section of town. I had that happen a few years back and believe me it wont happen again.

Of course on the other hand - if all drivers in the US went around with a full tank there would be a large increase in the gas inventory at any given time..... Houston would love it. I remember this coming up around Y2K where people thought gas stations were going to be shut down temporarily so everyone decided to go out and fill up just in case.

Pilots are great - :4: Dont tell that to the guy who bought my jeep.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts