Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m a currently a Toyota guy. I started with the 97 Tacoma, then the 07 FJ Cruiser, now a 2014 RAV4. Unfortunately I have come to realize that all my Toyota’s had multiple things in common. First let’s start with the seats, they might as well be cardboard. Secondly, the ride quality is and has been terrible (bumpy, cabin noise so loud I can’t hear my kid talk). Lastly, their technology is always YEARS behind the competition. So, I have thought about leaving my favorite car make aside and switching to Honda. The only reason I have stuck with the rough ride and bad tech is for the resale and reliability. Now I have a wife and two kids and I hate driving with my knees in the dash.

So the reason I’m here is to seek guidance from fellow 2016 owners about their experiences. The Pilot is obviously swinging in a higher class than the RAV4. The back seat is so comfortable and the legroom is far superior. Also, there is a third row, so when family comes to visit we don’t have to take 2 cars. Unfortunately I live in ND and finding vehicles here is very hard. I’m drawn to the AWD Touring model. This is mostly because of the entertainment system, heated seats, and a couple other little features I would enjoy. I have found one that I think will work perfectly but there is one catch...it has 98,000 miles. The asking price is very fair and the CARFAX shows one owner, minor damage to the front bumper a year ago, and it seemed to be serviced monthly (no joke it has 26 services). I normally don’t point to a specific demographic but I’m assuming the only person who changes oil every month at a dealership is an old couple, which to me is great. The only concern I have is if this is just too much mileage? I did a lot of research and iv read that in fact this is the best option because it won’t really depreciate more like a 2016 with 40,000 miles would. I plan to keep it for about 3-5 years so that would put it around 150-170k miles. I have read a lot of concern about the infomation system and the transmission. Thoughts? Concerns?

Edit: My wife and I did test drive a 2016 Touring that had 40k miles and loved it. After locking in a price I got the CARFAX and it was in a severe wreck so I bailed.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
If you're sure about the pedigree, 98,000 miles is practically just the break-in period for a Pilot. :)

You'll be due for a timing belt service in about 9k miles, though, which is why a lot of them get sold just before that. Just use an Aisin kit when the time comes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're sure about the pedigree, 98,000 miles is practically just the break-in period for a Pilot. :)

You'll be due for a timing belt service in about 9k miles, though, which is why a lot of them get sold just before that. Just use an Aisin kit when the time comes.
Thanks for your response! Just nervous about financing around 22k with so many miles.

·
Banned
379 Posts
I’m a currently a Toyota guy. I started with the 97 Tacoma, then the 07 FJ Cruiser, now a 2014 RAV4. Unfortunately I have come to realize that all my Toyota’s had multiple things in common. First let’s start with the seats, they might as well be cardboard. Secondly, the ride quality is and has been terrible (bumpy, cabin noise so loud I can’t hear my kid talk). Lastly, their technology is always YEARS behind the competition. So, I have thought about leaving my favorite car make aside and switching to Honda. The only reason I have stuck with the rough ride and bad tech is for the resale and reliability. Now I have a wife and two kids and I hate driving with my knees in the dash.

So the reason I’m here is to seek guidance from fellow 2016 owners about their experiences. The Pilot is obviously swinging in a higher class than the RAV4. The back seat is so comfortable and the legroom is far superior. Also, there is a third row, so when family comes to visit we don’t have to take 2 cars. Unfortunately I live in ND and finding vehicles here is very hard. I’m drawn to the AWD Touring model. This is mostly because of the entertainment system, heated seats, and a couple other little features I would enjoy. I have found one that I think will work perfectly but there is one catch...it has 98,000 miles. The asking price is very fair and the CARFAX shows one owner, minor damage to the front bumper a year ago, and it seemed to be serviced monthly (no joke it has 26 services). I normally don’t point to a specific demographic but I’m assuming the only person who changes oil every month at a dealership is an old couple, which to me is great. The only concern I have is if this is just too much mileage? I did a lot of research and iv read that in fact this is the best option because it won’t really depreciate more like a 2016 with 40,000 miles would. I plan to keep it for about 3-5 years so that would put it around 150-170k miles. I have read a lot of concern about the infomation system and the transmission. Thoughts? Concerns?

Edit: My wife and I did test drive a 2016 Touring that had 40k miles and loved it. After locking in a price I got the CARFAX and it was in a severe wreck so I bailed.
98k on a Honda is nothing! I'm not a fan of going above EX-L though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Personally I would go with at least a 2017 since it has the Android Auto and Apple Car Play for starters. Just from seeing all the various posts of complaints, it seems that there are more for the 2016 than the 2017 or 2018. I have a 2018 Elite with the 9 speed and have no complaints or concerns with the 9 speed. Android Auto was a big deal for me so I never even considered a 2016. You mentioned that Toyota is behind in Tech so to me I don't see the 2016 model being much of an improvement in that area over the Toyota. I also looked at a new RAV4 and one of the deal breakers for me was they only had Apple Car Play and not Android Auto.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I don't think you can really compare a Pilot to a Rav4. You should be comparing it to a Highlander which is more in line with the Pilot. We had a 2017 Highlander Limited AWD and loved the ride of it and the options it had. No problems during our time with it (it was a lease) and really liked it for the most part.

We have now downsized to just one vehicle and have purchased instead of leasing for this one. Decided on a 2019 Pilot Touring AWD because it did have a few more features we liked compared to a 2019 Highlander Limited. Car Play and 20 inch wheels instead of the Highlander 19 inch wheels and no car play. I don't think a 2016 Pilot Touring will have Car Play and the 9 speed transmission was used for the first time in that trim and model year.

It was pretty much a coin toss as to which one to go with, but we decided to give the Honda a try. Don't have any regrets except having given up the heated/ventilated seats the Highlander Limited has, and the auto dimming and heated outside mirrors, again something the Highlander Limited has and the Pilot even in the Touring trim doesn't.

Just checked my window sticker, and it says the Touring does have the outside heated mirrors, but not the auto dimming outside mirrors. My bad!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think you can really compare a Pilot to a Rav4. You should be comparing it to a Highlander which is more in line with the Pilot. We had a 2017 Highlander Limited AWD and loved the ride of it and the options it had. No problems during our time with it (it was a lease) and really liked it for the most part.

We have now downsized to just one vehicle and have purchased instead of leasing for this one. Decided on a 2019 Pilot Touring AWD because it did have a few more features we liked compared to a 2019 Highlander Limited. Car Play and 20 inch wheels instead of the Highlander 19 inch wheels and no car play. I don't think a 2016 Pilot Touring will have Car Play and the 9 speed transmission was used for the first time in that trim and model year.

It was pretty much a coin toss as to which one to go with, but we decided to give the Honda a try. Don't have any regrets except having given up the heated/ventilated seats the Highlander Limited has, and the auto dimming and heated outside mirrors, again something the Highlander Limited has and the Pilot even in the Touring trim doesn't.

Just checked my window sticker, and it says the Touring does have the outside heated mirrors, but not the auto dimming outside mirrors. My bad!
I did make that comparison mainly because it’s the biggest rival in its class. I just don’t care for the Toyota tech and it had less 3rd row space which is a factor for us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Timing belt was replaced

·
Banned
379 Posts
Because of the 9 speed?
Yeah it's not a good transmission. Even on the new models it's a bit iffy. 9 speeds is unnecessary. I like my 6 lol. Had it on my other pilot and my Ridgeline before that. Not one issue. I know people want all the extras that come with touring or elite but I'm good with the EX-L. I'm sure others will say the tranny is fine, but you'll have to decide.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Some Pilot owners have had trouble with the 9-speed transmission in the Touring and Elite models.
Maybe you should also look for an EX-L w/RES, which has the 6-speed transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts

2016 Pilots have a huge fuel injector problem. Find out if that has been replaced or prepare yourself since it may be an issue soon. It is a repair around $1300-1800. You can google or find the thread 2016 Honda Pilot Fuel injector issues. I bought an EX AWD a month ago at 62k miles with all maintenance done at the dealer and the emission light came up. Other than that it is a comfortable ride. Reliability is not as good after the new engine that came in 2016. People who own Pilots before 2016 can’t believe those stories about Pilots. Enjoy your new ride with the family!

·
Registered
3 Posts

I had a Toyota sequoia that we loved for 15 years. The thing got terrible gas mileage but it was reliable. We just bought a 2019 Honda pilot EXL and my wife loves it. It gets great gas mileage and has a surprising amount of torque for six cylinder. We towed a 4200 pound trailer with four of us and it had no problem. You’re right about the infotainment center it’s light years ahead of Toyota, and it works great with our iPhones. We originally looked used but the resell value was comparable to new, so we went ahead and got a brand new one with warranty. I say make the leap and check on prices for new while your at it. We got ours for 3,000 less than msrp By going through an auto broker. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would stay away from the 16 and 17's because of the transmission and fuel injector problems. I had a 17 Touring and just traded it in for a 20 Touring. The 17 was giving me a lot of grief with repairs, it had 74,000 miles on it and I just had the fuel injectors replaced under the extended warranty, but it still didn't shift right after the injectors. I love the 20, it has the cabin talk system, heated front and rear seats and the auto dimming mirror and headlights.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The CR-V is the best class competitor to your RAV4 but I do understand your wanting/needing to move to a larger vehicle. I bought my wife a new 2018 Pilot EX-L AWD a year ago and we've not had any problems. We test drove the Highlander but she couldn't comfortably see over the dash, even with the seat raised (my wife is 5' 1") and the leather seats are hard as rocks. The final strike against the Highlander was the lack of Android Auto. The first year of Pilot ownership has been trouble free and there's close to 15k miles on the odo. We travel to ND from IA a few times each year to see the in-laws and it's a great highway vehicle. I will say that Honda did a good job with noise isolation in the Pilot so you can have a normal conversation, with passengers in the first two rows, at highway speeds. I have 2 complaints: the entertainment system can be a little slow to respond to inputs. It is much more slow than the system in my 2018 CR-V EXL. 2) There isn't a memory driver's seat. At over $40k brand new, there should be a memory driver's seat. While I wouldn't buy a 3 year old car with 98k miles on it, I can understand the appeal of it for you. I'd recommend a 2017 EX-L or brand new if you tend to keep car a while. I didn't want the big car payment but my wife tends to keep cars for a while. She's planning on driving her Pilot "until the wheels fall off". So we're hoping to get 200k+ miles of mostly trouble-free driving out of it. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
54 Posts
The CR-V is the best class competitor to your RAV4 but I do understand your wanting/needing to move to a larger vehicle. I bought my wife a new 2018 Pilot EX-L AWD a year ago and we've not had any problems. We test drove the Highlander but she couldn't comfortably see over the dash, even with the seat raised (my wife is 5' 1") and the leather seats are hard as rocks. The final strike against the Highlander was the lack of Android Auto. The first year of Pilot ownership has been trouble free and there's close to 15k miles on the odo. We travel to ND from IA a few times each year to see the in-laws and it's a great highway vehicle. I will say that Honda did a good job with noise isolation in the Pilot so you can have a normal conversation, with passengers in the first two rows, at highway speeds. I have 2 complaints: the entertainment system can be a little slow to respond to inputs. It is much more slow than the system in my 2018 CR-V EXL. 2) There isn't a memory driver's seat. At over $40k brand new, there should be a memory driver's seat. While I wouldn't buy a 3 year old car with 98k miles on it, I can understand the appeal of it for you. I'd recommend a 2017 EX-L or brand new if you tend to keep car a while. I didn't want the big car payment but my wife tends to keep cars for a while. She's planning on driving her Pilot "until the wheels fall off". So we're hoping to get 200k+ miles of mostly trouble-free driving out of it. Good luck with your decision.
FYI for 2019 Pilot EX-L, there is now a memory seat. Something one thing I like about Honda listening to the their customers. Unfortunately, they could had listened soon.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I’d steer clear of 2016 Pilots. Too many first year problems, especially 9-speed transmission issues. We just bought a brand new 2018 Touring 7 seat model that was in the showroom for a year. We plan to keep it for a long time, so we got the 7 year Honda extended warranty just in case there are any transmission problems. Love the vehicle except for one issue that is getting more and more on my nerves: lack of a center console armrest. To be offset the risks of early transmission failure, we ordered our Pilot with the 5,000 lb towing package that includes the transmission cooler, and will do 2 transmission fluid changes at earlier intervals than required by the service minder. I’d hate to have a transmission failure ruin the experience, so a little money spent up front should make for many, many years and miles (kilometres) of happy motoring. Regarding the ownership experience with Honda vehicles, this is my 10th Honda (we have 3 in our household fleet now), and every time I have to drive something else (except a BMW 5-Series), I cringe until I get back home behind the wheel of a Honda. I’ve driven BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari and lesser brands, and the only thing that I’d want to have besides my Hondas is a BMW 5 series and my trusty Miata.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My service manager said the early 9 speeds had issues but have since been corrected. I have a 2019 Touring and the transmission works great. Only oddity is it typically starts in 2nd gear unless it senses you're mountain climbing or other unique situations as first is a "granny gear" made for special circumstances.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts