Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,827 Posts
Still using Honda DW-1? Prob not. I have my trans flush and fill done at somewhere other than the dealer.
Have you owned since new? YES
Did it ever have the transmission Judder TSB preformed which is 3 drain and fills with a software update? Not that I am aware of.
When the cruise control is set, do you see any fluttering of the rpm gauge? Never noticed any. I do notice a rumble and some fluttering at lower speeds, but it seems to be more about the VCM and less about the transmission.
If you want to end the chance that the VCM is causing any problems like judder, disabling the VCM will usually take care of this plus any possible torque converter clutch lock issue. The reason this is so important is if the clutch plate is not holding firm after shifting, this will cause excessive wear and shorten the life of the transmission. I'd continue to monitor the color of the transmission fluid and continue changing the fluid more often than what is recommended.

Reactions: viper74656

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
886 Posts
I have a bit over 62k miles and the 6 speed is working great. I have also been using Valvoline ML for about 20k miles since I did a 3x drain/fill. I also have a transmission cooler and a VCM disabler installed and I am confident that the transmission will keep performing for many years.

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX-L
36 Posts
If you want to end the chance that the VCM is causing any problems like judder, disabling the VCM will usually take care of this plus any possible torque converter clutch lock issue. The reason this is so important is if the clutch plate is not holding firm after shifting, this will cause excessive wear and shorten the life of the transmission. I'd continue to monitor the color of the transmission fluid and continue changing the fluid more often than what is recommended.
Installed S-VCM on Christmas day. Been driving it the last few days and it behaves like a different car. Wishing I would have done it sooner.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So,,,how does your tranny perform diffently now with VCM disabled? I can't imagine mine being much smoother than now on my 6 speed 2017 EX.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
886 Posts
So,,,how does your tranny perform diffently now with VCM disabled? I can't imagine mine being much smoother than now on my 6 speed 2017 EX.
No change in the up shifts but the downshifts are much smoother and the car coasts much more freely with the VCM disabled. Also there is no lag in acceleration and the tach needle does not fluctuate when cruising.

·
Registered
'22 Pilot Elite, '09 RL RTL, '05 MDX Touring
36 Posts
That's an interesting observation on coasting freer with VCM disabled. We just bought a 2022 Pilot and I have commented to my wife a few times how it seems to aggressively cut fuel and you feel that real deceleration when coasting. It's somewhat difficult to drive smoothly at slower speeds where you're just barely either on or off the throttle because the transition between "under power" and "coasting" seems to be so defined.

This behavior...this apparent aggressive deceleration when coasting...is much smoother with VCM disabled? Interesting.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Not sure about the 9 speed tranny, but I always get off the gas and coast up to red lights and stops and I honestly never noticed any downshifting or other issues mentioned above with my 6 speed tranny. But with your VCM disabled coasting more might make up for your decrease in MPG now. I snapped this pic yesterday while towing 35 miles to my weekly fishing spot with my boat.Sorry for the blurry pic
Automotive lighting Clock Electricity Font Gas
Automotive lighting Clock Electricity Font Gas

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
226 Posts
I have a bit over 62k miles and the 6 speed is working great. I have also been using Valvoline ML for about 20k miles since I did a 3x drain/fill. I also have a transmission cooler and a VCM disabler installed and I am confident that the transmission will keep performing for many years.
I’m in the same boat except I use Amsoil SS blue cap atf. 32K…so far so good.

·
Registered
'22 Pilot Elite, '09 RL RTL, '05 MDX Touring
36 Posts
I'm at 99k no issues with the 9 speed trans. Just recently did the timing belt, water pump and spark plugs myself. Never doing timing belt before I say it was a learning process but not hard at all.
Are the crank bolts still torqued to something like 250 ft*lbs? I did it on our '05 MDX and '09 Ridgeline and that dadgum crank bolt was the most difficult part of both jobs! I've looked at this on our '22 Pilot and the lack of the power steering pump will be helpful, but there's a very large wire loom/harness assembly right there that looks like it'll be a chore to work around.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ZF 9-speed on the wife's 2017 Elite was switched to VML, too. No problems so far in the past 3 months besides the lack of an ATF dipstick at the fill bolt. I let the old and new fluid cool to the same temperature by letting it sit in the garage for over a day, then I refill the same amount that comes out. 2017 Honda Pilot Elite ZF 9-Speed ATF Drain And Fill

·
Registered
67 Posts
Are the crank bolts still torqued to something like 250 ft*lbs? I did it on our '05 MDX and '09 Ridgeline and that dadgum crank bolt was the most difficult part of both jobs! I've looked at this on our '22 Pilot and the lack of the power steering pump will be helpful, but there's a very large wire loom/harness assembly right there that looks like it'll be a chore to work around.
Crank 180ft lbs. AS for the crank bolt I used the Milwaukee high impact torque with https://www.amazon.com/Yoursme-Harm...t=&hvlocphy=9001782&hvtargid=pla-647980832394. After you have to remove the ecu and unplug it. Beside that it just the passenger engine mount. Then everything become accessible to get to for the cover and water pump. I went by this video here .

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
564 Posts
ZF 9-speed on the wife's 2017 Elite was switched to VML, too. No problems so far in the past 3 months besides the lack of an ATF dipstick at the fill bolt. I let the old and new fluid cool to the same temperature by letting it sit in the garage for over a day, then I refill the same amount that comes out. 2017 Honda Pilot Elite ZF 9-Speed ATF Drain And Fill
VML has a reputation in other vehicles as being a good fit in the ZF8/9 transmission. You're an early adopter on the Pilot, so please do post back with how it is going.

I hope you followed the ZF fluid change instructions though, which includes running the car briefly through some of the gears to get fluid up into the torque convertor. It's not the same simple drain and fill as the non-ZF transmissions.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite
85 Posts
Just hit 100k miles in my 2016 Pilot last week. I've had no issues whatsoever. Fingers crossed it stays that way for another 100k haha

21 - 37 of 37 Posts