Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what percentage of 3rd Gen Pilots have had no tranny issues so far. I have 81000 miles on my 2017 and so far so good. I would hope over 90% would still be fine. Anyone with over 140K yet?

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,827 Posts
You never have had an issue with an erratic rpm gauge when in cruise?

·
Registered
15 Posts
None here. My 6 speed is solid. I just did the drain and flush with 12qts at 60k miles on my 2017. I also installed the vcmtuner because I started to get the subtle humming when driving around 35 through the neighborhood under slight load.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,499 Posts
Just curious what percentage of 3rd Gen Pilots have had no tranny issues so far. I have 81000 miles on my 2017 and so far so good. I would hope over 90% would still be fine. Anyone with over 140K yet?
Which transmission are you interested in?

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
If you own a 6-speed and the VCM is not disabled, always watch the rpm gauge for any fluttering. If there is a problem, it will be most noticeable when the cruise control is set. The torque converter clutch lock issue was a very common problem with early 3rd gens equipped with 6-speeds.

Reactions: KlubMarcus

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
565 Posts
I'd imagine most have no issues.

Forums are echo chambers of people complaining how "they don't make 'em like they used to...".

I'm not saying the issue doesn't exist, I just think it is magnified on here.
Agreed. I suspect most people never change their ATF and when it starts slipping they take it to the dealer. Drain and fill solves the problem and that's the end of the story for your average owner.

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
Drain and fill solves the problem and that's the end of the story for your average owner.
If you had the software update or a 9-speed owner.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,773 Posts
If you had the software update or a 9-speed owner.

It’s possible that the only problem is the transmission just needs more frequent changing to compensate for the additional strain put on it.

Honda could have redesigned their transmission fluid but I’m sure they knew that they’d be phasing out those transmissions in favor of CVTs and the 9 speeds.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No eratic Tach so far. And I use cruise a lot at highway speeds. I need to take mine in for the software update I guess.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have a '17 Elite with ~63k miles. Trans recently started slow/hard shifting, had a fluid change done about 500 miles ago. Seems to be fine, for now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It’s possible that the only problem is the transmission just needs more frequent changing to compensate for the additional strain put on it.

Honda could have redesigned their transmission fluid but I’m sure they knew that they’d be phasing out those transmissions in favor of CVTs and the 9 speeds.
Honda did not design (or redesign) the fluid for the 9 speed. It is repackaged ZF Lifeguard 9.

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
No eratic Tach so far. And I use cruise a lot at highway speeds. I need to take mine in for the software update I guess.
They will charge you for the update.

I'd spend that $100 for an S-VCM so you can enjoy the benefit of running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time and not worry about the torque converter clutch lock problem again.

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
Have a '17 Elite with ~63k miles. Trans recently started slow/hard shifting, had a fluid change done about 500 miles ago. Seems to be fine, for now.
Did you do DIY or dealership service? For next time, I'd consider moving that service up 40-50k miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did you do DIY or dealership service? For next time, I'd consider moving that service up 40-50k miles.
Dealer did it, I will do myself at 90k most likely. For whatever reason the Maintenance Minder never had a trans fluid change code. I have the Hondacare warranty so I wanted the least resistance if the transmission decided to grenade any time soon, hence why I chose to pay a dealer ~$290(ish).

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd imagine most have no issues.

Forums are echo chambers of people complaining how "they don't make 'em like they used to...".

I'm not saying the issue doesn't exist, I just think it is magnified on here.
I think on any car forum it is because there is no reason to report unless there is bad news.

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX-L
36 Posts
2016 EX-L here.... 144k on the clock and not one issue. Now that I have typed this out, I am sure it will blow up tomorrow.....

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
2016 EX-L here.... 144k on the clock and not one issue. Now that I have typed this out, I am sure it will blow up tomorrow.....
That's good.
Still using Honda DW-1?
Have you owned since new?
Did it ever have the transmission Judder TSB preformed which is 3 drain and fills with a software update?
When the cruise control is set, do you see any fluttering of the rpm gauge?

Sorry for the million questions.

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX-L
36 Posts
Still using Honda DW-1? Prob not. I have my trans flush and fill done at somewhere other than the dealer.
Have you owned since new? YES
Did it ever have the transmission Judder TSB preformed which is 3 drain and fills with a software update? Not that I am aware of.
When the cruise control is set, do you see any fluttering of the rpm gauge? Never noticed any. I do notice a rumble and some fluttering at lower speeds, but it seems to be more about the VCM and less about the transmission.

That's good.
Still using Honda DW-1?
Have you owned since new?
Did it ever have the transmission Judder TSB preformed which is 3 drain and fills with a software update?
When the cruise control is set, do you see any fluttering of the rpm gauge?

Sorry for the million questions.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts