Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles are you getting out of your tires? Since my 14 Pilot (77k miles) is AWD, I usually replace all four at the same time. My tires have 30k miles on them but dealer said they need replacement.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have 150K on my 2012 Pilot. It is on it's 5th set of tires. I have averaged about 30K per set.

The Pilot is a heavy vehicle.

It is easy to measure tread wear yourself. I use a gauge that cost $2.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,848 Posts
I got 60K out of the OEM Michelins that came on my 2013 Pilot Touring. I put Michelins on it the second time and traded it with 72K on it. Someone got some fine rubber when I bought the 2020 Passport Touring. I'm interested to see how the Continentals do on it.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I replaced the original Primacy rubber last fall at 55k. Still above the wear bars but not ready for upcoming winter duty. I'm a feather-foot driver, religiously rotate and maintain inflation pressures.

I also use a low-gloss tire treatment, which appears to almost double tire miles. ;)

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
753 Posts
We got about 40 - 45k miles out of the factory Michelin’s as I recall. Impressive considering I’m excited about getting 30k on my BMW. My Lexus was always 18 - 23k with 25k at most.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I got 60K out of the OEM Michelins that came on my 2013 Pilot Touring. I put Michelins on it the second time and traded it with 72K on it. Someone got some fine rubber when I bought the 2020 Passport Touring. I'm interested to see how the Continentals do on it.
Did the same, - got about 55K on my '12 Touring with the original Primacy. Did a second set as well. When it needed tires again around 110K, we were gifting it to our daughter, and the Primacy were no longer available. I went with the same Continentals that came on the new ones.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
30k miles on a set of tires is not good at all. Were they rotated?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
30k miles on a set of tires is not good at all. Were they rotated?
Mine rotate whenevr I move the car.... Can you repeat thw question please?

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Mine rotate whenevr I move the car.... Can you repeat thw question please?
No I can't repeat the question, I'm in the middle of changing out my muffler bearings.

Reactions: ConrodM and Nuj2m

·
Registered
174 Posts
go to costco,, best prices, plus free rotation and road hazard protection for the life of the tires, and you get a prorated credit towards the next set if they dont last the specified mileage

i just put the 3rd set on my '12 at 77k

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
The OEM tires started hydroplaning around 35k... sure I could have limped them along since they still had some tread depth left but we frequently get standing water and I err on the side of safety.

The Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons (XL load range) are at 60k now... I haven't measured the tread depth but their rain performance is still excellent.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Buying high priced tires for a high milage warranty is not always the answer. I don't like 80k mile tires because when they get to 3 years old +, they become hard and start to loose traction. I look for tires warantied for 60k miles and replace every 2 to 3 years. This = fresh rubber at half the price. My High Performance Sumitomo HTR AS P02s shipped to my house, cost a little over $500 after mount and balance at my local flat fix tire shop.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Buying high priced tires for a high milage warranty is not always the answer. I don't like 80k mile tires because when they get to 3 years old +, they become hard and start to loose traction. I look for tires warantied for 60k miles and replace every 2 to 3 years. This = fresh rubber at half the price. My High Performance Sumitomo HTR AS P02s shipped to my house, cost a little over $500 after mount and balance at my local flat fix tire shop.
Oh great, now @xGS is gonna have to bring up the great Sumitomo debate...

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
11,367 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
OEM tires, I had a puncture deemed unreparable around 45k, had to replace all four, thought they still had plenty of tread left.
Replaced with Michelin Premier A/S, they are now at 55k, and last maintenance about 5k ago, tire condition was considered 'green'.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Yes, #3 for 65k miles at less than half the price. I'll have new rubber in 3 years while the expensive brand buyers will still be on old rubber trying to get their 80k that they paid double for.
It's a choice.
I choose #3.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The one thing I don’t like about AWD is that you have to replace all 4 tires at the same time, you can’t just put two new tires in the front or back. I’m on my 3rd set of tires and my car has 77k miles. On my second set, I had a flat and the hole was near the wall, so they couldn’t fix it. I only had about 20k miles on the tires but I had to replace all 4 tires. They wouldn’t let me just replace the front two tires since it’s AWD.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
The one thing I don’t like about AWD is that you have to replace all 4 tires at the same time, you can’t just put two new tires in the front or back. I’m on my 3rd set of tires and my car has 77k miles. On my second set, I had a flat and the hole was near the wall, so they couldn’t fix it. I only had about 20k miles on the tires but I had to replace all 4 tires. They wouldn’t let me just replace the front two tires since it’s AWD.
As far as the Pilot is concerned, although Honda recommends replacing tires all four tires at the same time, they also state that if that isn’t possible, then to replace the front or rear tires in pairs.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts