Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
If I retired, I'd end up wasting all my time on some internet forum.
Surely you've been retired since shortly after the 2003s came out, then. That would make you in your early to mid 80s. Yup, that computes. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I passed on an early retirement offer earlier this year, week's pay for every year of service (34). I'll try to do a few more years until the last one graduates college next May - then gets married in October. Still have a home equity loan to finish off as well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don’t plan on retiring my pilot ever. I’m most likely going to work it to death hoping to pile up millions of miles if needed. It’s go so few right now, I could imagine it working for another 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
So, you're living the American dream?
No I do not subscribe to keeping up with the Jones and doing the hot and fashionable things. Otherwise I'd have a Suburban or some other fancy new car every couple years and perpetuate debt.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I don’t plan on retiring my pilot ever. I’m most likely going to work it to death hoping to pile up millions of miles if needed. It’s go so few right now, I could imagine it working for another 30 years.
I'm more than halfway there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
58, retired 8 years ago with a government pension due to voluntary early retirement authority and just because the job got old after 29 years.
Have not looked back and enjoyed exiting the rat race thus far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I moved to Canada from Poland in 1986 at 23 with $20 USD in my pocket. My polish born wife came to Canada in 1988 as a poor and happy youngster. We married in 1990 in Montreal, moved to US in 1996 with my wife, Quebec trained registered nurse, and our two boys to South Texas for a better job opportunity for my wife. We lost about 20k CAD when we sold our house in Canada in 1996 due to a strong buyer market in Quebec due to a recent referendum on Quebec independence. We were also helping a bit financially our families back in Poland in 1990s. When we arrived in US we very much started from a scratch. After two years staying at home with the kids I went back to school and I got my associate degree in computer science. I paid out of state tuition the whole two years since I only become permanent resident in US after my 1st year. My wife eventually went back to school, while working full time, hoping to get to medical school which due to cost and workload eventually turn into physician assistant program. After graduating with my associate degree I worked for year as computer programmer/web developer until the .com crash came. The only software development company in Rio Grande Valley closed its door laying off all its employees. I ended up getting an administrative job with Cameron County that lasted 12 years until we moved to Austin in 2012. After moving to Austin I got the job in procurement and contracts with the state of Texas agency. The state and county retirement system have an agreement in place which allows to count time accrued with any of the two systems toward retirement rule of 75 (years worked + age) for the county and 80 for the state. I could retire with my county pension in December 2019 at age of 56 but I will not start county retirement until I retire from the state at 60 in July 2023. I could actually retire from state in June 2022 at 59 but I would take 5% penalty for retiring before 60 plus I would not get state to pay for 50% of my health insurance cost which requires a minimum 10 years of employment. once I retire at 60 I will be getting two pensions, one from the county and one from state, and the rental income from two single family detached homes in a nice central Texas Lake Belton area, both houses will be paid off in 3 years from now, and our primary residency house will be close to paid off. I plan on starting collecting reduced social security at 62 and the small pension from Canada for my 10 years of working there. My wife is planning on continuing working for about 3 to 5 years after I retire and during this time we will be looking for her to work a short term contracts in the countries that recognize physician assistant diploma from US. If we find a place we love we may even think about spending permanent retirements somewhere else. Both of us have three passports; polish, canadian, and american which can help moving to any of the EU countries (Poland is EU member country). My wife's retirement income will come from her 401/403 and social security. Now we just have to hope pandemic craziness will go away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I retired in mid 2011. Retirement is the best job I've ever had. Plenty to do and enjoy and now I only answer to the boss I live with. And she is the best! Our 2010 CRV (hers) and 2013 Pilot (ours) and 2005 C6 Corvette (MINE!) will probably outlast me.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I moved to Canada from Poland in 1986 at 23 with $20 USD in my pocket. My polish born wife came to Canada in 1988 as a poor and happy youngster. We married in 1990 in Montreal, moved to US in 1996 with my wife, Quebec trained registered nurse, and our two boys to South Texas for a better job opportunity for my wife. We lost about 20k CAD when we sold our house in Canada in 1996 due to a strong buyer market in Quebec due to a recent referendum on Quebec independence. We were also helping a bit financially our families back in Poland in 1990s. When we arrived in US we very much started from a scratch. After two years staying at home with the kids I went back to school and I got my associate degree in computer science. I paid out of state tuition the whole two years since I only become permanent resident in US after my 1st year. My wife eventually went back to school, while working full time, hoping to get to medical school which due to cost and workload eventually turn into physician assistant program. After graduating with my associate degree I worked for year as computer programmer/web developer until the .com crash came. The only software development company in Rio Grande Valley closed its door laying off all its employees. I ended up getting an administrative job with Cameron County that lasted 12 years until we moved to Austin in 2012. After moving to Austin I got the job in procurement and contracts with the state of Texas agency. The state and county retirement system have an agreement in place which allows to count time accrued with any of the two systems toward retirement rule of 75 (years worked + age) for the county and 80 for the state. I could retire with my county pension in December 2019 at age of 56 but I will not start county retirement until I retire from the state at 60 in July 2023. I could actually retire from state in June 2022 at 59 but I would take 5% penalty for retiring before 60 plus I would not get state to pay for 50% of my health insurance cost which requires a minimum 10 years of employment. once I retire at 60 I will be getting two pensions, one from the county and one from state, and the rental income from two single family detached homes in a nice central Texas Lake Belton area, both houses will be paid off in 3 years from now, and our primary residency house will be close to paid off. I plan on starting collecting reduced social security at 62 and the small pension from Canada for my 10 years of working there. My wife is planning on continuing working for about 3 to 5 years after I retire and during this time we will be looking for her to work a short term contracts in the countries that recognize physician assistant diploma from US. If we find a place we love we may even think about spending permanent retirements somewhere else. Both of us have three passports; polish, canadian, and american which can help moving to any of the EU countries (Poland is EU member country). My wife's retirement income will come from her 401/403 and social security. Now we just have to hope pandemic craziness will go away.
That is an awesome story. Glad you shared it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes CDL. The MTO physical is a pain, as I no longer have a Family Doctor, He passed away.
Have to go to a walk in clinic, and they really do not know how to fill in the forms properly.
Is there a shortage of primary physicians up there?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts