Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a timing belt change and after several hours of fighting with rust and sized bolts, I finally got everything removed and pulled the lower timing belt cover off. I found that about a third of the gasket is missing, looks like when the dealer did the TB change 7 years ago they apparently put the cover back on with this chunk missing. Problem is that the earliest I can get one shipped to me is next Wednesday, which is 6 days away. So I'm wondering if I can just put it back on the way it was? It lasted this long like that, and there's no dirt or debris inside the cover indicating that not much stuff is getting in there.

Photo shows the chuck that is missing between the two red arrows.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
If you were nearby I would drop some off....

its 10:15pm EST are you ready to call it a night yet? Walmart is open 🤔

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found a tube on Amazon that will be delivered on Saturday, so that's not too bad, so I ordered. Much cheaper and quicker than waiting for an actual Honda gasket. I wish I'd kept the old valve cover gaskets from last weekend, I probably could have used a piece of them. Thanks for the suggestion on the RTV gasket maker. I've heard of it but never had a reason to use it before.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
We missed the Bustin a Crankshaft Pulley Bolt video. How'd it go?

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We missed the Bustin a Crankshaft Pulley Bolt video. How'd it go?
I spent 2 hours this afternoon trying the two recommended methods of getting the crankshaft bolt out:

Method 1: using the pulley holder tool with a breaker bar and two long 1/2" extensions on the crank bolt supported by a jack stand and turned with a 5-foot pipe on my socket wrench. Got nothing except feeling a lot of torsion on my extensions.

Method 2: Using one of those harmonic balancer extra-thick and heavey socket on my impact wrenches. One electric and one air. Neither one could budge it either.

So I finally gave up and just put the breaker bar on a socket, wedged it between the floor and the control arm so it wouldn't spin, unplugged my ignition coils, and hit the starter for about a second. I heard the most awful metallic clunking sound and was worried I broke something, but it worked!

The only other complication I had was removing the bottom bolt that holds the engine mount bracket to the engine. Took about an hour of slowly wrenching it out with a box-end wrench because the clearance is too short to get a ratchet in there. It finally came out and had chunks of aluminum in the threads just like that bolt in the vertical hole in the bracket. So I used my die to chase the threads and clean it off and later when I had the old water pump out, I could access that hole in the engine easily, so I tapped it and cleared the threads.

I've got the new water pump in, new idler pulley, tensioner, belt on, and new A/C belt tensioner. But now I can't get the damn grenade pin out of the tensioner. It's super tight and the little ring just bent open while I was pulling on it. I've tried vise grips, but can't get good leverage on it because of it's proximity to the frame.

So whenever I get that pin out, I'll be ready to put the covers back on, but can't do that till I get the gasket maker on Saturday and let it cure till Sunday. So tomorrow will be radiator replacement/atf cooler installation. It's 2am now, so I think I'll get a little sleep.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so I pulled on the pin some more and finally got the pin out, photo shows why I was having trouble. I guess maybe I didn't pull it fast enough?

But the problem is that a big chunk of the side of the ring around the top of the tensioner broke off when the pin came out. See the photo.

I'm wondering if I can just use it like that, or if I have to order another tensioner. They're $60 on Amazon and won't be delivered till Monday.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Ok, so I pulled on the pin some more and finally got the pin out, photo shows why I was having trouble. I guess maybe I didn't pull it fast enough?
View attachment 138112

But the problem is that a big chunk of the side of the ring around the top of the tensioner broke off when the pin came out. See the photo.
View attachment 138113

I'm wondering if I can just use it like that, or if I have to order another tensioner. They're $60 on Amazon and won't be delivered till Monday.
Would you be afraid of the SKP for $25 on Rockauto?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Yep, no way to re-use. 🤦‍♂️
I've had a pin stick on me before. I leveraged the vise grips against another tool.
Sorry for your pain.
Any chance it was a fractured part to visit your favorite dealer parts department? Any MacGyver ideas like use the old one or JBweld or local parts store? Just some ideas

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Any chance it was a fractured part to visit your favorite dealer parts department? Any MacGyver ideas like use the old one or JBweld or local parts store? Just some ideas
It's junk now. 😑

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was getting some noise recently that I think was tensioner noise, so I don't want to reuse the old one. I can't find the piece that broke off, so I can't reattach it, plus that kind of ghetto. I'm sure the dealer would be happy to sell me an OEM tensioner for $150. I ordered the AISIN one on amazon at 4am this morning, so it'll be here Monday and I'll just get an extra day at home I guess.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The gasket maker worked great for replacing the missing chunk of gasket. The new tensioner arrived this afternoon. I actually followed the advice of the FSM this time and not that guy on the South Main Auto youtube video. He said not to worry about holding pressure on the tensioner using the threaded rod from the battery hold-down, so I didn't use that when I pulled the pin the first time, and I think that's why I had so much trouble. This time I used the threaded rod, and the grenade pin came out super-easy with one hand.

Got everything put back together after another couple hours and it everything is running great. It was 94 degrees in my garage most of the afternoon, with high humidity and no breeze. Absolutely brutal. But I lost 7 pounds since Thursday doing all this repair work in the hot garage sauna for the past 5 days, so that's a bonus I guess.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I spent 2 hours this afternoon trying the two recommended methods of getting the crankshaft bolt out:

Method 2: Using one of those harmonic balancer extra-thick and heavey socket on my impact wrenches. One electric and one air. Neither one could budge it either.
Which impact wrenches do you have?

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I actually followed the advice of the FSM this time and not that guy on the South Main Auto youtube video. He said not to worry about holding pressure on the tensioner using the threaded rod from the battery hold-down, so I didn't use that when I pulled the pin the first time, and I think that's why I had so much trouble. This time I used the threaded rod, and the grenade pin came out super-easy with one hand.
I've never used the threaded bolt. I've had my grenade pin stick one time where it looked bent up like yours. That was after I used a hammer handle as a wedge for leverage and pried the pin out with visgrips. Most of the time they come out with ease. ¯\(ツ)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts