Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waiting FOREVER for my installer to do a job we originally agreed on in January(!). So....I'm thinking of finally saying 'forget it' and tackling it myself.

He was going to install an Eclipse amp + Diamond Audio M361 components.

I've installed coaxials in cars before, but never components. Generally, I'm wondering, is there much more to it with components, with the crossovers to deal with, etc.?

My other concern is, I saw in another thread that the stock tweeters are 1 1/2" while the M361's have 1" tweeters. Do I need to look for a set that has the 1 1/2" tweeter? (I was really hoping to stick with the M361's, since this highly-regarded installer recommended them, but.......).

Would greatly appreciate any comments that help me understand what I'm getting into.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The stock tweeters are physically1.5 inches across. You might want to check the tweeters on your component set, the "1 inch" may refer to just the cone/dome size. Either way, the 1 inch tweeter should fit in the 1.5 inch opening, you may just have to rig up a bracket.

Wiring components isn't much different than wiring coaxials. You have to run a pair of speaker wires from the amp to each side where you connect to the crossover. Then from one cross over you run one pair of speaker wires to the mid-base speaker in the door and another pair of speaker wires to the tweeter in the dash.

The trick will be running the speaker leads from the crossover up to the tweeters. It might be easier to feed the leads down into the dash from the tweeter locations.

(In the picture below, substitue an amplifier for the head unit - basically the same wiring.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
By the way...

How are you handling the conversion from the high-level speaker output of the radio to the line-level input on the amplifier?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How are you handling the conversion from the high-level speaker output of the radio to the line-level input on the amplifier?
Sorry, I can see by re-reading my initial post, I failed to say that, at least initially, I'm going to try the new components without installing the new amp.

As far as running the leads from the crossover to the tweeters, can I just use the existing stock wiring?

Thanks very much for your reply -- very informative!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Sounds like something I probably will end up doing. I have one amp, boston acoustic separates for the front and boston acostic coaxial speakers for the rear. Now this system was originally in my 1995 T-bird. The system was installed by Sound Advise and their policy is that you pay for installation once. They took the system out of the T-Bird and now they are beating around the bush. Basically what they are saying is that the Pilot is a weird setup and that I either change everything or nothing. Meaning that they wont leave the head unit alone. They want me to install a head unit with that will accept an amp hookup. I dont understand why they cant just add hardware to the rear of the head unit that converts the speaker wires into rca hookups. I will keep you up to date on what happens.

·
Registered
804 Posts
JBucey said:
As far as running the leads from the crossover to the tweeters, can I just use the existing stock wiring?
I think the front door speakers and the dash tweeters are connected together in parallel. You'll need to run the wires from the xover individually.

Luckily, they're close together. I used a few wire ties strung together to pull the speaker wires from the tweeter openings to the back of the head unit.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts