Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a best guestimate on maximum speed for the Pilot if it didn't have a kill function at 111mph? Just wonder if it could do the 140mph max on the speedometer... :ucrazy:

Attachments

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Jet-Pilot-64 said:
Anybody have a best guestimate on maximum speed for the Pilot if it didn't have a kill function at 111mph? Just wonder if it could do the 140mph max on the speedometer... :ucrazy:
Depends on how high the cliff is! :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Jet-Pilot-64 said:
Hey Jet-Pilot-64:

You were doing ~100 MPH at 2500 RPM??? :eek: I'd have to check, but I don't think the math comes out right given the standard Pilot gearing. Or is that a touched-up photo?

MarkB

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Re: How Fast?

Mark B said:
Hey Jet-Pilot-64:

You were doing ~100 MPH at 2500 RPM??? :eek: I'd have to check, but I don't think the math comes out right given the standard Pilot gearing. Or is that a touched-up photo?

MarkB
Why don't you go check for yourself? :D Could it be that the driver, autobahn (one of the members), I believe, snapped the pic just as he let go of the pedal and the car was just starting to decelerate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Car & Drive the Pilot is computer limited to 109 mph which it will do. The MDX is limited to 119 mph, which it will do in third, but the MDX has a higher 6500 RPM redline. Take off the limiter and the Pilot would hit redline of 6200 RPM at 114 mph in third gear. That would probably be about it, once it shifts to fourth (over driven at 0.73) it most likely wouldn't gain any more. The Acura 3.5RL has a top speed of 136 mph, again per C&D

·
Registered
128 Posts
I know a hill where you could top 110

At the end of July, I drove my Pilot from San Jose to Lone Pine, CA over Sonora Pass (9600 feet) and down from the Sherwin Summit between Mammoth and Bishop. On US-395, there is about a 5 mile long downhill straightaway that drops over 2000 feet. The uphill and downhill lanes are separated by at least 1/2 mile. In the Pilot, I started down the hill at 75 and let off the throttle. I had to touch the brakes twice to keep my speed under 100.

If you accelerated downhill until you hit the rev limiter, you should be able to hit 120 even with the drag from 5th gear and wind resistance. Not me, but perhaps someone who regularly drives from So. CA to Mammoth wants to give it a try.

This is a place where it would be nice to be able to select 4th gear and the only place I ever buried the speedometer at 95 mph on my 1968 VW Bug.

I also found that 1st gear on the Pilot was not low enough on some of the downhills on Sonora Pass which required braking to keep the Pilot under 40 mph.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: I know a hill where you could top 110

tseeb said:
At the end of July, I drove my Pilot from San Jose to Lone Pine, CA over Sonora Pass (9600 feet) and down from the Sherwin Summit between Mammoth and Bishop. On US-395, there is about a 5 mile long downhill straightaway that drops over 2000 feet.
I know that hill, and the last time I went down it (late as night) there were some very large deer in the road near the bottom.
Not something you want to come up on at 100MPH!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: Re: Re: How Fast?

RipRocK said:
Why don't you go check for yourself? :D [snipped]
I will (eventually)! I want to get Michelin Cross Terrains first - I had a flat and a very thin slice of rubber about 2" long got cut out of the middle of the tread. I really don't want to be the one to have a blowout at 100!!!

MarkB

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have learned how to use Grade Logic to select 4th gear. Press on the brake until you feel downshift or see tach go up. Then do not touch the gas pedal and you will stay in 4th.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
tseeb said:
I have learned how to use Grade Logic to select 4th gear. Press on the brake until you feel downshift or see tach go up. Then do not touch the gas pedal and you will stay in 4th.
And this has what to do with the subject of this thread??? :2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts