Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I note the width of the Pilot as being almost 5 inches wider than an Explorer, a few wider than Envoy, and only 1 inch less than Expedition. A few years ago, I parked an Expedition in my garage and it was "tight". How are you guys doing in a standard 2 car garage with another vehicle?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have to back mine in so I can get out. It is rather snug. I put one of those mats on the floor so I know when I'm far enough in. You get use to it and it becomes rather simple. Certainley not like parking my Prelude, which was the car that was using the garadge before!

·
Registered
395 Posts
We have the Pilot and an Avalon. We can get both in, but the fit on the wall sides is pretty snug.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Garage squeeze

Before we finalized the deal on my wife's Pilot, we had the salesman drive over to our house and let my wife "test drive" it through the garage door. We have a double deep gagage, so that's not the rub. We have two seperate doors with two door openers, so the fit is a bit snug (i.e. please don't forget dear and scrub off the mirrors!!!). I have a number of my yard toys stored on "her" side of the garage (Cub Cadet, Honda mower, Honda snowblower, and other necessary stuff!), so to make sure she parks at the correct depth allowing the rear door to open with the door clsed, I used the old tennis ball trick. I carefully measured and suspended a tennis ball to just touch the windshield when positioned correctly. So far she hasn't run over my tractor and repeatability is great! I wish I could hook up an electronic device to the backup alarm that would say "Watch those mirrors!" when she backs out - oh well, can't have everything...:8:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was keeping my fingers crossed when I brought my Pilot home for the first time last Friday night that it would fit into the garage OK, and it did, but it is a very tight fit and I have to say that my kids keep banging the door against the wall every time they open the car door. My husband and I just cringe.

I ordered and just received today the garage wall bumpers from the Home Improvement catalog mentioned in another thread. They will be installed this weekend and I will let everyone know how they work out.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Here is the rub. We have a three car garage with a 2 car on one side and a single beside it. The Pilot is a very tight fit in the single and it requires you to line it up practically straight to get it in. It is obviously quite easy in the 2 car side.

OK, you ask, what's my problem. Just park in the 2 car side. Well, my wife is not very good at judging distances and she has already hit the garage door entry with her car twice, so to avoid having my house and her car destroyed, I have to let her park in the 2 car side.

OK, you ask again, why don't you park on that side also. Well, it is basically the same problem in that if I park the Pilot on that side, she has a very narrow path in and out and now my Pilot is also at risk. So, I endure the laborious effort of parking in the one car side to save my house and vehicles the damage that would be cause otherwise.

Should have got a 4 door garage.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The three most common "standard" garage door sizes that I can think of are 8' , 9' , and 16' (1 door for 2 cars). We have a pair of 9' doors and don't have any issues with getting too close to the sides and don't have problems hitting things when opening the doors. Our garage is kind of wide for the two car variety (room for my Cub Cadet lawn tractor and my Suzuki Intruder Volusia 800 motorcycle between the cars) so that might not be a good example of "standard" as far as bay width is concerned Depth-wise the Pilot is not even as long as my old Intrepid.

Chris

·
Registered
449 Posts
WOW

You guys can fit a car in your garage??:p

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here in Queens NY, my car barely fit in the Garage.

With this Pilot, forget about it. I either have to build a car port or buy a new house with bigger garage.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Garage door fit

We also have two seperate 9 foot doors with a 24 inch brick facade between them - the distance between the outside of the mirrors and the inside of the garage doors is still a concern for me! We keep my Accord coupe in the other bay and the stable of yard toys in the front of that bay, but the real concern is the proximity between the mirrors and the door frame. Perhaps I'm paranoid because of a friend whose wife backed out his Buick land yacht and ripped the passenger side mirror off!!! It was hanging sadly from the mirror control when I saw it last...

PS - also beware the garage door opening mechanism!!! There is (was) a bar that hangs down from the opening mechanism that will gouge the rear door if you close the gagare door with the rear hatch open (DRAT!!!). I have shortened the bar and installed a three inch roller to protect against future incidents. My body shop expert says he can make the injured area like new. I used to make fun of the folks that have two garage doors and an SUV garage door that is higher than normal - I now understand why...:( :( :(

·
Registered
385 Posts
my door opening is 7' 11". Pilot goes thru reasonably well... a quick check as the mirrors are going thru is necessary. Probably wouldn't want a garage door opening much smaller for this vehicle

·
Registered
797 Posts
Does not fit in my German Garage. Door opening is about 8' but so are the walls. Could not get out of the driver's door. Also, the rear tailgate glass hit the garage door if I opened it. Now parked in the car port in front of the garage.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It is a double-car garage and with the Accord in there it is a tight but nice fit. I did have to switch spots with my wife though. I'm sorry, she just couldn't park close to the wall two days in a row, it drove me nuts. After the second time of putting the Pilot in the driveway I said the heck with it and moved her to the other side.

Ah, Pilot Nirvana.:D

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a three car garage and with lots of bikes and kid toys. It was a major project clearing one side of the garage to make my Pilot fit. I will start parking the Pilot from the rear as somebody suggested, that will give me more room when I get out of the vehicle. The wife and kids will have to get out of the Pilot before I park in the garage. Hey! C'est la vie!

:D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Agree with Older than Dirt

Two 9' doors [actual opening several inches less] but still need to watch carefully. You could do it with 8' doors but the carefully would become very carefully. Mirror tip to mirror tip requires approximately 7' 2".

Agree with Older than dirt that with some garage door openers you need to avoid opening/closing garage door with hatch open. [Same issue with the '98 Mountaineer.] I actually disconnect power to garage door opener if hatch will be up for extended period of time to avoid acccidentally putting vertical racing stripe on the hatch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fits better than the minivan

I was concerned after ordering the Pilot that it wouldn't fit in the garage. Panicked, I read online that width was 77"(?) and I knew that had to be without the mirrors. The minivan it replaced fit with an inch to spare either side and was almost the same width, according to specs. I was praying for equal or narrower mirrors.

Turns out it is about an inch narrower mirror-to-mirror but poses a more ominous threat to my wife, for some reason. Shininess, perhaps! I like that it's about a foot shorter - makes getting around it with the garage door closed manageable. Also like that I can open the back gate in the garage with exactly 7/8" to spare below the garage door! Couldn't do that with the minivan.

·
Registered
123 Posts
emc02 said:
Here in Queens NY, my car barely fit in the Garage.

Where did you get yours? Paragon Honda wanted +5000 over msrp back in June. They had about 7 in their showroom.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Woops, forgot to mention that my Pilot fits in my garage opening with about 3 inches to spare on both side. Got enough space once I am in, though. Gotta make sure that the door is pushed up all the way or else not enough clearance. Once, the cross bar did hit the bottom of the garage door.
Taking about hitting something..I was in pure luck that I did not hit a shopping cart which was behind my Pilot while backing up into a supermarket parking space. I almost had an heart-attack when I saw the grab-bar of the shopping cart actually touching rear hatch back-up light assembly. Thank God, not a scratch on my plastic lense. Nock on wood, no scratches twice so far.

·
Registered
59 Posts
pilot03

I got mine from Hillside Honda for MSRP. Paragon Honda wanted 2k over.

Here in NYC area, I think only P&S Honda and Hillside ask for MSRP. My co-worker can not get a deal in NJ so he ordered one from Hillside as well. He is still waiting for his with Navi.

·
Registered
123 Posts
emc02 said:
pilot03

I got mine from Hillside Honda for MSRP. Paragon Honda wanted 2k over.

Ahh, Hillside...I bought a new '78 Honda Accord for $5400.00 from Hillside when they were located on Cross Bay Blvd, originally a Honda motorcycle dealer.
After 2.5 years, 84k on the odometer, red-line shift most of the time (+ autocrossed with it every weekend) and visiting most of the race tracks in the N.E. with Bilstein Sports strut inserts on all 4 corners (IOW, pushed and pushed but never abused), I sold it to my mechanic for cool $4800.00. Who in turn, sold it to someone the next day for $5200.00. What a depreciation....almost NONE !!!!! Bought a pair of brand new Goodyear Wingtips for my Accord in '81 and still got them shrink wrapped brand new in my garage. Don;t know what to do with them. Anyone need 185HR13 size?????

1 - 20 of 25 Posts