Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I concur with the VSA off if off road, getting out of deep snow etc. I had it on my FWD CRV and it sucked! my TPMS went wonky and then the VSA off button wouldn't work. I had to put a switch on the VSA fuse for getting up my driveway in winter because if your TPMS is broke you can't turn of the VSA and if your wheels spin even a little it cuts engine power. Not the best thing for a vehicle that has to drive in a Canadian winter and is only FWD. So far the 11 Pilot EX 4WD with X-Ice Michelins has gone through anything I needed it too. Driveway with 24" of snow, slow down, drop to 2nd, push VTM-4 Lock, push and HOLD VSA until it beeps and then give her the beans and up the 35 deg grade of drive and into the garage she goes. I will say that the VSA is nice when at speed and roads get iffy, it kicks in and tells you to slow down, or at least if I'm doing the speed limit and it kicks in on the back roads I know to slow down because something was slippery. But at slow speeds trying to get through deep snow it just frustrates the heck out of you and I am glad you can shut it off in those situations.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
You, sir, understand how to make VTM-4 and VSA work best for you in snow and ice. (y) Not everyone does.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm glad with this generation of Pilot the TPMS can recognize more than 4 sensors. our 2010 CRV when I swapped to the winter wheels and tires it wouldn't recognize them and shut off, I would have had to pay the dealer $75 to reprogram the TPMS in the winter, then in the spring everytime I changed tires. I got second set of wheels for a reason, So when the tires wore, I switched the winter tires to the wheels that were programed and we could shut VSA off, that lasted one winter until we Hit a pothole and broke a sensor, after that I just put a switch on the dash that basically pulled the fuse so VSA, ABS and all the nanny aids shut off. you could then spin the tires enough to get up the drive, flick it back and everything went back on. I was pleasantly surprised when I put the winter tires and wheels on that came with the Pilot that the TPMS trouble light stayed off. I got Brand new Michelin X-Ice tires on steel honda wheels with it. That made the price much more attractive.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts