Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on taking a test drive of the Pilot this weekend. In the meantime, I was wondering what you guys think of how the Pilot drives? I know a few people with Nissan Pathfinders and they all love it, and say the drive is very car-like. But on the other hand, my wife's stepmother has an Isuzu Rodeo, which drives exactly like a truck - rough, harsh, loud, etc...

Thx in advance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
IMO, the Pilot drives very much like a car... but different! I'm not sure if it is attributable to the wider stance or the ATM-4, but the Pilot feels very stable and "sure-footed" in most situations... even in the rain.

Like I said, it's different - but good. Keep an open mind and I'm sure you'll appreciate the ride. :4:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think you said it the best....different, but good. Enjoy a new Pilot today.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Drive!

All I can say is, "CAUTION! Don't drive it unless you are ready to pay for it!" I made the "mistake" of taking it for a "test drive" and now the thing is permanently stuck to my butt! (Believe me it was no mistake). It is as smooth as silk and as quiet as a church mouse. If you are dissapointed, well, to put it in kind terms, I will be very surprised indeed.

Enjoy the ride but be prepared for the consequences!

Happy Trails, Eh!
Dano, from the Great White North!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: The Drive!

dreese said:
All I can say is, "CAUTION! Don't drive it unless you are ready to pay for it!" I made the "mistake" of taking it for a "test drive" and now the thing is permanently stuck to my butt! (Believe me it was no mistake). It is as smooth as silk and as quiet as a church mouse. If you are dissapointed, well, to put it in kind terms, I will be very surprised indeed.

Enjoy the ride but be prepared for the consequences!

Happy Trails, Eh!
Dano, from the Great White North!
Well, I was in a Honda dealer this Sunday because I went with my mother in law to buy her a new Civic. I saw the Pilot, and immediately fell in love. I sat in it, and never wanted to leave. So, I am ready for it, and I can't wait for the test drive! :D

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Wonderful

Nuff Said!

·
Registered
465 Posts
This is one smooth riding vehicle. You would think you were in a car if you weren't riding so high. (I still love being able to see ahead of me more than anything - when you are in a sedan, you just can't see ahead because of the sea of SUVs.)

Of course, I take the curves slower than I used to for safety's sake, but otherwise, this thing will fly and you don't even feel it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, very quiet on the smooth black top but watch out on the worned-out concrete highway...NOISY. Don't know whether it is a harmonic vibration from the metal can (Pilot is made out of sheet metals) or the combination of tire-treads + Pilot suspensions.

The Goodyear tires, Integrity?, are also standard tires for a Dodge minivan but I did not notice as much noise as the Pilot on the concrete road.

Driving in rain? I felt very ease at 80 mph while in pouring rain. If i was driving my Ford Windstar in this condition, most likely be doing not more than 50 mph. I was shocked literally when I realized my Pilot was going at 80 mph. The limiting factor was the visibility not my chicken factor. I was impressed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
N_Jay said:

Compared to what?
Probably means understeer on curves. Well, 4500 lbs with passenger tires, HIGH center of gravity and FWD while in momentum...

Test drove a Trailblazer and almost got myself seasick due to much swaying.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Thats what I meant.

It is very good when compared to its competition, and very poor when compared to a sports car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
When i first took the Pilot on a road trip, i thought it drove better than my previous car (Nissan maxima). How can this be possible? A truck drives better than a car.

This past weekend, my friend confirmed my feeling after he drove the Pilot.

Just our opinions

·
Registered
311 Posts
Smooooooooth..........for an SUV. Like a big Honda sedan!

Of course you're asking folks who have coughed up over $30K for a car. Yikes! We need to justify the heck out of that don't we?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Smooth ride. I think the ride is also very luxurious for a SUV.

Try to test drive a different SUV on the same day for comparison.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I agree. I'm very pleased with the ride. I really disliked the 4runner's ride.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Pilot vs Maxima

Not that these should be compared, but I'll comment because of an earlier post. I have a 2000 Maxima too. The Pilot is smoother around town. Kind of quieter/mushier suspension. But at 70-80 mph, the Maxima has the Pilot by a long way. Maxima feels like you're going 45 at 85. At higher speeds, the Pilot is noisier and more affected by wind.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Re: The Drive!

dreese said:
All I can say is, "CAUTION! Don't drive it unless you are ready to pay for it!
Think this says it all! You won't believe it! It's wonderfully addicting! You'll find all kinds of reasons to go anywhere just to drive it! Be prepared to fall in love.... ;)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Don't let those who own the Pathfinder ever take your Pilot for a spin...they may never come back. ;) Seriously, I took a test drive in the Pathfinder and I thought it was alright. As far as them saying it drives like a car though, I have to wonder what kind of cars they've driven in the past then.

There's no comparison between the Pilot and the Pathfinder. Someone mentioned the ride is much like a car, but different. I agree. There's very little body roll when taking corners or making sudden lane changes, even less than some of the sedans I've driven. And remember, the Pilot has a much higher center of gravity than the sedans.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts