Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Hoping someone has had the chance to drive both kinds of Pilots)
I'm looking to buy a 2nd gen Pilot, but 2nd gen 4WD are rare, so I'd like to know how a 2nd gen 2WD drives in normal driving conditions:
with normal traction expected, (no mud, sand, or sleet etc.), how does Pilot acceleration compares in 2nd Gen FWD, vs. 2005 4WD?

I really like how fast the 2005 Pilot accelerates in low speeds, allowing you to feel secure and confident when you need to zip in and out of traffic. But I read that this fast acceleration is due to the fact that the 4WD activates automatically when accelerating from a stop or from a low speed, so this great acceleration is due to the 4WD. Is that true? And if so, does it mean that a 2WD 2nd gen Pilot cannot accelerate as quickly as a 2005 4WD?
It's an important issue, as 4WD 2nd gen Pilots are hard to come by, so if buying one you need to decide whether to wait for a 4WD, or settle for a lesser 2WD... and the difference in normal daily driving conditions really matters, besides the fact of being much better able to drive (occasionally) in mud or gravel etc.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bumping this...
I hope I did not offend anyone, as by "normal conditions" it may look like I was inferring that snow conditions are not normal, while snowy conditions are a normal daily situation in a good part of the country in the winter...
I tried to edit the post today to change 'normal' to 'non-challenging', but the site does not allow late editing.
I'm trying to compare a 2nd gen 2WD with a 1st gen 4WD in non-challenging road conditions before purchasing, ... hoping to get replies, would really appreciate!
Thank you very much

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,044 Posts
You must be in a snow free zone to be unable to find an AWD Pilot.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts
I don't know how many people would have had the chance to compare the two, and neither have I, but I'd venture to say VTM-4 makes a good difference in getting those 4 tons up to speed. I can feel it.

Otherwise, on a 2WD, I guess you'd have to hope all the Hondadude hype is true about VTEC kicking in. ?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
around my location it's very rare to see a 2wd pilot ..i know there out there....somewhere...probably all hanging around some local Duncan donuts ....

·
Registered
62 Posts
You should read up on basic car dynamics and the various advantages of awd, 4 wheel drive, front wheel drive, rear wheel drive. Your misconceptions and lack of knowledge and will enjoy the stimulation that good information will provide.

·
Registered
506 Posts
(Hoping someone has had the chance to drive both kinds of Pilots)
I'm looking to buy a 2nd gen Pilot, but 2nd gen 4WD are rare, so I'd like to know how a 2nd gen 2WD drives in normal driving conditions:
with normal traction expected, (no mud, sand, or sleet etc.), how does Pilot acceleration compares in 2nd Gen FWD, vs. 2005 4WD?

I really like how fast the 2005 Pilot accelerates in low speeds, allowing you to feel secure and confident when you need to zip in and out of traffic. But I read that this fast acceleration is due to the fact that the 4WD activates automatically when accelerating from a stop or from a low speed, so this great acceleration is due to the 4WD. Is that true? And if so, does it mean that a 2WD 2nd gen Pilot cannot accelerate as quickly as a 2005 4WD?
It's an important issue, as 4WD 2nd gen Pilots are hard to come by, so if buying one you need to decide whether to wait for a 4WD, or settle for a lesser 2WD... and the difference in normal daily driving conditions really matters, besides the fact of being much better able to drive (occasionally) in mud or gravel etc.
I also doubt that you'll notice any difference. Its a heavy box, intended to haul people and stuff. "Acceleration" is a term that can only be used loosely when referring to a Pilot. If you drive a "new to you" second gen like acceleration is important, the transmission may not cooperate for long.

However, there are lots of differences between first and second gen that you will notice. There are lots of posts on the forum that will be useful in sorting this out, if those are interesting to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts