Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot EX-L (Taffeta White)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the Econ mode works on the 2016 and newer Honda pilot? It feels like there’s a choke on the exhaust, feeding back pressure in, but that’s just my guess.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,178 Posts
Does anyone know how the Econ mode works on the 2016 and newer Honda pilot? It feels like there’s a choke on the exhaust, feeding back pressure in, but that’s just my guess.
I think you mean the button you can push or not? I've heard but don't have that gen/year.

Without really knowing- so I guess I'm talking out my a$$ here,
I would think it actually adjust timing and throttle body opening, thereby 'Neutering' the power output and fuel inputs. To save a miniscule amount of fuel/mile. ? ?

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
Eco button acts as a governor. Prevents rapid acceleration to improve fuel economy.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Not only does it make throttle response worse, but in my testing it actually got worse fuel economy than normal mode. I really don't see the point of eco mode if it uses more fuel than normal mode.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Econ mode engaged prevents sudden or rapid acceleration in a few instances. Taking off from a light or stop sign unless you floor it. Resuming a set speed when the cruise control is set and you have to slow down then hit Resume on the cruise. It will take a longer time to get back up to the set speed than if you either stepped on the gas or didn't have Econ turned on.

It also adjusts the HVAC system to limit somewhat the running of the compressor. All of these actions are to save fuel. I drove my 2019 Touring for the first 15000 miles or so with Econ remaining on. I turned it off one day to see how much of a difference the throttle response and fuel savings were. Throttle was noticeable more responsive with it turned off, and the fuel economy really didn't show a significant difference. I have been running the car with the Econ turned off now for 5000 miles (about 7 months) and won't be turning the Econ back on!

The older generations that had a ECO button are different than the 3rd generations that have the ECON button. I believe the ECO button was actually related to the VCM on those models some how. The ECON is not related at all to the VCM on the 3rd generation Pilots.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
Econ mode engaged prevents sudden or rapid acceleration in a few instances. Taking off from a light or stop sign unless you floor it. Resuming a set speed when the cruise control is set and you have to slow down then hit Resume on the cruise. It will take a longer time to get back up to the set speed than if you either stepped on the gas or didn't have Econ turned on.

It also adjusts the HVAC system to limit somewhat the running of the compressor. All of these actions are to save fuel. I drove my 2019 Touring for the first 15000 miles or so with Econ remaining on. I turned it off one day to see how much of a difference the throttle response and fuel savings were. Throttle was noticeable more responsive with it turned off, and the fuel economy really didn't show a significant difference. I have been running the car with the Econ turned off now for 5000 miles (about 7 months) and won't be turning the Econ back on!

The older generations that had a ECO button are different than the 3rd generations that have the ECON button. I believe the ECO button was actually related to the VCM on those models some how. The ECON is not related at all to the VCM on the 3rd generation Pilots.
Didn't know it messed with my AC. Heh

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 17 exl awd, and have tried it for maybe 20 miles of driving. I have no use for it, wish that the R&D on it would have gone to better use - like an option to silence the hatchback beeping.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
I have a 17 exl awd, and have tried it for maybe 20 miles of driving. I have no use for it, wish that the R&D on it would have gone to better use - like an option to silence the hatchback beeping.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Or an option to turn off VCM would have been useful.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,178 Posts
Thanks for the input,

I have a Gen 1 and Gen 2. NO button. Eco light? - Yes, that I think coincides with the VCM engaging, or not.
With these VCM disablers, seems to be the case too.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
As you wish...

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a Gen 1 and Gen 2. NO button. Eco light? - Yes, that I think coincides with the VCM engaging, or not.
With these VCM disablers, seems to be the case too.
Right. My Odyssey is the same as the Gen 1/2 Pilots. No ECON button, but an "ECO" light on the dash that turns green when the VCM is active. Now that I'm muzzled, the ECO light never comes on. On the 3rd Gen Pilot, there is no visible indicator that the VCM is active, and the ECON button is unrelated to the VCM system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts