Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-Jaw Universal Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench

• Cup Socket with a Dedicated Oil Filter Torque Wrench

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I realize pollsters are catching a lot of flack these days, but here's a new poll I think we can all enjoy. :)

How do you tighten your oil filter, just by hand, or some other method?
  • "Once gasket contacts oil filter flange tighten 3/4 of a turn and stop "
  • Swivel Wrench.

• Adjustable Oil Filter Pliers
  • Adjusting Oil Filter Pliers

• Ratcheting Chain Wrench

• Nylon Strap Oil Filter Wrench
  • 3-Jaw Universal Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench
  • Cup Socket with a Wrench
  • Cup Socket with a Ratcheting Socket Wrench
  • Cup Socket with a Dedicated Oil Filter Torque Wrench
  • Cup Socket with Regular Torque Wrench
  • What, there's a torque spec for the oil filter? Better look that up in the Service Manual 'cause I can't find it in the Owner's Manual. Tightening Torque: 12 N-m (1.2 kgf,m, 8.8 lbf-tt)
  • C'mon, man! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I know this is in the 1st gen forum but I responded. My procedure is as follows:

1. Fill filter with oil to soak the media.
  2. If filter is mounted anything but the threads pointing straight up I empty the oil out so there's no spilling.
  3. Touch finger to underside of oil container cap, spread oil over the gasket so the whole gasket is coated.
  4. Install oil filter.
  5. When gasket begins to make contact, give the filter approximately 1/2 turn more. Sometimes more, sometimes less based on my well calibrated hands.
  6. After filling the vehicle, start up and check for leaks. If no leaks, check after a couple heat cycles. If no leaks, good to go. If the filter has any evidence of a leak give it a 1/8 or 1/4 turn more.
  7. I can honestly say I've never had to retighten the filter.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Sometimes I need some kind of oil filter wrench to get them off. I've used a piece of old neoprene wet suit as grip, and get it off by hand.
I've even had to hammer a small long flat blade into it and turn it- rarely.

I don't refill nothing.
I wipe the threads and gasket with a bit of the old oil.
I make sure the gasket came off with the old one, before installing.
I tighten it by hand usually as much as I can get it to turn.

I rarely torque anything w/ a wrench. Ever. When I rarely do heads, I make sure the sequence and the torque is correct, that's about it. I really never shear bolts off either or strip threads.

Start- check for leaks- never found any TG

Done.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
432 Posts
I tighten by hand then go 1/2-3/4 what ever it says. Back in the day when I was less cautious (1980's), I just tightened by hand and never had a problem. I'm thinking I should use that approach as sometimes me evaluating too much can get me in trouble. All main engine parts I go with torque wrench (calibrated with fish scale, socket, vise prior to each initial use)

·
Registered
301 Posts
The tools shown are used for removal only. I oil the gasket and filter and tighten by hand, I've done hundreds of oil changes over 30 years and have never once had a leak from the filter. I also have crazy grip strength according to my physiotherapist so YMMV.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Oil the gasket and hand tighten since 1963. Nary a problem.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Tightened all new oil filters with my super duper hand grip of death. However I wimp out and loosen with my favorite grip tool. Piercing with a screw driver is the absolute last resort but it works ;)

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oil the gasket and hand tighten since 1963. Nary a problem.
OK, good, and they sure don't make them like they used to, but perhaps time to start considering getting a new one? :D

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
When you read the OP title,
then it's like, with my hand, how else? LOL

I'm loving this site. Good people, GREAT info source!

I'm in!

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
If you are installing your own filter and need anything other than your grip to remove it you are installing it way too tight. I've only had to pull out the screwdriver trick once after a shop did an oil change on my mom's '04 Pilot. The screwdriver ended up decapitating the filter so I had to remove the sheet metal and guts so I could put vice grips on the outside of the threads and spin what remained of the filter off.

Never again, I can do my own oil changes and with the Fumoto valve it takes me 10 minutes of actual work. The rest is organizing tools and scratching my ass, maybe listen to the radio for a bit while not having to parent.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
261 Posts
Tip: the gasket on the filter lifts out, making it easy to put a little fresh oil under the gasket. Then put the gasket back in place and put a little fresh oil on top of the gasket.
This helps the gasket move without binding up while tightening it, for a guaranteed food seal every time.

Ps: use the Honda filter cap wrench tool, it is made of chromed 10 or 12 gauge steel, and fits the filter perfectly without slipping. Available as a Honda special tool through Bernardi and others for about $25.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Tip: the gasket on the filter lifts out, making it easy to put a little fresh oil under the gasket. Then put the gasket back in place and put a little fresh oil on top of the gasket.
This helps the gasket move without binding up while tightening it, for a guaranteed food seal every time.

Ps: use the Honda filter cap wrench tool, it is made of chromed 10 or 12 gauge steel, and fits the filter perfectly without slipping. Available as a Honda special tool through Bernardi and others for about $25.
To reiterate/rephrase... if you need a tool of any kind to remove your oil filter you are overtightening it from the start. Not a personal affront just stating a best practice.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
The tools shown are used for removal only. I oil the gasket and filter and tighten by hand, I've done hundreds of oil changes over 30 years and have never once had a leak from the filter. I also have crazy grip strength according to my physiotherapist so YMMV.
I tighten until the metal buckles, then I know it will stay on forever, lol
Ya, it's just supposed to be hand tight. Lol

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
$25 for Chrome, that's nice but pricey. Wally World has them painted black for $3.37.
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=oil filter wrench&typeahead=oil filter

Reactions: The Todd
1 - 20 of 105 Posts