Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Somehow I managed to leave the key in the ignition last night. I'm sure it was in the off position, mainly because the engine wasn't running this morning and the tank was full. But the battery was stone cold dead. So dead, the charger wouldn't recognize it was attached to a battery.

So I went to get the lithium jumper battery I keep in the storage area in the back. Although the front doors were unlocked, the rear hatch wouldn't open. I tried the rear hatch button up front and the unlock all doors button on the arm rest. Deader than a door nail. No clicks even. So I think, no problem, I'll just unlock the rear hatch with the key. Fob unlock didn't work, neither did the key ... couldn't find anywhere a key would go. Seriously? I even tried the little hidden rubber switch to open the rear hatch window but it was lifeless.

I finally had to take the battery out of the boat to get the Pilot running. Boy did the dash light up ... we wish you a merry christmas, we wish you a m....... and a happy new year!

I had to get to an appointment so no time to give it a good charge ... had to go. I know the battery was totally dead because the radio didn't work, forgot the code.

So, two things ... don't leave the stupid key in the dumb ignition, even off. And more importantly, even if you are smart enough to always take your key out of the ignition no matter how many things you're trying to carry ... do NOT store your jumper battery in the back if your rear hatch has no key lock.

I'm hoping the dash light go out when I get the battery back up to full charge and drive some. Oddly it's not the battery/charging light but, you guessed it the VSA, ABS and Brake warning lights. Odd. Haven't look for codes yet.

See, that's what I get for bragging on myself for doing all that maintenance putzing around the engine and not triggering any dash lights. <groan>馃サ

I wonder what drained the battery from fullly charged (drove 50+ miles yesterday) to stone cold dead, just because the key was in the ignition, off.

Registered
Hey, So I've had dead batteries before on my Pilot. There is no key hole on the outside but there is a door on the inside to actuate the latch so you can open it. I tried to find a picture online but couldn't find one. I'll see if I can pull up a pdf of the manual and post a screenshot for you. It is located in the middle of the door cover, towards the bottom by the latch itself. Check out your manual as it will show you how to use it.

As to the warning lights, you need to remember that some of these technologies use a lot of power, so if the battery is low, there may not be enough power available for the traction control, ABS, etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I'll remember that. Next time I'll crawl in from the front and open it that way, or just try to open the storage cover and get the jumper battery (probably impossible with my weight on it).

I think you're right about the not having enough power to run those systems although I'm surprised the battery light isn't on. I'm waiting for the battery to fully charge on the charger. I don't want to overwork the alternator driving it around until then.

Hopefully I didn't blow up anything trying to charge the totally dead battery and then jumping it with the not fully charged boat battery. Appreciate your help!

Registered
The battery light actually doesn't tell you the battery is dead or bad, it tells you if the alternator isn't charging your battery. Weird I know. you will likely need a new battery or a good desulfication re-charge or the battery will go flat on you again. once you fully discharge a led acid that far they won't come back without work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The battery light actually doesn't tell you the battery is dead or bad, it tells you if the alternator isn't charging your battery. Weird I know. you will likely need a new battery or a good desulfication re-charge or the battery will go flat on you again. once you fully discharge a led acid that far they won't come back without work.
Then I won't mention the two times before that someone left the passenger's dome light on overnight.

Any guesses what would draw enough to pull the battery down to zero ovenight just by leaving he key in the ignition in the I or off position?

Good to know the alternator is still working. Battery is the easier of the two to replace.

Registered
Dome light is enough especially if cold outside to kill the battery, Some cars can have a minor parasitic draw that with the key in the ign can be amplified by the car reading the chip over and over again. A good investment is a good charger with the battery repair feature, I have one for my Motorcycles as those batteries can get buggered from sitting and or poor charging old bike systems. You can put it on and the charger will "Fix" the chemistry in the cells and get back the damaged/lost charge capacity from over draining the battery.

Registered
Any chance you hooked up a code scanner to the odb2 port? If I scan ours with my blue driver scanner (and remove it when done) it triggers SOMETHING and kills it exactly like you said overnight. I have no idea what happens but I鈥檝e learned to disconnect the battery after scanning for codes to reset everything. It鈥檚 100% guaranteed to drain it every time if I don鈥檛.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any chance you hooked up a code scanner to the odb2 port? If I scan ours with my blue driver scanner (and remove it when done) it triggers SOMETHING and kills it exactly like you said overnight. I have no idea what happens but I鈥檝e learned to disconnect the battery after scanning for codes to reset everything. It鈥檚 100% guaranteed to drain it every time if I don鈥檛.
There is a code reader plugged in. But it's been there a long time. I haven't scanned anything lately.

Registered
Ah, ok... just something to keep in mind. It kicks off a massive drain on mine anytime it runs a scan. Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dome light is enough especially if cold outside to kill the battery, Some cars can have a minor parasitic draw that with the key in the ign can be amplified by the car reading the chip over and over again. A good investment is a good charger with the battery repair feature, I have one for my Motorcycles as those batteries can get buggered from sitting and or poor charging old bike systems. You can put it on and the charger will "Fix" the chemistry in the cells and get back the damaged/lost charge capacity from over draining the battery.
I left it on the charger all night. It was fully charged this morning. Drove up to Academy Sports to wait in line for ammo at 7am. Worked fine. Started fine. Dash lights were out. Seems to be its old self. Phew!

Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens peque帽o sparus tyre.
What scanner are you using that does that?

Drove up to Academy Sports to wait in line for ammo at 7am.

Thought you already got your shots. :D

The early bird gets the worm. But the second mouse gets the cheese. :)

Registered
What scanner are you using that does that?
Blue Driver - it鈥檚 a wireless Bluetooth based scanner that works with your phone and supports scanning manufacturer codes as well as logging, freeze frame, and can reset battery adaptations on German cars and stuff too. Generally pretty nice scanner and works great on everything except our Pilot where a full 鈥渁ll modules scan鈥 freaks out <something>.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jealous you found some.
They limited everyone to two boxes. I got a box of 500 5.56 and 50 9mm. They aren't price gouging. Same as old prices, $.35/rnd for 9mm and $.56/rnd for 5.56. Both Remington. Many places are charging 3x-4x that, if they even have any. I was at BassPro/Cabelas Wed and they had zip. Academy gets in a truck delivery twice a week.

I hear Remington was bought out and the new parent company is firing up production again and calling back most of the layoffs.

Registered
They limited everyone to two boxes. I got a box of 500 5.56 and 50 9mm. They aren't price gouging. Same as old prices, $.35/rnd for 9mm and $.56/rnd for 5.56. Both Remington. Many places are charging 3x-4x that, if they even have any. I was at BassPro/Cabelas Wed and they had zip. Academy gets in a truck delivery twice a week.

I hear Remington was bought out and the new parent company is firing up production again and calling back most of the layoffs.
Wow that鈥檚 a great deal. Would be awesome to get Remington going again. Congrats on finding some!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts