Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for a water pump and timing belt. Yeah the pump is leaking pretty bad at this point.

I saw several on ebay, some of them even Aisin kits.
Some "genuine Honda" sets.

I am not wanting to go with the $60 kits, I can already imagine they suck, but what about the $200'ish kits?

But yeah for any parts, how would one really know if they were the real thing or not?

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,373 Posts
Reactions: SgtVic

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
My method for determining real from counterfeit on fleabay is simple. If it’s from fleabay it’s counterfeit.
Well that certainly is a slam dunk way of preventing being a victim of fraud.
I've used Ebay for used parts or for parts that are inanimate. Most notably a used fender well liner for a Crosstour, a power steering reservoir for a Nissan NV that came off an Armada (it was 1/4 the price than everywhere else), a used ATF cooler for a Nissan NV that came off a newer wrecked one (1/3 the price of new). A new in the box under cover for a NV that someone bought and didn't use. Some guy shipped me a new 1996 Mazda TYC side marker lens from eastern Europe way cheaper than anybody else in the states (took 3 weeks). It is possible to buy successfully on Ebay. What's the risk level of the part your looking for? No, I'd never consider buying a timing belt water pump kit or genuine fluids for any particular make of vehicle. You have no idea if it's the real deal. I'd ask anyone who buys supposed genuine Honda parts and fluid to prove it's genuine. How did this 3rd party seller acquire these to sell to you?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,105 Posts
Well that certainly is a slam dunk way of preventing being a victim of fraud.
I've used Ebay for used parts or for parts that are inanimate. Most notably a used fender well liner for a Crosstour, a power steering reservoir for a Nissan NV that came off an Armada (it was 1/4 the price than everywhere else), a used ATF cooler for a Nissan NV that came off a newer wrecked one (1/3 the price of new). A new in the box under cover for a NV that someone bought and didn't use. Some guy shipped me a new 1996 Mazda TYC side marker lens from eastern Europe way cheaper than anybody else in the states (took 3 weeks). It is possible to buy successfully on Ebay. What's the risk level of the part your looking for? No, I'd never consider buying a timing belt water pump kit or genuine fluids for any particular make of vehicle. You have no idea if it's the real deal. I'd ask anyone who buys supposed genuine Honda parts and fluid to prove it's genuine. How did this 3rd party seller acquire these to sell to you?
My philosophy in such things is simple. Buy from reputable dealers. Fleabay is not a dealer, they are a classified ad service. The only difference between them and Craigslist is the thievery is done via USPS, UPS, or Fedex instead of at the end of a gun in a parking lot.

Well that and the fact that you can't get a hooker from eBay.

With Rock Auto, Majestic Honda, Bernardi Honda, O'Reilly's or any of the other established parts dealers I have an actually entity to deal with if a part is defective, prematurely fails, causes some other kind of issue or actually turns out to be a counterfeit that they received. Not so with a classified ad sale.

Besides, would you really want to take that Delta Flight from Austin to Atlanta knowing that one of the planes engines or one of the landing gears were replacements that came from an eBay site?

I will admit that I did buy a couple of wooden bowls and a tankard off of eBay for a historical reenactment, neither of which mattered in any way shape or form. I will admit that the tankard was actually for hysterical reenactment as it was a one gallon ice bucket.

Tableware Dishware Drinkware Serveware Kettle

It got lots of looks and laughs when I took it into a pub for one of the wenches to fill.

I think Tracy Morgan does a good job of answering the question..........

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don’t even risk it. I just buy from rock auto. I saw even oil filters were being counterfeited on Amazon. I bought a timing belt kit from Amazon. It lasted 23,000 miles. Then I got to pay for the job again. Oh and let’s not forget it happened while we were 1,000 miles away on vacation. Never again.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
My philosophy in such things is simple. Buy from reputable dealers. Fleabay is not a dealer, they are a classified ad service. The only difference between them and Craigslist is the thievery is done via USPS, UPS, or Fedex instead of at the end of a gun in a parking lot.

With Rock Auto, Majestic Honda, Bernardi Honda, O'Reilly's or any of the other established parts dealers I have an actually entity to deal with if a part is defective, prematurely fails, causes some other kind of issue or actually turns out to be a counterfeit that they received. Not so with a classified ad sale.

Besides, would you really want to take that Delta Flight from Austin to Atlanta knowing that one of the planes engines or one of the landing gears were replacements that came from an eBay site?

I will admit that I did buy a couple of wooden bowls and a tankard off of eBay for a historical reenactment, neither of which mattered in any way shape or form. I will admit that the tankard was actually for hysterical reenactment as it was a one gallon ice bucket.

View attachment 154733

It got lots of looks and laughs when I took it into a pub for one of the wenches to fill.

Yes, I can buy new OEM. Never would deny that it is a safer option. But when you have 8-10 vehicles, it's saved me $1000s. Again, keep the risk factor low. Don't buy vital components from 3rd party sellers.

·
Administrator
5,105 Posts
Yes, I can buy new OEM. Never would deny that it is a safer option. But when you have 8-10 vehicles, it's saved me $1000s. Again, keep the risk factor low. Don't buy vital components from 3rd party sellers.
If you have 8-10 vehicles and don't have 8-10 drivers then you are a future episode of Hoarders. ;)

The only exception to that rule is if at least 90% of those vehicles are high dollar classics that are not salvage rebuilt vehicles. 😆
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
If you have 8-10 vehicles and don't have 8-10 drivers then you are a future episode of Hoarders. ;)

The only exception to that rule is if at least 90% of those vehicles are high dollar classics that are not salvage rebuilt vehicles. 😆
View attachment 154736
All my vehicles run, rebuilt or not.
Sorry, no horders episode here.
I have been know to save old parts though. The "I might need that someday" mentality can cause things to pile up if your not careful. We make a run to the metal recycling facility at least once a year. Made a whole $40 a couple of months ago. But at least we cleaned some stuff out.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2007 EX-L
489 Posts
Call me a hoarder if you want. I call it life is too boring to buy a new a-b car every 6 years. I want to drive all the cars I can. Of course, that means I've worked on a lot of different makes and models.

·
Administrator
5,105 Posts
All my vehicles run, rebuilt or not.
Sorry, no horders episode here.
I have been know to save old parts though. The "I might need that someday" mentality can cause things to pile up if your not careful. We make a run to the metal recycling facility at least once a year. Made a whole $40 a couple of months ago. But at least we cleaned some stuff out.
:rolleyes:
But do you have 8-10 drivers at home???

Note to self, dine with Nail Grease only at a restaurant. 😁
Hairstyle Cartoon Facial expression Vertebrate Sharing

·
Registered
12,373 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess based on Nailgrease's post about having them through walmart for $200, I shall go with that option. Rockauto seems to be out of stock of the TKH-001.
THEN, hope for the best.

Quite simply, don't buy 3rd party.
A 2003 Pilot would need Aisin TKH-001.
Wal-Mart shows to have it. Sold and shipped by Wal-Mart for $195.88.
If you receive the package and it's not packed in an Aisin box. I'd return it. Verify it's sold and shipped by Wal-Mart.
Never thought to look on walfart's website. Thanks for that. However, isn't walmart technically a "third party"?
The belt kit DOES appear to be sold and shipped by Walmart.

How did this 3rd party seller acquire these to sell to you?
Possible rebranding or wholesale?

The only difference between them and Craigslist is the thievery is done via USPS, UPS, or Fedex instead of at the end of a gun in a parking lot.

View attachment 154733

Are the hookers off craigslist genuine?

With ebay though also, if a seller sells fake or defective items, ebay is suppose to step in to fix things. I have no clue how that would actually go.

View attachment 154736
If someone had 8 to 10 personalities though...? 🤔

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Never thought to look on walfart's website. Thanks for that. However, isn't walmart technically a "third party"?

Possible rebranding or wholesale?
I'd like to believe that if it is sold and shipped by Wal-Mart, your buying from a reliable source. When the kit comes in, I'd examine it closely. Maybe post some photos here.

Wholesaling or rebranding OEM doesn’t sound legit. I'd believe any OEM branded part would need to come through a dealership first.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,863 Posts
I don't think Walmart would expose themselves to that sort of liability. Can you imagine how fast they'd get their pants sued off if they were caught selling counterfeit goods?

With ebay though also, if a seller sells fake or defective items, ebay is suppose to step in to fix things. I have no clue how that would actually go.
They're actually pretty good about that. Just be sure to raise a dispute within their deadline. The only time I lost was when I filed beyond the 30-day window at the time. (Discovered the all too widespread scam of fake capacity SD cards after gradually trying to fill it beyond its actual, much smaller than stated, capacity. Now, I always test capacity out of the box with H2testw.)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think Walmart would expose themselves to that sort of liability. Can you imagine how fast they'd get their pants sued off if they were caught selling counterfeit goods?
I am sure they could easily afford a lawsuit but on the other hand, they are rich enough that I don't imagine they would have to cheat the system just to make a buck.

I am going to have my room mate go ahead and buy that TKH-001 kit on walmart's site. Hopefully the damn thing is even in stock though, it seems a lot of sellers are running out of them.

Honestly I am dreading messing with it. Not much clearance, just a sucky job. Plus anything with the cooling system and no matter how well you drain it, this seems to happen once the pump is pulled.
Wait til about 1/2 way through this commercial...

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,863 Posts
I see gateway drug written all over that. :D

Which reminds me, avoid Gates.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I see gateway drug written all over that. :D
Which reminds me, avoid Gates.
I saw that in a couple comments about doing the timing belt. About avoiding Gates.

In one video it was talking about using the J-bolt from the battery to hold the tensioner in place.
Is that totally necessary? The J bolts on mine are made of rust at this point. Had a heck of a time installing them last time the battery was replaced.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
I think if you post some pictures here, the box and what's inside, we can determine if the kit is counterfeit or not. I'm confident in saying about this conversation...
Automotive tire Font Poster Book Wheel

1 - 20 of 24 Posts