Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was monkeying around with my new scan tool, a Foxwell NT630 Plus, and I messed up.
I somehow set on the orange VSA lights in the dash, both the exclamation point in the triangle /!\ light, and after driving a bit, the VSA letter light.

I tried disconnecting the battery for an hour, but they were still there. I know you can clear them with the jumping the 4 and 9 OBD port pins method, and a dealer can clear them with an HDS machine for about $90, but I was wondering how to clear those lights with the Foxwell 630NT Plus scan tool.

I'm sure you people who actually know what you're doing, unlike me it seems, can post the steps. TIA

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
760 Posts
View attachment 144142 I was monkeying around with my new scan tool, a Foxwell NT630 Plus, and I messed up. View attachment 144141 I somehow set on the orange VSA lights in the dash, both the exclamation point in the triangle /!\ light, and after driving a bit, the VSA letter light.

I tried disconnecting the battery for an hour, but they were still there. I know you can clear them with the jumping the 4 and 9 OBD port pins method, and a dealer can clear them with an HDS machine for about $90, but I was wondering how to clear those lights with the Foxwell 630NT Plus scan tool.

I'm sure you people who actually know what you're doing, unlike me it seems, can post the steps. TIA
I’m still trying to figure out how you got the Orange Triangle light all the way from your dash to your post?!! Lol. Wish I could help!

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,336 Posts
With enough monkeys, anything I suspect is possible.
I’m thinking you may have disabled those systems.
If you really have disabled those systems and can’t fix it using the manual, a phone call tomorrow to Foxwell might have to happen.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,189 Posts
If you do a full system scan (or at minimum a scan of the ABS or traction control system) with the Foxwell are any codes reported? That might give a hint of what was changed.
Do you recall toggling any of the diagnostic test modes or programming modes when you were monkeying with the scan tool?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No codes.

But the Curious George in me probably toggled a lot of things beyond my evolutionary development level.

I need one of you to man-with-the-yellow-hat me out of this conundrum.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,189 Posts
Bummer, no bread crumb trail.

Have you tried running through the VSA or Traction Control options/tests to see if anything obvious sticks out? I’d take a look on my Pilot and Foxwell but the LX Pilot doesn’t have VSA.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check out this guy CarsNToys, popular guy with same tool as yours, NT630 and same task. See if it helps.

Oh man, everything in that great video looks so familiar, like the stuff I was monkeying around with. I just didn't follow through on that process. This looks very promising. Excellent, clear video; thanks for finding it and posting. I'm going to try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Oh man, everything in that great video looks so familiar, like the stuff I was monkeying around with. I just didn't follow through on that process. This looks very promising. Excellent, clear video; thanks for finding it and posting. I'm going to try it tomorrow. View attachment 144171
Congratulations on your purchase of the Foxwell NT 630 Plus Scan Tool. This manual will teach you all you need to know about safely operating it to fix your car. If you can't read, then put this down and start monkeying around with it willy nilly and see what happens.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
@plplplpl I have the same issue in my Pilot. The triangle exclamation is always on, but it takes 5 min. or half a mile for the VSA acronym light to turn on. Is yours the same? I just checked your post in the other thread and it looks like yours is the same as mine.

Also - that video's tl;dr is basically recalibrate your ABS/VSA system using a scanner. I'll go to Advance Auto today and give it a shot.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
61 Posts
View attachment 144142 I was monkeying around with my new scan tool, a Foxwell NT630 Plus, and I messed up. View attachment 144141 I somehow set on the orange VSA lights in the dash, both the exclamation point in the triangle /!\ light, and after driving a bit, the VSA letter light.

Is there a button you can press and hold? On my '11 there is a button under the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I got up late, had my extra long retired guy coffee, and before I knew it the sun was going down. Also, it was a demotivating -8 C outside. OK, I won't keep you guys in suspenders any longer...

It...

...worked!

Manual? Manual? We don't need non stinkin' manual.

You just need the internet and a great forum. Just follow the steps in the video and -- poof! -- the orange /!\ and VSA MILs are gone. Took it for a quick ride and they didn't come back. Checked to see if it does light up as it's supposed to when you push the VSA button, since combined with VTM-4 it helps you to get unstuck if you disengage VSA. When I pushed the VSA button again to make it operational again, the light went off as it should.

Bet with this secret handshake knowledge and a Foxwell NT630 Plus scan tool you could have a successful side job of fixing this annoying VSA MIL at 50 bucks a pop. Bet there are a lot of Honda/Acura folks out there driving around with this pesky light on. A previous non-dealer professional mechanic tripped the light when changing my spark plugs 5 years ago, and despite having a whole bunch of scan tools way more sophisticated and expensive than my Foxwell NT630 Plus, just couldn't clear the code and sent me to the dealer where they used their big HDS machine to clear the code in under a minute and proceeded to charge me an arm and a leg above shop time for the pleasure.

Like the clear and helpful dude in the video says, get one and it'll pay for itself even if you don't open your VSA code clearing business on Craigslist or Kijiji.

ABS & Airbag Reset Tool with SAS Calibration_Foxwell

https://www.amazon.com/FOXWELL-Scan...&keywords=foxwell+nt630&qid=1609928862&sr=8-5

US $89.51 34% OFF|Foxwell NT630 Plus OBD2 Automotive Scanner Engine Check ABS SRS Airbag SAS Reset Crash Data ODB OBD 2 Auto Car Diagnostic Tool|car obd2|obd2 diagnosticscanner tools - AliExpress

Thanks to all who helped, even if only to pile on with the good-natured ribbing (I deserved that). A special thanks to the winner of The Man With the Yellow Hat Award: @aloogatr.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I got up late, had my extra long retired guy coffee, and before I knew it the sun was going down. Also, it was a demotivating -8 C outside. OK, I won't keep you guys in suspenders any longer...

It...

...worked!

View attachment 144201

Manual? Manual? We don't need non stinkin' manual.

You just need the internet and a great forum. Just follow the steps in the video and -- poof! -- the orange /!\ and VSA MILs are gone. Took it for a quick ride and they didn't come back. Checked to see if it does light up as it's supposed to when you push the VSA button, since combined with VTM-4 it helps you to get unstuck if you disengage VSA. When I pushed the VSA button again to make it operational again, the light went off as it should.

Bet with this secret handshake knowledge and a Foxwell NT630 Plus scan tool you could have a successful side job of fixing this annoying VSA MIL at 50 bucks a pop. Bet there are a lot of Honda/Acura folks out there driving around with this pesky light on. A previous non-dealer professional mechanic tripped the light when changing my spark plugs 5 years ago, and despite having a whole bunch of scan tools way more sophisticated and expensive than my Foxwell NT639 Plus, just couldn't clear the code and sent me to the dealer where they used their big HDS machine to clear the code in under a minute and proceeded to charge me an arm and a leg above shop time for the pleasure.

Like the clear and helpful dude in the video says, get one and it'll pay for itself even if you don't open your VSA code clearing business on Craigslist or Kijiji.

ABS & Airbag Reset Tool with SAS Calibration_Foxwell

https://www.amazon.com/FOXWELL-Scan...&keywords=foxwell+nt630&qid=1609928862&sr=8-5

US $89.51 34% OFF|Foxwell NT630 Plus OBD2 Automotive Scanner Engine Check ABS SRS Airbag SAS Reset Crash Data ODB OBD 2 Auto Car Diagnostic Tool|car obd2|obd2 diagnosticscanner tools - AliExpress

Thanks to all who helped, even if only to pile on with the good-natured ribbing (I deserved that). A special thanks to the winner of The Man With the Yellow Hat Award: @aloogatr.

Congrats! I try to always read the manual after I'm done to see if I did it right. Or rather, to see where I went wrong.

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's the manual, FWIW. A quick scan, both with the Ctrl + F search function, and skimming through old school using my eyes, yielded no information on how to clear those VSA MILs. I suppose they can't include every function for every model in the manual, but the info must be somewhere. Besides emailing Foxwell or finding that guy's video, the info must be somewhere. Maybe there's a Honda-specific PDF manual somewhere. Unless the guy in the video was more adept at monkeying than I.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Here's the manual, FWIW. A quick scan, both with the Ctrl + F search function, and skimming through old school using my eyes, yielded no information on how to clear those VSA MILs. I suppose they can't include every function for every model in the manual, but the info must be somewhere. Besides emailing Foxwell or finding that guy's video, the info must be somewhere. Maybe there's a Honda-specific PDF manual somewhere. Unless the guy in the video was more adept at monkeying than I.
That would be a good guess ... in the Honda specific manual wherever it is. I found a Honda manual for the NT510 online here: OBD2 Auto Scan Foxwell NT510 Honda User Manual Functionlist pdf

Lo and behold ...way at the bottom of special functions ... #112. Don't ask me how you get from that to the procedure in the video. But at least it's supported. I often wonder how people figure out you have to push this button four times while standing on your head, then pick your nose and turn around three times clockwise, then squat four times and let go of the button and turn on your radio to FM 102.34 and bam, you're done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts