Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you circumvent the dealer's "we'll only look at it if we can duplicate it"?

Ever since I had the "loud thuds" experience, http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1835&highlight=riprock , I noticed the rear brakes making a slight squeaking noise when I back out of a parking spot and apply the brakes and then also once I'm going forward and I apply the brakes for the speed bumps or to come to a stop before pulling into the street. If I had the squeaks before the "loud thuds", I wouldn't be asking about this, but since I never had any squeaks at all coming from the rear brakes, I'm rather concerned about it.

When I drive out of my garage, since the car's been indoors all night, I don't get this, but let's say I've had my Pilot parked whole day at work, outdoors, usually for 8hour+ (and it still can get pretty darn cold here, even during the daytime) or even just on my driveway overnight, I get the squeaks under the conditions I described above.

So, when the service dept. of my dealership called me to inform me that the driver door moulding and the front fender's come in and they wanted to schedule an appintment to have them replaced and swap my hood with the hood of a demo they have, I also requested to have the rear brakes looked at because of the squeaking rear brake noise and the service advisor said that, "if we can duplicate the sound, then we'll take a look at the brakes, but if we can't then there's nothing we can do about it"

I'll be perfectly honest here, I didn't mention the "loud thuds" (explained in the link above) I experienced for fears of the dealer blaming the brake problem/damage on me. But I still think it was a very convinient way for the service advisor dismiss my concern. What I'm hearing is, "we want to perform the least amount of work and service for you since we're not sure whether we can bill Honda Canada or not with your problem".

So, how would you guys convince the service advisor to take your concern seriously even if they can't duplicate the problem themselves? How would you go about having them take a look at your brakes if you were told exactly what I was told and am experiencing the samething (god forbid)? As alway, any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
RipRock :

I would mension the big thud to them and let them know that this whole thing started after that thud. This is a brand new SUV, they should not blame you for that thud. They might have heard about similar problems with other Honda owners, so just be honest and see where it takes you. Keep us informed.

KE

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
When we had an "only happens first thing in the morning" problem, Honda asked us to leave the car overnight so they could try to replicate it.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KEPILOT, tracy

Thank you both for your replies. I'll mention the big thud incident I had and aks them to perhaps keep it overnight so they can try to duplicate the problem in the morning. I'll keep you guys posted, thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts